Supertech HM: Is it a blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using a HM oil in my 2001 Dodge Dakota and my wife's 2003 Honda Accord. My truck has 163K, her car has 135K. Current fills are QSGB 10W30 in my truck, Mobil Super 5000 5W20 in her car. Both vehicles will burn about half a quart in 2000 miles. I had to add half a quart to my truck last week, added half a quart to her car today.

I have been reading up on HM oil, I know our oil consumption is perfectly normal, however I am reading up to see if I might want to try HM oil, see if her car and my truck might run any better and use any less oil. Plus I have been searching and reading a lot about ST oil here, it appears to be a good quality oil.

We were at WM today, I read the back of the ST bottles. ST HM says it is "formulated with a unique combination of premium base oils and enhanced additive system to provide increased performance in high mileage engines". I wonder if this means the ST HM is a synthetic blend or is it a regular dino conventional with extra additives like it says..

I will have to use the Mobil Super 5000 HM in my wife's car, unless I can find Peak HM or one of the store brand Warren HM oils in 5W20. I plan to check for PEAK HM 5W20 at Dollar General later this week when they have their BOGO sale. WM does not carry a quart bottle of ST HM in 5W20. I didn't see it in the 5.1 quart jug either. On the ST regular and HM oils, they both said "WSE" on the bottom of the bottle. Both were SN and the conventional was $2.74/quart, HM was $3.77/quart. MS5K was also $3.77/quart, MS5K HM was $4.52. Maxlife was $4.97.

I would rather not use a blend in my truck. I ran the Kendall GT1 Blend a while back, did not like it very much. Truck ran a lot noisier and I got a few less MPG on it. I have run Maxlife in my truck before, I lost MPG with it too. I would like to find a good HM dino for my truck. I can run a good blend in my wife's car without any problem, it does not seem to be particular about oil at all. Both the ST HM and regular ST had the energy conserving seal on the bottle, so it makes me think the HM may be a conventional too, not a semi-syn blend.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I could not find it if it has been asked. Thanks for any info on it.

Even the conventional oil of today is nearly the syn blend equivalent of SM, the requirement of meeting the new SN cert is so tough that the actual titles like conv, semi-syn, syn are becoming more of just a category name and less of what the base oil really is. We will see the margins of difference in performance between these category's become less and less as the years and requirements for new cert's move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
All SN "dino/conventional" may some group III in it due to the stringent requirements.

FWIW, Pennzoil HM isn't labeled as synthetic blend, either.

Regardless, don't let that s-word fool you. Maxlife is a great product! The original HM oil, and still one of the best. According to Valvoline's website, Maxlife has always been a syn blend, so that shouldn't really be a concern.

Well now that I read in another thread Walmart is changing to Citgo for the ST oil supplier, I will probably just go with Mobil Super 5000 HM or possibly Peak HM if I can find it at a decent price. I will not use any product made by Citgo or BP. I have read good posts here how MC5K HM did not cause any MPG decreases. If I keep using conventional MC5K I will probably better off to just add half a quart when either vehicle needs it. The regular MC5K in Mrs. Jimmy's car is doing fine, I was just looking for a way to possibly slow or stop the consumption by using HM.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Well now that I read in another thread Walmart is changing to Citgo for the ST oil supplier, I will probably just go with Mobil Super 5000 HM or possibly Peak HM if I can find it at a decent price. I will not use any product made by Citgo or BP. I have read good posts here how MC5K HM did not cause any MPG decreases. If I keep using conventional MC5K I will probably better off to just add half a quart when either vehicle needs it. The regular MC5K in Mrs. Jimmy's car is doing fine, I was just looking for a way to possibly slow or stop the consumption by using HM.

uhh what?

I've used a case of Citgo 5w30 in my old Civic and current Integra and never lost any mpg or gained any performance side effects so what makes you think any Citgo product reduce mpg or be a worse oil than MC5K?

Don't tell me this is some "oil spill" problem....

Last edited by a moderator:
If i can add my 2 cents...change the PCV valves. have you ever tried using 2 cycle oil in your gas? 2 ozs. per 10 gallons, supposed to clean the piston tops, long enough in the oil via gas injection, clean the rings. or maybe half a quart of marvel mystery oil inplace of oil? unclean pistons can also burn oil, so ive read. totay clean it with oi, or sure...mobil 1 high mileage synthetic, or pennzoil ultra..clean everything down too the rings.

Both vehicles are very well maintained. I just put a new PCV in my truck last week, hers has less than 5,000 miles on it. I would rather not discuss the use of MMO here.

I really never did buy into the high mileage oil idea anyway. I think I will just stock up on the conventional Peak BOGO deal at Dollar General later this week, pick up a case of 10W30 and a case of 5W20 and top off every 2K like I have been doing all along. Burning half a quart per 2K is perfectly acceptable, neiether vehicle leaks any oil or has any performance issues. I have just been wondering about the advantages of HM oil. $1.80 per quart for Peak/Warren is a very good deal, about half the price of most other brand name oils at WM.

I have my reasons for not using BP or Citgo products. I would rather not discuss that here either.

Thanks for the info here.

The switch is regional.

If the oil is made by WPP(Warren Performance Packaging),it is not a blend according to them .It is grp II.

Oil made by WPP will have either WPP,WNE or WSE on the bottom of the oil container.

Originally Posted By: volk06

The switch is regional.

Thanks. As long as ST down here in Florida is still Warren, I will use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back