Supertech 80W90 in Kubota Front Axle

So I just put seals in the axle of my Kubota B2910. Manual calls for GL-4 or GL-5. Supertech 80W90 is GL5 which should be a better high pressure lube than the factory UDT or synthetic UDT (GL-4). I expect it had the factory load of plain UDT. I am mainly going cheap to make sure I don't have any leaks. I may upgrade to synthetic once I am confident I don't have leaks. Most of these axles fail from being overloaded or severe corrosion. Any down sides to doing this. No signs of wear inside after 25yrs of use.

So I just put seals in the axle of my Kubota B2910. Manual calls for GL-4 or GL-5. Supertech 80W90 is GL5 which should be a better high pressure lube than the factory UDT or synthetic UDT (GL-4). I expect it had the factory load of plain UDT. I am mainly going cheap to make sure I don't have any leaks. I may upgrade to synthetic once I am confident I don't have leaks. Most of these axles fail from being overloaded or severe corrosion. Any down sides to doing this. No signs of wear inside after 25yrs of use.
i’d run the ST and change it once a year, it meets the machines requirements. the factory bulk kept it clean for 25 years.

I did the same thing a few days ago on a BX here https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/post-your-latest-hdeo-change.349308/post-6813147

No downsides, and 75w90 would be fine too. To contrast John Deere however usually insists on hygard.

Here is the BX 2350 manual excerpt

1709991147394.jpg

Last edited:
I am mainly going cheap to make sure I don't have any leaks.
The way I read this, it seems like you've already made up your mind. Why not try Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90? It's affordable, easy to find, and it's on the PRI list of tested and approved gear oils. The saying "Save a buck now, spend a few hundred later" is very familiar to me too.

I got it back together and no leaks. It is foaming pretty bad. Looks like milk. No water in it though. Will the foam hurt anything?

Back