Synthetic ruin Yamaha engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Boatowner
This is not about the wet clutch, which can be damaged by friction modifiers, it is about bearings not spinning, supposedly because the oil is too slick. It sounds more like a design flaw.

In a motorcycle you use a motorcycle oil because energy saving oil will damage the clutch disks. Not making them too slick, actually making them sticky. I had to replace the clutch disks on my Rebel because the previous owner did not use the correct oil.

I seem to remember reading or hearing something similar. It was on ball and
roller bearing crankshafts. The theory was the oil was so slippery the ball or roller would skid and flatspot as opposed to rolling normally. This has not prevented me from using synthetic in my ball /roller bearing cranked bikes. I like living on the edge.

Ah yes. The dreaded bearing skate. Harley invented the issue because guys were using synthetic and Harley didn't label a syn yet so of course it will ruin your engine.
The mech who built my 106 even said that Amsoil will ruin my motor and to only use syn 3. And no other fluid was compatible for the primary so only formula+ was proper. So I've been using rotella t in the primary,without any issues whatsoever.
It's amazing the bull a company will say to market a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back