Subaru Extra MT Alternatives?

We use the same fluid for GL-4 and GL-5 applications. This oil is not a traditional Sulfur Phosphorus based gear oil. Even in its GL-5 form it does not attack yellow metals therefore safe to use in GL-4 applications as well. Our 75w90 would do well for you here. As soon as you open a bottle and smell it you will realize you have something different. Our 75w90 is doing an exceptional job in the Petty GMS 42 and 43 cars.
That is the oil I would recommend for you.

David

Just to shed some light on Subaru Extra MT 75W-80 oil that they factory fill on multiple manual transmission cars. Subaru only sells it in 5-Gallon pail under part number SOA748V0100 that is not viable for lot of DIYers to buy unless a group wants to split up 4 quarts each :)

I had done research sometime back and after calling various techs, I found out that Mitasu Japan makes that oil and it is called MJ-441. Below is the link and you will see it is good not only for Subaru SOA748V0100 but several other manufacturer standards.

You can't get it in USA so closest match is Motul Motylgear 75W80 if you compare MSDS from Motul and Mitasu MJ-441. Both MJ-441 and Motylgear are synthetic blends and GL-4/5 certified.

I have used in my two Subaru WRX (2015+) without an issue and for first ~200 miles with Motul I saw transmission was bit notchy but after that period shifting is just like stock fluid.

Just to shed some light on Subaru Extra MT 75W-80 oil that they factory fill on multiple manual transmission cars. Subaru only sells it in 5-Gallon pail under part number SOA748V0100 that is not viable for lot of DIYers to buy unless a group wants to split up 4 quarts each :)

I had done research sometime back and after calling various techs, I found out that Mitasu Japan makes that oil and it is called MJ-441. Below is the link and you will see it is good not only for Subaru SOA748V0100 but several other manufacturer standards.

You can't get it in USA so closest match is Motul Motylgear 75W80 if you compare MSDS from Motul and Mitasu MJ-441. Both MJ-441 and Motylgear are synthetic blends and GL-4/5 certified.

I have used in my two Subaru WRX (2015+) without an issue and for first ~200 miles with Motul I saw transmission was bit notchy but after that period shifting is just like stock fluid.

Just starting to research what to put into the manual transmission in my 2023 WRX.

Any thoughts or updates that anyone would care to share?

Just starting to research what to put into the manual transmission in my 2023 WRX.

Any thoughts or updates that anyone would care to share?
The only 75W-80 GL-5 gear oils on the market besides the Subaru Extra MT seem to be Motul Motylgear 75W-80 and Fuchs Sintofluid 75W-80. I plan to use the Fuchs, since it should be quite good in extreme cold. I haven't found any testimonials for this oil used in this transmission, but I'll provide an update once I try it this spring/summer.

A 75W-90 will be serviceable in your climate, but it'll impact shift quality when the transmission is cold, and will reduce fuel economy a bit as well.

The only 75W-80 GL-5 gear oils on the market besides the Subaru Extra MT seem to be Motul Motylgear 75W-80 and Fuchs Sintofluid 75W-80. I plan to use the Fuchs, since it should be quite good in extreme cold. I haven't found any testimonials for this oil used in this transmission, but I'll provide an update once I try it this spring/summer.

A 75W-90 will be serviceable in your climate, but it'll impact shift quality when the transmission is cold, and will reduce fuel economy a bit as well.

It would be great to hear what you think of it, once you have a few miles on it!

Redline claims that their MTL® 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil is good for Subaru manual transmissions. I have no experience with their products.

What do people here think of Miller, like this one?

TRX SYNTH 75W80 GL5​

https://performanceracingoils.com/millers-oils-trx-synth-75w80-gl5/

TRX_Synth_GL5_75w80_7765-1L_low_res__68688.1562225516.png

We use the same fluid for GL-4 and GL-5 applications. This oil is not a traditional Sulfur Phosphorus based gear oil. Even in its GL-5 form it does not attack yellow metals therefore safe to use in GL-4 applications as well. Our 75w90 would do well for you here. As soon as you open a bottle and smell it you will realize you have something different. Our 75w90 is doing an exceptional job in the Petty GMS 42 and 43 cars.
That is the oil I would recommend for you.

David
Would you recommend the same for a 2018 Legacy Sport and 2019 Impreza Sport front and rear diff? I just had the Legacy done but it would be usefull to know for future use.

Back