Subaru Forester 17,185mi oci, HPL 0w30

The tbn is good given that the viscosity isn't showing signs of notable oxidative thickening though i don't know what the virgin viscosity is it is at the ceiling of a 30 grade. but it could be if blackstone under reported the viscosity I doubt the virgin viscosity is below 11. It would be nice if blackstone showed the acidity.

So what do you use in the transmission and diff.
Recently switched over to HPL differential life 75w90. Previously used Mobil or valvoline synthetic 75w90 and Liqui Moly Mos2 for gears LM2019 additive. So far enjoying the shift feel with HPL.

Wow - what kind of driving do you do .
city / highway ratio?
Im so curious.
Thanks for sharing
mostly rural backroads and highway. Sometimes short trips but not usually. I'd say 10 percent city 90 percent open road of varying speed.

Sadly I'm the opposite.
My commute is a 2-4 min drive to work.
My work commute is 3 miles / 6 minutes. But I'm fortunate that there is an alternate route that is 5 miles / 8 minutes that involves mostly highway, so I choose to take that path to and from work because it's better for my car.

Unfortunate that we couldn't get a cut-open filter pic after so many miles with HPL.

A few things that caught my eye most with the UOA are....
Magnesium at almost 2K
12+@100 after 17k (about the same as Virgin)
SUS 68+@210

The higher viscosity 0w30 Euro is what I bought from Amsoil. This 0w30 may be what I buy from HPL next.
Only difference?.... I change this oil after 5k. My normal OCIs are 3-3.5k.
Wasting good oil prematurely is only in the eyes of the purchaser. But not this purchaser. I can easily afford HPL for 5k OCIs.

Last edited:
Unfortunate that we couldn't get a cut-open filter pic after so many miles with HPL.

A few things that caught my eye most with the UOA are....
Magnesium at almost 2K
12+@100 after 17k (about the same as Virgin)
SUS 68+@210

The higher viscosity 0w30 Euro is what I bought from Amsoil. This 0w30 may be what I buy from HPL next.
Only difference?.... I change this oil after 5k. My normal OCIs are 3-3.5k.
Wasting good oil prematurely is only in the eyes of the purchaser. But not this purchaser. I can easily afford HPL for 5k OCIs.
You can see the Fram Endurance filter cut open in the filter thread!

Back