Supertech ST3600 Meets my dremel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running these filters on my 1989 ford aerostar 3.0 with no problems, but I thought I would open one up to see how well the quality is. Media seems super tough, the spacing of the media needs some work, what do you all think? Oh, check out the picture of the box, too bad the makers of Supertech oil filters can't spell. It says Super Tech Filters are warranted against defecs in desing. Maybe they meant Defects in design. I personally will keep using ST oil filters because I think they are good enough for my 2500-3000 mile oil changes.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

i'm glad my supertech filters are made in the U.S.

it lets me know that i'm helping out the economy AND getting a decent filter with even pleats
wink.gif

i guess the mexican filters have less quality control?

I imagine that it is probably only a matter of time until all Champ. Labs filters are made in Mexico or some other low cost place.

Personally I would use a Motorcraft in your application for very little extra money.

John

Quote:
( I personally will keep using ST oil filters because I think they are good enough for my 2500-3000 mile oil changes. )

I agree at 1 buck less than the Motorcraft every 3rd Supertech filter is free and I use them on my daughters 3.0 but still use the Motorcraft of Mom's 4.6 which see's 9 month intervals usually .

For the 3.0 though I'm tempted to use the FL-1 equivilant " guessing ST-8A ? " as it has the same bypass setting as the 3600 and looks like it will physically fit if I move the starter wire .

Thanks for the pics
cheers.gif

That bypass valve in the ST3600 is a joke! Is this what people are calling a "clicker" design?

The valve used in the ST7317 is quite different with a spring-loaded rubber and metal disk sealing against metal.

Go with the Motorcraft filter. The Supertech you cut apart is made with some obvious production errors. I have said it before on other posts, but the center tube on the Supertech (ST2) was extremely flimsy and easily dented with my finger when I cut one apart.
gr_eek2.gif

The Motorcraft center tube was very rigid and I could not dent is with my finger. That and the silicone ADBV on the Motorcraft would make me select the Motorcraft.

quote:

Originally posted by FordSVTGuy:
Go with the Motorcraft filter. The Supertech you cut apart is made with some obvious production errors. I have said it before on other posts, but the center tube on the Supertech (ST2) was extremely flimsy and easily dented with my finger when I cut one apart.
gr_eek2.gif

The Motorcraft center tube was very rigid and I could not dent is with my finger. That and the silicone ADBV on the Motorcraft would make me select the Motorcraft.

I used Supertech filters on my F150 but I agree that the Motorcraft is a better value. At Wally World the Motorcraft is only a buck more and very high quality. I wouldn't stress out about using a ST filter if the Motorcraft shelf was bare but given the choice I'd go with the Motorcraft.

Im going to cut open a Motorcraft FL-400S (3600 equiv) after this auto-RX Im running. It wont be clean, but Im going to take pics of the guts to see if ARX puts any sludge and crap in the filter. How do I post pics?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
i'm glad my supertech filters are made in the U.S.

it lets me know that i'm helping out the economy AND getting a decent filter with even pleats
wink.gif

i guess the mexican filters have less quality control?

It says right there in the pictures "producto de mexico". Look at the black cap.

I wouldn't worry about the center tube collapsing, because you need a very large pressure differential to collapse it.

I'd be worried about that clicker-type bypass valve. I can't figure out how those things work. If you're betting the life of your engine that that bottom flat spring plate will lift away from the holes (against the oil pressure pushing it in)when the pressure rises, then you're insane.

Simple physics: the sum of all forces equals zero in a static environment. The forces on the top (inner) side of that plate are minimal because the surface area is small. The surface area of the bottom, or outer side of that plate is large, creating a large pressure differential, forcing the plate against the holes.

And since the pressure differential is less on the inside of the filter media, it is literally "sucking" the clicker valve up against the holes, preventing flow. The net effect is constant positive pressure on the plate keeping the holes closed.

Go with the Motorcraft, or another SuperTech with a different bypass valve.

go to http://www.photobucket.com and get free pic hosting. You can upload through the browser and they even give you UBB code you can cut & paste into your postings here.

Other free photo hosting sites have software you have to run on your computer which reeks of spyware.

Of course your ISP probably has some personal web space you can use, too.

Slalom44 - What you say about the center tube not collapsing seems reasonable enough. The fact is that the other manufacturers make their center tube very rigid and not flimsy. Given the choice I will take a filter that has the better components, especially when the price is only a buck more...

Love the Motorcraft for $2.97 at Wally World...

how can people who can not spell be good at quality control?
(there actually are a few people in mexico that speak and write English)

their defect is on every box side.
wonder how many defecs inside

[ April 25, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

quote:

how can people who can not spell be good at quality control?
(there actually are a few people in mexico that speak and write English)

their defect is on every box side.
wonder how many defecs inside

LOL
do you think it's the same person? maybe their factory is so small their package designer is also their QC suprevisor? they are also too cheap to use a design program with a spell check?
if that were the case every japanese machine (autos, motorcycles, electronics...) i've ever read the owners manual would be defective because every one of them has bad grammer in it.
dunno.gif

i do find it terrible when any product has grammer and spelling errors in it. when you buy a name brand product that has been doing business in the US (or canada) for a long time they had better have someone proofread thier literature.
twak.gif

spend the extra .80 or so and get the FL400S Motorcraft - cut it open and than decide!! It's a better looking filter with a better bypass valve and a better backflow valve. What you are using is still a better filter than the FRAM thought.

Motorbike's line of reasoning doesn't seem very rational.

The $1 difference in price between ST and Motorcraft is so small that I do not understand why anyone would use the obviously lower quality product for such a trivial savings.

$1.00 is less than cost of one gallon of gasoline. Less than the cost of one cup of coffee at the cheapest place imaginable.

We see evidence that at least the Mexican made ST filters have poorly spaced media and a highly "economical" bypass valve design and yet people defend their use as a money saver while doing under 3,000 mile oil changes. The cheapo productions rubber ADBV is nothing for Champion to be proud about either. This product shows all the design hallmarks of being built as cheaply as possible, compromises be ****ed.

Any company which doesn't care enough to even get the spelling right on their box is not a company which I would trust to do anything else right. If they cannot be bothered to spell "defecs" correctly, what makes a person think that they are making sure that the filter paper meets it's associated specificiations and requirements?

Oh well, it's your money!

John

quote:

Originally posted by Stoney57:
Been running these filters on my 1989 ford aerostar 3.0 with no problems, but I thought I would open one up to see how well the quality is. Media seems super tough, the spacing of the media needs some work, what do you all think? Oh, check out the picture of the box, too bad the makers of Supertech oil filters can't spell. It says Super Tech Filters are warranted against defecs in desing. Maybe they meant Defects in design. I personally will keep using ST oil filters because I think they are good enough for my 2500-3000 mile oil changes.

That filter looks mighty close to the ST3675 which is the longer version for my 02 Z28. Have you ever put those two side by side? I like the ST filters....cheap, well built and able to handle long drains. The spacing isn't the best, especially at the seam, but other than that, they are very good.

[ April 25, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Motorbike's line of reasoning doesn't seem very rational.

The $1 difference in price between ST and Motorcraft is so small that I do not understand why anyone would use the obviously lower quality product for such a trivial savings.

$1.00 is less than cost of one gallon of gasoline. Less than the cost of one cup of coffee at the cheapest place imaginable.

We see evidence that at least the Mexican made ST filters have poorly spaced media and a highly "economical" bypass valve design and yet people defend their use as a money saver while doing under 3,000 mile oil changes. The cheapo productions rubber ADBV is nothing for Champion to be proud about either. This product shows all the design hallmarks of being built as cheaply as possible, compromises be ****ed.

Any company which doesn't care enough to even get the spelling right on their box is not a company which I would trust to do anything else right. If they cannot be bothered to spell "defecs" correctly, what makes a person think that they are making sure that the filter paper meets it's associated specificiations and requirements?

Oh well, it's your money!

John

I think you are confusing the ST filter with Fram's.
I took an ST3675 to 4k miles in my Camaro and the replacement ST for my wife's Corolla to 6k miles. Insolubles were fine in both vehicle and wear was very low as well. Many others have had good results as well.

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
spend the extra .80 or so and get the FL400S Motorcraft - cut it open and than decide!! It's a better looking filter with a better bypass valve and a better backflow valve. What you are using is still a better filter than the FRAM thought.

Do they sell the Motorcraft at Wally's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back