Subaru engine coolant leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has one a 2002 4 cyl I think and it weeps from the head gasket- dealer says the factory fix (per a service bulletin) is a bottle of coolant stop leak.

does it work?

Last edited:
I have heard Subaru does have some neat stuff for fixing these things. There was a post of this somewhere........

He probably has a bad HG. The Coolant Stop Leak is Clay like substance that band-aides the real issue(s).

Nevertheless, how many miles on the car? Subaru will reimburse some cost for the HG if it's under 100K & he has the maintenance records.

Good Luck,
~Button

If I understand the service bulletin correctly, the fix on your friend's car is NOT simply a bottle of conditioner - but a head gasket replacement. The "bottle fix" only applies if the gasket is not yet leaking. hopefully the car is under 8 years old and less than 100k miles. I did actually use stop leak on a cavalier and it stopped the head gasket leak for the next few years that I had it

The Subaru coolant conditioner is basically fibers and metal flakes suspended in liquid.

According to folks on subaruforester.org it works for some, but it doesn't work in most cases. It also shortens the life of the water pump.

The solution is really new head gaskets. Under the warranty campaign they will replace only the side that leaks NOW.

Folks who took their Subarus to the dealer for their 30K mile services have had no problems getting the leaky HG fixed at no cost to the owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back