Suncor selling its PetroCanada lubricants division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron lowered the saps on Delo 400 10W, 20 & 50 to;
P .069
Z .076
SA .95
TBN 6.3
Recommended for mixed fleet gasoline & Diesel, but no API certifications.
But, it appears that those three grades will be compatible with gasoline emission equipment.

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/

In the Petro-Canada pds, UHP 5w30 Duron is approved CJ-4/SN and meets specification E6.
Duron UHP 10w40 is E6 approved, but only suitable for API CI-4+.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/default.aspx

Originally Posted By: Solarent
The main concern for the use of HDDEO in gasoline engines is the phosphorus levels and the impact it has on poisoning the Catalytic Converter. A typical 15W40 CJ-4 product has around 1100ppm phos vs 800ppm for a GF-5 product.

That is quite true, but when an oil company tells me I should be using their A3/B4 lubricant instead of an E7, E9 lubricant, the phosphorus concern does ring a little hollow.

Most consumers wouldn't use a 15W40 in a gasoline engine, so the API was ok with granting a waiver. However now with 5W30, 5W40 and 10W30 HDDEO becoming the standard there is more likely a chance of misapplication (or deliberate application in the case of some BITOGer's)....

Why are you looking at me like that?
wink.gif

This is why the waiver is going away and you will need E6 level phos (max 800ppm) if you want to claim SN or SM on the fluid.

Well, that's good to know. As I've mentioned elsewhere, technically a 5w-30 that meets CJ-4/SN is acceptable in my G37 and Castrol would agree. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 would be fine. Castrol recommends their dexos2 5w-30 as an option for me with their lube selector, because Nissan/Infiniti technically doesn't call for an ILSAC lube; it can be SM or SM/GF-4, not necessarily both. Ironically, Castrol's E6 lube isn't gasoline rated. Hmmmm, would a formulator be able to grab an older API spec for the gasoline side if it wasn't E6, perhaps, like A3/B4 30 grades do? Admittedly, that would only be a stopgap as API specifications become obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back