synthetic oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've looked and looked and I know that's it would of been asked before, but can anyone just give me the run down on how these synthetic oils all come together.

In order or performed quality what's the different between PAO and Group 3 and so on.

I'm also wondering or wanting to be clear, what is Mobil 1 - Amsoil and Valvoline Synpower. (Australian)

THis is what the guy from Mobil just told me.

Mobil1 is Group 4 PAO synthetic

Sound right? IS this the best type of Synthetic?

This should be interesting.

There are a lot of different opinions about this very topic.
javascript:void(0)
popcorn.gif

Quote:

well I'm still waiting to fin dout what the real difference is between them!

Good question. If Mobil 1 is indeed a PAO oil as their tech people and website say it is then what is the difference between the major PAO based motor oils for sale. I'm thinking of Mobil 1 and Amsoil specifically since they are the most widely available. I assume that each of these oils uses the least expensive PAOs they can, as we know Amsoil buys at least some of its PAOs from EM. Additive packs are supplied by a handful of companies such as Lubrizol and to a novice looking at VOA/UOAs are remarkably similar. Is the real difference not in the oil itself but rather that Mobil 1 is mass marketed in the evil empire that is Walmart and that Amsoil is sold through a network of dealers in a MLM pyramid scheme? Is it really more a matter of picking how you want to buy your oils and fluids than the actual tangible differences in the oils and fluids themselves?

Relax. This oil, mobil 1 that is ,gives excellent results per UOA's. Group III or IV does not really make any difference. It is results that count and Mobil 1 gives excellent results. Price is another matter entirely.

Yeah,whatever group it is,all I know is that it`s awesome stuff! I`ve tried a few different synths,and it`s the best stuff I`ve ever used. It`s so oily and slippery that my car hits the powerband lightning-fast! I always have to be careful when I accelerate when shifting to 2nd to avoid spinning the tires.
driving.gif

Francis

Interesting article

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/engine_oil_history.shtml

From the research of Buster - Shell may use GIII in their race oils and Elf do not overdo the esters.

The majority of "true" synthetics and even GIII may use esters from 3-20% with race oils and "Boutique" oils(Maxima?) using more than 20% - Silkolene, Motul, RL.

Mobil appears more unusual in using AN instead of esters, however with their Bike oils the ester content is increased.

This is all race/performance orientated and originally race oil was Castor oil which is perhaps the fore runner to ester based race oils.

http://www.hatcocorporation.com/cgi-bin/helpdesk/faq.pl?category=c19dt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back