Sway Bar Links? Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you live in a bumpy area then I would grease it once every 4~6mnths.

while you have your vehicle jacked up, might as well check all the suspension components for wear: ball joints, tie rod ends, rubber components, etc.

If you are operating in a smooth road: e.g. mostly highways w/o portholes, less swing/sway, etc. then you can lower it to about once every 8~10mnths or longer.

Q.

mechtech,

Many aftermarket supplier now makes/supplies greasable sway bar end links:

(for example: 04 camry 2AZFE):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1434115,parttype,7580

Deeza has greasable end links, and I believe Mervotech ones are also "geasable" also.

Q.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I have never seen a sway bar link that was greasable.
What parts are you referring to?

Mine are Moog K80104 and have zerk fittings for lubrication. These are Sway Bar End Links for a 03 Mazda Tribute.

These have a ball joint on each end and are attached with one nut on each end usually found on cars with struts,the link goes from the bar to a hole in the leg.GM also uses these a lot,W body rears and Devilles come to mind but i'm sure there are many others.Moog replacements usually have grease fittings.

Last edited:
I went over 15,000 miles before regreasing the Moog end links on my Saturn. The grease was still OK so I could have waited longer.

Moog's Tech Line told me that I should grease them at every oil change, or about every 3,000 miles.

For a common grease, a moly chassis grease is great.

I gotta look up those greasable end links. How can you grease the end links with a fitting?
MAIN BAR bushings make of poly can and should be greased, of course.
All end links that I have seen simply use a bolt and nut, with washers and rubber/poly bushings.
Heim joints are another story.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For a common grease, a moly chassis grease is great.

I gotta look up those greasable end links. How can you grease the end links with a fitting?
MAIN BAR bushings make of poly can and should be greased, of course.
All end links that I have seen simply use a bolt and nut, with washers and rubber/poly bushings.
Heim joints are another story.

Numerous Fords have a ball joint type connection for endlinks. My Volvo uses them for both the chassis and suspension ends on the front and rear bars.

i have seen aftermarket endlinks that are literally 2 outer tie rod ends with a threaded sleeve holding them together.

These things look like two little tie rod ends on a rod,not really a Heim joint.
I have never seen the common through bolt type with any sort of lube fitting either.

I haven't learned to post pictures yet but RockAuto shows the Mervotec MK80104 with the grease fittings just like my Moog. You cannot see the fittings on the Moog in the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back