Synthetic Oil Getting Consumed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

I'm wondering if some people on this site can give me an insight into the sudden consumption of oil by just changing to a synthetic.

The motors in question are from 3 Yamaha FXHO Crusier Waverunners. Two are mine (one is my wife's) and the other is a mates.

A little history ... The motors are 4 cyl, 4 stroke, 1052cc producing 160hp at 10,050 rpm. They are twin cam, 5 valve engines running 11.9:1 compression from the factory. They have a dry sump system and a scavenge pump pulls the oil into a tank that supplies the pressure pump to circulate the oil. The sump and tank capacity in total is 4500ml ... with approximately 2500ml being able to be sucked out via the oil tank at the specified change intervals. You only get a half change per interval ..we have all shortened the interval by half !

It is a marinised version of the Yamaha R-1 Motorcycle engine.

All 3 craft have approximately the same hours, 90,115,120 (late models 05-06s) with round 2000 hrs being the reasonable engine service life. They were run in per the Yamaha recommended method which seats the rings well and is backed up by a comp test (162psi) and the lack of oil consumption with the Yamalube 10w-30 4 stroke mineral motor oil... as recommended by Yamaha.

In the last 2 months we have changed all craft to the newish Amsoil Formula 4 stroke Marine Synthetic 10w-30, which meets FC-W spec, in an effort to minimise engine wear and have the benefit of extra corrosion additives (protection) of the FC-W spec.

Oil consumption is now happening on all 3 craft at the rate of about 500ml per 6 hrs running. We cant believe it !!! I might of added 250ml before but it was around 50 hrs running on the Yamalube.

Obviously we all want to change back to confirm that the Yamalube will now not be consumed (doubt it) The plugs all look fine and the craft are running very well ... we use Premium 98 Octane fuel from a reputable supplier ..

Can someone shed some light please ???? Why would it consume the same viscosity base oil (10w) Are the synths super runny with additives now making the 10w spec ???? What is going on ...

Thanks ... in advance ...

Regards
Anthony

With around 2000 hours, there is cleaning going on. And as the cleaning happens the oil is indeed consumed. Fairly standard when switching over. You could do an AutoRx clean and perhaps help the process along, but I doubt it will speed the over all process up, in terms of on hours.

I agree with Pablo.

Unfortunately, there is some debris that has been "cleaned" by the AMSOIL and that has loaded up your oil rings. Usually this leaves the engine if the oil is changed hot. The next oil change will be much lower consumption no matter what oil you use. Follow the advice that Pablo gave you and that should give you a fresh start the next oil change.

most performance applications engines will beat up oil and cause varnish on the rings, and oil compsumption will be an isuue, but only for a short time, keep checking and add when you need and it will finally level off, I have seen this multiple times on many different engines and always the oil compsumption eventually stops.
AutoRX may be good but I dont see any reason not to use Amsoil engine flush either

The craft only have around 100 hrs with changes every 25 or so ... the 2000 hrs is the "EXPECTED" service life. I just placed that there to show how old the engines are ....

They didnt consume the mineral oil ... ???

I've just topped up the craft again yesterday with Amsoil Formula 4 stroke Marine 10w-30 and will run them for a few more hours. I might change one craft back to the Yamalube to see if it stops ???

I really want to keep running the Amsoil. We have 3 cartons ... and I believe it is a better oil for protection but not if it keeps using it at this rate ???

One of the craft was down 1500ml because my mate only checked the the oil level like he did with the mineral ..every 3-4 rides.

The premium fuel we run has the best injector/cylinder cleaner package on the market according to the manufacturer. The plugs show no sign of carbon at all really ...

The oil changes have all been done HOT ... and with a filter each time .... Yamaha specify 100 hr change intervals ..we do them at 25 hrs ...

Regards
Anthony

how many hrs are on the Amsoil when oil is needed? and could you tell us a part# for the oil fillters?

I would still say there must be some clean up going on. WCT has an excellent low volatility rate, so I doubt it's evaporating. No carbon on the plugs and no leak....

So you haven't changed the Amsoil yet? Bare with me - I didn't see it in your posts. Are you still on the original Amsoil change?

Just thought of something. Where are you buying Amsoil in Australia? Amsoil does not have an authorized dealer network in Aus, although we do export there.

You mention 3 cartons. Are they cartons of sealed quart (12 ea.) containers?

It's winter there. Are you in the north?

Lot's of questions, I know, but please answer these and the previous post.

Quote:

Where it would be warmer this time of year.
wink.gif

I just got this from Amsoil Tech Support:

Quote:

There is no technical reason why the AMSOIL WCT would be consumed at a higher rate than the Yamaha product mentioned. We have however noted numerous reports of high oil consumption on this model PWC regardless of the type or brand of lubricant used. At the present time the cause appears mechanical and relating to engine design. We are continuing to follow this situation and will keep you posted as to any additional information that is obtained.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

Of course. I was trying to get a feel for the ambient temps. So sorry, G-man, not a "gotcha".

Aw, c'mon...you know it was a gotcha.
grin.gif

Actually, no. I almost asked why the heck would someone be PWC'ing in the south of Aus this time of year. That would make your nipples hard.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

Of course. I was trying to get a feel for the ambient temps. So sorry, G-man, not a "gotcha".

Aw, c'mon...you know it was a gotcha.
grin.gif

Actually, no. I almost asked why the heck would someone be PWC'ing in the south of Aus this time of year. That would make your nipples hard.

I hope you know I'm just picking at you.
cheers2.gif

Quote:

The craft only have around 100 hrs with changes every 25 or so ... the 2000 hrs is the "EXPECTED" service life. I just placed that there to show how old the engines are ....

I've just topped up the craft again yesterday with Amsoil Formula 4 stroke Marine 10w-30 and will run them for a few more hours. I might change one craft back to the Yamalube to see if it stops ???

I really want to keep running the Amsoil. We have 3 cartons ... and I believe it is a better oil for protection but not if it keeps using it at this rate ???

One of the craft was down 1500ml because my mate only checked the the oil level like he did with the mineral ..every 3-4 rides.

The premium fuel we run has the best injector/cylinder cleaner package on the market according to the manufacturer. The plugs show no sign of carbon at all really ...

The oil changes have all been done HOT ... and with a filter each time .... Yamaha specify 100 hr change intervals ..we do them at 25 hrs ...

Regards
Anthony

if you are changing oil every 25 hrs, and the manufacture recommends 100 hr interval, stick with the program you are learning now, you will understand the reason why you are consuming oil.
to be extra safe you change every 25 hrs, the motors are still relatively new with 100 hrs i/e first recommended oci.
I hope you extend the drain interval using the oil you have now, I am sure that it will last 2x longer than the factory rec drain interval, at least use the factory drain interval so your wallet dont hurt so bad, and if you like to know the condition of oil you can always use a oil analysis to determine the condition instead of guessing.
anyone else you know using yamalube at 100hr intervals? see if they consume oil.
just keep your engines filled with Amsoil and let time pass by, I am sure the compsumption will reside and level off, please reply with oil filter# for your craft if you can maybe amsoil has something for it?
Im sure one of the site sponsors can help you out

Quote:

Quote:

Regards
Anthony

if you are changing oil every 25 hrs, and the manufacture recommends 100 hr interval, stick with the program you are learning now, you will understand the reason why you are consuming oil.
to be extra safe you change every 25 hrs, the motors are still relatively new with 100 hrs i/e first recommended oci.
I hope you extend the drain interval using the oil you have now, I am sure that it will last 2x longer than the factory rec drain interval, at least use the factory drain interval so your wallet dont hurt so bad, and if you like to know the condition of oil you can always use a oil analysis to determine the condition instead of guessing.
anyone else you know using yamalube at 100hr intervals? see if they consume oil.
just keep your engines filled with Amsoil and let time pass by, I am sure the compsumption will reside and level off, please reply with oil filter# for your craft if you can maybe amsoil has something for it?
Im sure one of the site sponsors can help you out

Hi there,

I am the other person who owns one of these Craft which is consuming oil, only since moving to Amsoil
frown.gif

To be blunt, we would extend the oil change intervals - but we can't really - it would run out of oil between changes at the current rates that it is being consumed!

I do not believe for one minute that these craft are experiencing high oil consumption in the general market place. We have many friends with them - they are using Yamalube and not experiencing this - they are watching to see how we go on the Amsoil to decide if they will switch! Obviously, they are not aware of our situation yet as we wanted to get to the bottom of it before making a decision on what to do and if we should reccomend it?

Oil is changed with the engine HOT - ie. after at least a one hour run with a bit of WOT... it is removed at the RAMP straight after these runs in most cases...

Passivated has even used a thermocouple to ensure the engine oil temps are at true operating temp when he changes his own oil at home on the hose.

We have been using the genuine Yamaha oil filter made in Japan. I do have a couple of the "supa dupa" Amsoil filters at home to use - haven't used one yet though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back