Suncor to acquire Petro-Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090322.wsuncor0322/BNStory/Business/home

I don't know if this is good news or not. Yes, creates a domestic giant that can compete with the best.

But, I liked PC and the products they made. I know they were privatized years ago, but I still liked the 'image' of Canada's gas station. And, as we know here, they produce some kick-but oils.

I'm really curious where this will go - Suncor is the 'owner' of the Sunoco trademark in Canada, so I'm wondering if eventually all PC gas stations will become 'Sunoco' stations.

I'm also curious is because of both comapanies focus on development of 'unconventional' resources, if they will get out of the commerical oil/gas market, and just concentrate on development of fields.

Will be interesting to watch!

Got part of the answer on the PC website about the merge:

"Suncor Energy Inc. ("Suncor") (TSX:SU) (NYSE:SU) and Petro-Canada ("Petro-Canada") (TSX:pCA) (NYSE:pCZ) today announced that they have agreed to merge the two companies. Upon completion of the transaction, the parties have agreed the combined entity will operate corporately and trade under the Suncor name, while maintaining the strong brand presence and customer loyalty of Petro-Canada in refined products."

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Soo. Suncor name and PC products? That out to work for the PC loyalist I would think.

Yeah, so far that 'looks' like what will happen.

PC has spent a LOT of $$$ in the last few years upgrading their retail gas stations to very sleek, modern format (seen in news story), so it wouldn't make sense for Suncor to scap all those station and re-build them as Sunoco/Suncor stations. There is a LOT of brand-recognition with the Petro-Canada name in Canada.

I hope this works out too.

I was North of the border several times this past Summer and Petro-Canada sure seemed to stand out to me. Albeit my perspective is bit skewed.

CNBC had a short discussion of the buyout.
The gist being that it is rare for the stock prices of both the acquirer (Suncor) and the acquiree (PC) to both go up in market price. They see good synergy.

Suncor owns the brand-rights to Sunoco in Canada.

Sunoco in the U.S. is a TOTALLY different company.

Quote from above link

The merger will create a company with 100 years worth of reserves, the largest oilsands operations, four refineries in Canada and the United States, a chain of retail gas stations and more than 680,000 barrels a day of oil and gas production.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said on Tuesday that the deal was a "good thing" that was important for Canada.

Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff said he supports the deal as long as the new entity is controlled in Canada.

The last line once again makes me wonder if it's really a US
company buying Petro Canada through a subsidiary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back