Syntec Blend 5W-30; 1400 miles; 2010 G37

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my first "baseline" UOA for future trending comparisons. Here's the background:

1. Stock 2010 G37 Sedan 7AT (VQ37)
2. Oil change at 400 miles to Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 with PureOne filter
3. Oil change at 1400 miles to Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-30 with PureOne filter
4. Sample taken at 2800 miles on unit, 1400 miles on oil
5. 100% city/short trip driving on Sample, sometimes at freeway speeds. I drive about 14 miles a day on average (the Sample was in the engine 100 days).
6. Shell VPower gasoline with additives such as LX-2300, FPC and DSFM.
7. FilterMag in use.

Analysis by Dyson/MRT
V40C = 51.8
V100C = 9.2
Visc Indx = 162

(Sheared to 20W. Will no longer be using Syntec Blend)

TBN = 4.4
TAN = 2.39

Flash = 380
Fuel = 0.568
Oxid = 12
Nit = 7

(Excellent combustion efficiency with Nitration at 7 and Fuels dilution at 0.568 - can the rings be sealed already??? I hope I can keep Nit/Fuels at those levels)

Soot = 0

(PureOne doing its job)

Glycol = 0.12

(Apparently Castrol uses some Glycol in their oil)

Additive Metals
Calcium = 2107
Magnesium = 9
Zinc = 917
Phosph = 743
Moly = 27
Barium = 0
Antimony = 0
Boron = 17

Contaminent Metals
Silicon = 48
Sodium = 83
Pot = 3
Vanad = 0

(The silicon is high. But I have seen much higher silicon readings on UOAs from fresh G37 engines. I expect this to trend down through break in).

Wear Metals
Iron = 18
Copper = 72
Lead = 5
Chrom = 0
Alum = 7
Tin = 0
Nickel = 0
Titan = 0
Silver = 0

(Pretty pleased here. All of the wear metals are at or near "Universal Averages" already except for Copper. And I have seen much higher copper readings on UOAs from fresh VQ37 engines. Further, I expect Copper, Iron, Lead and Aluminum to trend down through break in).

I will be running EcoPower 10W-30 from ~2.9K to ~6K miles on unit with another PureOne, sampling at ~3K miles on oil.

I don't think the oil sheared too much. It seems to be the norm for most even synthetic oils to shear. Even Castrol Syntec and Edge shear down to 9.0-9.2 after few k miles if you look at reports here.

Report looks good for the 3rd oil change on the engine which is still breaking in. If you take into account 100 days of service and city driving it looks even better. I would suggest you try just regular synthetic oil next time (any major brand of your choice).

Don't know anything about EcoPower but I would suggest going with 5w30 for because engine is very new.

Thanks for posting this CougarRed. I'm sure that's a sweet car you have there. I'm not sure how you can enjoy it driving the Houston streets though! It needs to get out of town and stretch its legs.

Where did you find the EcoPower? I looked around the Houston area a few weeks ago and could only find two dealerships that had it. Is that where you bought it?

One other thing to point out about this UOA is the very low fuel dilution %. With 14 miles a day of Houston city driving, this should be much higher.

So far I have only seen two Dyson UOA's that show this low Fuel%, and both people used LE L-X 2300 fuel additive. I know it's only two data points, but that's encouraging!

INDYMAC

I bought the EcoPower through SafetyKleen's online store. It was $48 for 12 quarts shipped.

For those who don't know, EcoPower is 100% recycled oil. Trying to do my part for the environment.

There is very limited UOA testing of it, but from what I have seen it provided first class wear protection in the face of significant fuel dilution.

My sump holds 5.2 qts so I'll get 2 UOAs out of it to share with everyone. At the rate I am driving, however, I'm looking at ~7 months for a 3000 mile OCI, so it may take awhile!

I use the LX-2300 as directed - I dump a 16 oz container into a full tank every 1000 miles. On fill ups in between, I'm using 2-4 oz of the DSFM mixed with Fuel Performance Catalyst (FPC).

Thanks for posting - don't see many UOA's on Castrol Syntec Blend at all on here!

Hard to tell how 'well' the oil did this early in engine life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back