Super Tech or Harvest King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please discuss. I changed oil on a neighbor/co workers ranger with some HK 5w30 and a Tough Guard. He noticed I use Super Tech oil and asked which is better. I said both are good API certified oils. What say the BITOG faithful?

I personally dont have a problem using either oil
wink.gif

Last edited:
I am with the others, both are good oils, whichever one is cheaper/more convenient to get is what I would use. I have no HK around, so for me ST would be it.

If I ever run out of my clearance/rebate/sale oil stash, ST Syn will be my oil.

Originally Posted by CT8
Define better.

I asked him and he couldn't tell me. That's when I said they both are API certified
wink.gif

In those markets where SuperTech is *actually* a Citgo product, then:

HK = ST.... exactly the same.

We all know SuperTech can come from any random bottling source and it depends a lot on region.

Harvest King is generally understood to be a Citgo-sourced product.

Lastly - -- .. --- .. -- ... it is all API SN certified, so just run what's cheaper (for most folks)

Originally Posted by Linctex
... Harvest King is generally understood to be a Citgo-sourced product. ...
There was a recent thread to the effect that Rural King has reverted to Warren Oil, at least in some areas.

Bought a bottle of HK (Citgo) to top up a half quart underfilled Maxlife, so I guess price is the determinate.

If everything was the same price, I'd prefer WPP to Warren Oil because they're good at answering questions. I'd prefer Warren Oil to Citgo cause I don't exactly trust Venezuelans. And yet when the chips were down I bought HK because I saved a buck or so.

Depending on the region, they're from the same brewer and could very well be the same oil.

Either way, I'd buy based on price.

They're both full-syns that carry Dexos1, not sure if one is better regarding more certs. All being equal, I'd say HK based on price.

Well let me confuse things a little lol. I use both ST and HK products here and there. You can't beat a 5qt jug of HK for $9.99 and their full syn is $12.99 so you save a few bucks over ST cost at walmart. Now, the regular ST is conventional but the regular HK bottle states that it is semi-syn so....one could speculate you are getting a slightly better product at less costs with the HK over ST. Comparing ST syn and HK syn, both are syn and Dexos but HK is a few dollars less cost.

So, based on this NON data based assumptions - the HK would be the winner based on lower cost and the semi-syn aspect of the regular version.

Last edited:
We don't have the stores that sell HK around here, but the prices sound fantastic and I'd have no problem with using their synthetic.
My #1 issue with ST synthetic is that I can get major brand synth cheaper with rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back