Synlube UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposted to the correct forum to aid searches for those interested in the topic:

Quote:
Iron
Chromium
Nickel
Aluminum
Lead
Copper
Tin
Silver
Titanium
Silicon
Boron
Sodium
Potassium
Molybdenum
Phosphorus
Zinc
Calcium
Barium
Magnesium
Antimony
Vanadium

Feb 26, 2010
FIAT X1/9 @ 173,055 Miles on 2/20/2010 = 83,005 miles on the SynLube since 1988 !

Analysts, Inc. Western U.S.
3401 Jack Northrop Ave., Hawthorne, CA 90250

Quote:
VIS CS
40°C

STATUS WAS
NORMAL ON 26-Feb-10

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1811132&page=11

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally posted by Houckster:
I have received the results of the testing by Staveley Fluids Analysis performed for SynLube.

In general, everything tested normal except for copper and silicon which had readings of 44 and 40 respectively. The report indicates that this is probably associated with normal engine break-in. As of this time, my engine seems to run just fine and my current 4-tank MPG average is 20.4 which is high for a 4.0L V-6 Ranger that's primarily driven in city/suburban light traffic conditions.

The oil has 15.3K on it. During this time only 4 oz. of oil was consumed and it was replaced by 4 oz. of Service Fill.

Here are the other readings:

iron: 79
chromium: 3
lead: 1
tin: 0
aluminum: 3
nickel: 5
silver: 0
boron: 18
sodium: 5
magnesium: 285
calcium: 2838
barium: 0
phosphorus: 712
zinc: 836
molybdenum: 539
titanium: 0
vanadium: 0
potassium: 0
fuel: vol
viscosity @ 40 C: 117.5
viscosity @ 100 C: 15.77
water: 0%/vol
soot/solids: 0.3
glycol: negative
TBN: 3.7
VI: 142

Pulled from Noria.

36.gif

Well, it doesn't appear to be harmful. I'd like to see the TBN on the 83,000 mile OCI above. Hard to imagine that. Looks pretty good if true.

Big discrepancy in Moly between the two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That 40C viscosity seems very high.

What about the IRON, that seems high too.

The oil has 15.3K on it and an IRON reading of 79

It would be interesting to see what the iron reading on this oil would be like when this Synlube Oil gets to 50,000 miles.

I am only posting this for informational purposes on the product tested. I really do not want to see another long uninformative thread.

Quote:
Iron = Fe
Conventional Petroleum or Synthetic oils will NOT show ANY Iron in FRESH OIL

SynLube™ however due to unique chemical formulation has typically 50 PPM in the INITIAL FILL OIL and about 75 PPM in the ADD OIL of Iron, because some of the ""sacrificial"" antioxidants contain Fe atoms in their chemical molecular make up.

Normally laboratories "Flag" Fe if PPM is greater than 100, although levels below 1,000 rarely translate into any mechanical problems or abnormal wear even in a Conventional Oil.

For practical purposes about 100 should be subtracted from the Lab report to project any "wear" and that is only simple rule.

Labs also usually test oils that are Frequently Changed, therefore oil that remain in the engine for over 10,000 miles will have much higher reading than oil that is changed every 3,000 miles.

The ONLY reliable indication of Relative wear is installation of TriMagnets onto the motor oil filter and replacing the oil filter at regular intervals (2 years or 25,000 miles). Cutting the filter apart with appropriate tool and inspecting visually the quantity and quality of the iron deposits that were trapped by the TriMagnet is much more reliable indication of wear since 80 to 90% engine wear is Ferro-magnetic.

Other less reliable method is taking the Fe reading from lab report, subtracting 100 PPM and dividing that by the miles on the oil.

Example: 114-100 = 14/12,000 = 0.00116

If the Fe value is LESS than 0.01 there is NO NEED for concern about the Iron reading

It seems odd that copper is missing in that 2nd one. Do some labs not test for copper?

ETA: Nevermind, I see it now.

Last edited:
Silicon is also missing which is very odd since Synlube is supposed to contain silicone.

Quote:
However SynLube™ uses silicone based anti-foam agents in most of the Lube-4-Life™ fluids, therefore silicone levels in 200 to 250 PPM are NORMAL for the formulations and can be as high as 500 PPM for ATF or PSF.

33.gif

Quote:
In general, everything tested normal except for copper and silicon which had readings of 44 and 40 respectively.

I have not looked closely at the 2nd UOA in 2 years.

Thanks for the added info. Those comments make the results a little too good to be true. Maybe it does work as advertised. I didn't realize the makeup oil after initial install is different.

I could still never put a 50w in my engine no matter how good the results were.

Last edited:
I've never used the stuff and don't know much about it but I am wondering if a "respected" member of this site were to run it in one of his beater cars and post the results if anyone would accept his results...

It is obvious that some of you, while badmouthing SynLube are starting yet another thread ! Interesting, is that a masochist thing ?

Anyway my car had SynLube installed at I believe 600 miles or so back in November 1979 and the oil was changed only once at 90,000 miles and the test is from when I changed the oil filter and the sample was from the filter, so theoretically the worst possible as the filter is almost horizontal and has to be rotated to get it off so any stuff that settled on what would have been the "bottom side" got mixed up when removing the filter.

Still the mileage was

FIAT X1/9 @ 173,055 Miles on 2/20/2010 = 83,005 miles on the SynLube since 1988 !

So it is not 13K or what ever someone stated by REALLY 83,000 miles.

As for the "multi" oil this is the explanation:

The INITIAL FILL is 33% by volume colloids, PTFE, Graphite, Moly and the oil looks like thick black paint when poured out from the bottle at 70 F or so.

I have drained "warm" oil form few vehicles over the years and the FORD OEM oil even "warm" pours out like water, the SynLube of course I do not drain out, but the filter when I removed it was too hot to touch so I used a wrench to get it off, and the SynLube was still quite viscous but not much different from "cold".

SO the INITIAL FILL is used ONLY once when you put it in the vehicle FIRST, then when some oil inevitably gets consumed, as the LIQUID portion burns, the ADD OIL (Used to be called X-tra) is used to replenish the oil level.

In my case depending how I drive it is 6,000 to 10,000 miles or about 2 years when I need to add about total of 1 Liter (usually add only about 200 to 250 cc at a time).

The ADD OIL is slightly grayish and lot less viscous, it is only the PAO with additives I am told.

I have oil temperature gauge on the FIAT X1/9 and YUGO, it is not unusual to have it in 260 to 280 F range, I have installed them After I got Maserati Q porte that had one, and while the coolant was 190 F the motor oil would go past 320 F on the gauge going up Baker Grade to Las Vegas on I-15 every time !

I think Italians can not design engines that do not ruin oil, so may be that is why AGIP was one of the first companies to have Synthetic Oil - anyway that is another story, but in the Q porte SynLube reduced the peak temperature by about 40 to 50 F on the same incline at 90 MPH (about 105 F in the shade if there was one) so that INSTANTLY was a proof to me that it does something that no other oil does, I had CASTROL, MOTUL and MOBIL 1 in the Q porte and used to change the oil every 2,500 miles - absolutely no difference in the peak temperature - but with SynLube I thought at first that the gauge did n0to work properly, it was so much difference.
When I got the YUGO which was not new I have also ran on CASTROL for a change or two, installed VDO temp gauge instead of the drain plug and to my surprise the YUGO got almost to the same temperature on the same incline (at 82 MPH) as the Q porte used to at 90 MPH – 320 F on the gauge !!!
It was probably almost year later that I drove the YUGO the same was but this time with SynLube and the temp was at 250 F (normally it is about 220 when engine is warm) so what a difference !
I have also found out that Motor Oil temperature at least on the Italian engines rises dramatically with “LOAD” like “up hill, while on FORD or GM it only goes up with engine speed, i.e RPM make it hot but not any difference up hill

No idea why and so far no one has answered that, care comment on that ?

Also the Motor oil is 20 to 50 F hotter than the coolant on all cars I had that had both gauges that I could consider reliable (VDO and not the OEM).

Yes, a picture of a car would be a lot more pleasing than people arguing back and forth over Synlube.

We are interested in the oil in the car, but in the end the oil protects the car that we like to see and drive. Regardless what oil is in the car, in the end what we remember is the car and driving the car.

I just finsihed watching the movie Gran Torino. I really would have liked to have been able to drive THAT car!

Last edited:
Ankhmaat I started this thread in an effort to provide the actual data people constantly ask to see. If this thread provides a way for people to find these 2 UOA's during a search then it has done its job. I have never bashed the product but I do ask very specific questions that never seem to receive direct answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back