Switched from fram PH series to Purloator...WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is my first post after lurking for awhile and gathering info...This is the coolest forum...I'm glad I'm not the only one in the world that's OCD about oil!

Anyway, I had been using a fram ph series for my wife's Isuzu Rodeo and we noticed strange things at startup like a hesitation is probably the best way I can explain it...

After reviewing the study and seeing how restricted the fram looked on the "out PSI" numbers I thought that it might be what was causing the weird startup so I decided to try the Purolator premium plus.

Problem instantly solved...I don't know for sure what it could be about the two filters that would make such a dramatic difference but I do like it! Starts easier than butter and also the motor is a little quieter...Big difference.

You can't beat a forum like this for educating the consumer.

For my truck, the Purolator L10193 has more than twice as much filter area as a Fram PH 3950. I think I can get either one at Advance auto for about $4. It is a shame so many people unknowingly use Fram. I never had valve clatter at start up when I was using Fram on my truck, but it doesn't have hydraulic lifters.

When hydraulic lifters first came out, start up clatter was normal because most people were using straight 30 weight oil, or 20 in the winter. Multigrade oils and a filter that works properly have largely eliminated the wait for valve lifters to pump up.

Doesn't surprise me that you have less noise with Purolator.

FRAM oil filters are junk
frown.gif
, but their air filters are excellent .
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back