Super Duke R 1290

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik

Seems it's on its way to production:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/667/17131/...First-Look.aspx

180 hp, 106 lb-ft of torque, with 73 of that available at a lowly 2500 rpm....... should be fun
smile.gif

If they put this engine into a more practical SMT package it would sure be tough NOT to buy......
990smt2.jpg

Look at all that carrying capacity of those saddle bags.And all that wind protection. Does it come with a matching back pack? Just what the world needs ,another bike that will go twice the highest speed limit posted in our country. What exactly is the point of that thing? Maybe if those guys in New York rode one of these, they wouldn't be in jail right now.,,

I hope its going to have an orange frame! I have a soft spot for KTM and their chromoly trellis frames. And its not the fact that it will go twice the fastest speed limit, its the acceleration that really counts.

and the handling, the braking, and the responsiveness... things many can obviously not relate to...... sadly, they are too blinded by their ignorance to know these things can be appreciated at quasi-legal speeds..... oh well, their loss.......

speaking of which, it's nice out, so I am off to go riding..... should have time for a couple hundred miles anyhow (ie. the equivalent to an entire season for some, lol); would love to stay and bicker with the trolls but I have better things to do......

Impressive specs, but Im only lukewarm on the looks. Take the bags off and reshape the front fender and I think it would clean up a little more.

KTMs are nice from far but far from nice. In plain terms they are pure nightmares when they start going "downhill" as a friend of mine that had 4 of them in the last 6 years noticed. For some odd reason they seem not to hold up for more than a year without having a major component failing

Looks like those bikes the NY riders had. Hard to get that negative impression to go away. No thanks.

Just curious, but would the fact that H e l l's Angels and other such scum ride Harleys keep you from buying one? Food for thought.....

As for the other comments, I have never owned a KTM so I can't comment. I was fortunate enough to spend a couple weeks astride a first year RC8 (from which the engine in the 1290 was developed) and quite enjoyed it. Time will tell how reliable it is, but I certainly wouldn't want any bike that spent more time in the shop than on the road, no matter how impressive it runs (when it's running). That aside, a big torquey and responsive twin should be a blast to ride, especially with those (hp and torque) numbers.....

Originally Posted By: Mik
Just curious, but would the fact that H e l l's Angels and other such scum ride Harleys keep you from buying one? Food for thought.....

As for the other comments, I have never owned a KTM so I can't comment. I was fortunate enough to spend a couple weeks astride a first year RC8 (from which the engine in the 1290 was developed) and quite enjoyed it. Time will tell how reliable it is, but I certainly wouldn't want any bike that spent more time in the shop than on the road, no matter how impressive it runs (when it's running). That aside, a big torquey and responsive twin should be a blast to ride, especially with those (hp and torque) numbers.....

Scum?
Aren't you brave behind a keyboard. I'd love to see you say that to even one of them face to face.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Mik

Scum?
Aren't you brave behind a keyboard. I'd love to see you say that to even one of them face to face.

You could have issued a rebuttal, but instead you sort of confirmed it.... lol.

Standing up for the model citizens are you? Take a poll and see what most people think of them..... I'd wager you'll be pretty much alone in your admiration....

Tell you what, here is your chance to tell the world that we are all mistaken, that they are not organized crime figures but actually, good, honest, hard-working types.....

The stage is yours...... enlighten us.... I am always open to changing my opinion when provided with factual information to the contrary so have at 'er......

P.S. Look up the Charbonneau Commission, however,......

Who cares about which [censored] rides what? Plenty of D bags ride metrics and rockets as well as Harleys.

I ride what I ride, because I LIKE IT, not because some other person who is a [censored] likes it.

Right you are, and I could have swore this thread was about a new KTM....... (and so it was before the trolling started).....

All I want is a high strung 400cc V twin KTM with full fairings, orange steel trellis, with all the trick bits (radial brakes upside down forks etc) is that top much to ask? Maybe a triple would be cool too

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
I want one! A poor man's Diavel I hope.

Get it on a crooked road and it'll embarrass a Diavel.

The saddle bags kinda look odd on there,but the rest of the bike looks pretty cool. So long as we are still talking about the KTM,right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back