SYNTHETIC OIL USE IN PRESSURE WASHER PUMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it to use only a "non detergent" Dino lubricating oil in pressure washer and air compressor pumps? I would like to use a synthetic oil, but the manufacture states oils with detergents will cause carbon build up on the pump pistons. Any imput? Is this true or not?

One of my customers. http://www.hotsy.com/
Hotsy Pressure Washers uses the AMSOIL PCK compressor oil.
They were having trouble with their pumps and asked what they could use to eliminate the problem.
This was over 6 years agoan d they are VERY happy with the PCK.
They offer it to customers who run their pressure washers in the extreme.
pck_qt_300pxh.jpg

Resists Water Contamination
Water from condensation builds up in compressors that can cause unwanted oil/water emulsions, environmental discharge hazards and rust. AMSOIL PC Synthetic Compressor Oils are hydrolytically stable. They resist acid formation, readily separate from water and are anti-rust fortified. Water can be easily drained off for simplified environmental discharge and increased oil life.

I spoke to a man that had a power wash business, had the top line power washers and he used 80w/90 gear oil and said the gear oil gave him the longest time before overhaul of the pumps.

So would Mobile One synthetic 75/80 gear lube work? It is a light viscosity gear lube that is a lot thinner than most dino gear lubes.I spoke with a rep from Campbell Hausfeld today. I was told the detergeant oils cause the pump seals to leak. Sounds like a canned #@$%! answer to me.

When I ran into the problem with Hotsy I called Tech and they suggested the PCK compressor oil.
It has worked great for them. It is a non detergent oil.As for seals leaking...??? Like I said they have great success with the PCK.

PCK Compressor Oil Info

To be honest gear oil IS NOT the recommend oil .I have been useing gear oil in my powerwasher upon his recommendation . I had some Mobil 1 gear oil so that is what has been in there for 3 years .The washer gets a couple house a year use and after running the washer I check the oil and the oil is clear. My pressure washer is the Home Depot one with around 3 or 4 gallons per min.and around 3 or 4,000 psi??? I have used the mentioned Amsoil in a compressor and it is good stuff.

I'm going to take Don's advise and use the Amsoil product. I ordered one quart from the Amsoil site. One quart will last me a long time in my pressure washer.

Quote:

I'm going to take Don's advise and use the Amsoil product. I ordered one quart from the Amsoil site. One quart will last me a long time in my pressure washer.

I would agree with your decision as gear oil is not the recommended oil

Yes, I believe the pumps are the same, at least in design principle. I recieved my quart of Amsoil compressor oil. It looks like a good product. One quart will do both my pressure washer and my air compressor I believe. I hope so, as one quart of the Amsoil product cost me $15.00 and some change with shipping and handling. The base price of the product was very resonable. It was the S&H that cost like #@$%!! And that was only from Las Vegas to So CA!!!

Ok I dumped the factory fill oil on my pressure washer pump and installed the Amsoil product. I even had enough left to change out my air compressor pump oil too. Both should be good for at least five years now!

I changed the oil in the pressure washer at work almost 2yrs ago. I made the mistake of also draining the oil from the washer "pump".

After contacting customer service, they informed me, that their pumps are filled for life with a 10w30 synthetic motor oil. They said any quality synthetic motor oil will work just fine. I can't recal what brand it is off hand, but it's got an OHC honda motor on it. 2800psi.

It's used quite extensively when I'm there to wash doggie mess off the kennel floors (part time spare job) and to clean other things for intervals sometimes over 5 hours of use (of course with shut up for refuel). Have had no problems with it. I think the washer is going on 5yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back