Synthetics and seal leaks??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a trans/hydraulic service on our MF 1635 a year ago, swapped out with a good quality synthetic. A few days later a brake arm seal started leaking, warranty covered it, but they put Permantran back in.

Should I have any reason to think it was just a bad seal? Or should I blame the synthetic?

Will be doing another service come spring, and would like to go back to synthetic, for its wonderful cold flow fast warm up advantages.

Synthetic lubricants don't cause leaks but are more likely to leak through a compromised seal than their conventional counterparts. You may had a "weepy" seal that became worse after the introduction of a synthetic.

I don't know why this is the case, but suppose it could be because of the more uniform, and presumably smaller, shape of synthetic molecules.

Did the leak stop after the synthetic was replaced?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Synthetic lubricants don't cause leaks but are more likely to leak through a compromised seal than their conventional counterparts. You may had a "weepy" seal that became worse after the introduction of a synthetic.

I don't know why this is the case, but suppose it could be because of the more uniform, and presumably smaller, shape of synthetic molecules.

Did the leak stop after the synthetic was replaced?

Tractor was 2 years old, had 280 hours on it. I opted to swap out the factory (Massey ferguson) Permatran with Petro Canada Duratran Synthetic for the benefit of faster warm up times.

The seal was replaced under warranty, and they put Permatran back in. We change it every 150 hours, or every other year. Maybe I should try the Duratran synthetic blend next time.

WOndering if I can switch back again?

If the leak was only in one place, maybe it was just a weak seal. If the offending seal been replaced, I don't know why synthetic fluid wouldn't work just fine. If you try it and it leaks, you can always go back to the conventional stuff. Assuming the Owner's Manual doesn't have specific requirements that exclude synthetics, of course.

Synthetic lubricants won't cause leaks (unless there is a major incompatibility), they will just bring them to light. Cheaper quality fluids cannot flow through capillary passages as well as many synthetics, not to mention many cheap fluids will swell seals. This means when you switch, the worn seal has a greater tendency to leak.

Long story short - that seal was going to fail either way. Don't blame the fluid. I'd put the synthetic back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back