Supply duct disconnected

Sorry for the grainy pic, but this is a shot that I took with a snake camera inserted through a ceiling diffuser in my lower level revealing the reason why I've never been able to feel any air flow out of this particular vent :mad: Not sure if it was like this since the build in 1996, or if a cleaning done by previous owners could have caused this? Regardless, this connection is roughly 2-3 feet down from the 90 degree elbow that meets the diffuser, so I think I'm going to try removing the diffuser and reaching my arm in there to see if I can grab it. Any other ideas to try to mend this without destroying drywall to access it? This is in the ceiling of a fully finished basement.
1705185732822.jpg

Nice work locating the issue. The good thing about sheetrock is it's fixable and fairly easy to work with. Best of luck & I'm sure you'll get it connected again. Call a HVAC to see what it'd cost & go from there. It might be something they can do for a reasonable fee?

looks like the elbo came apart?,, if so try to get at it from back side?? may want to consider flex duct to repair,,,or put on a pair of latex gloves and try to snake it back into position ,griping sides with a fist and the gloves,,,then some super sticky tape good luck

looks like the elbo came apart?,, if so try to get at it from back side?? may want to consider flex duct to repair,,,or put on a pair of latex gloves and try to snake it back into position ,griping sides with a fist and the gloves,,,then some super sticky tape good luck
Yeah I though about possibly using flex duct, but ideally I'd like to try snaking it back into place and using duct tape on the inside as needed, assuming I can reach.

Can you remove the diffuser from the ceiling to get better access?
Yes, when I end up reaching up in there I'll have the diffuser off to get my arm in and up to the elbow. I'm 6'3" so hoping I have enough arm length to get to the disconnected joint.

Yes, when I end up reaching up in there I'll have the diffuser off to get my arm in and up to the elbow. I'm 6'3" so hoping I have enough arm length to get to the disconnected joint.
Just a safety note. Wear good leather gloves and long sleeves when you try this. Tape your sleeves to your gloves (like hazmat). The way you'll have to reach through the end of the pipe will put your wrists/forearms in peril, in addition to your hands. I worked with those sheet metal ducts for years and they will absolutely open you up before you even feel it. They can be as thin as 30ga steel, which can cut you razor-blade quick. I have a ton of scars, including a perma-nunb finger tip I almost lost. Lol.

Also, whoever installed these ducts did shoddy work. They're supposed to be screwed together, not just taped.

Well, my arm fully extended up in the pipe gets me about 6 inches short unfortunately. I was able to shift the pipe to better align the two, however they are still disconnected. This might be the best I can do.
1000001360.jpg

I put in an inspection panel for access to a tub drain in the ceiling beneath it. Nothing bothers me worse than connections with no access to them :cool:

Back