Subaru Develops News 2.4l DIT Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Car and Driver, Subaru is developing a larger DIT for its new 3 row Ascent SUV.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/subaru-ascent-concept-previews-production-three-row-suv-news

I would guess that some version of this engine will end up in the WRX STI in the future.
Funny to me that C&D talks about expecting it to at least match the CX-9's 250HP, as the 2.0l DIT in the current Forester XT and WRX is already a 250HP unit. I would hope that a 2.4l DIT would be pushing 300HP...

its 20% more displacement.. Probably will be detuned slightly for more Torque.

so 270-300hp is realistic.. with a possible lower peak hp number but more usable torque would be my guess.

Good point, probably will have very different tunes for a three row SUV vs. a WRX STI.

I am curious to see if they use the combined port/direction injection scheme to help avoid intake valve deposits.

Last edited:
I actually dont mind subaru's CVT..

and the FA20DIT has been DI Turbocharged since 2014 model no real carbon issues popping up yet.. unlike the massive first gen audi issues etc.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I actually dont mind subaru's CVT..

I'm a fan as well. I was just bracing for the mob..

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Good point, probably will have very different tunes for a three row SUV vs. a WRX STI.

I am curious to see if they use the combined port/direction injection scheme to help avoid intake valve deposits.

Direction injection?
Maybe I should give myself a BITOG timeout as punishment...

They do have access to Toyota's D4-S. I think Subaru will stick to their Hitachi-sourced system.

I think Ford licensed out D4-S for use on the Raptor's 3.5L HO EcoBoost, they did do a patent licensing deal a few years ago.

I intensely dislike the sound of flat-4's. Curse the current trend of engine downsizing that makes Subaru develop another flat 4 instead of a flat 6 for their SUV.

Since at least 2 or 3 automakers have specifically pointed to part throttle cylinder filling issues as the reason for needing a dash of port injection on a DI engine, we can probably assume that deposits weren't really a reason for the setup.

Besides, most mfgrs seem to have figured it out now anyway...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I intensely dislike the sound of flat-4's. Curse the current trend of engine downsizing that makes Subaru develop another flat 4 instead of a flat 6 for their SUV.

I also think they sound like a Briggs & Stratton. Terrible exhaust note...

Does your dislike include the Porsche motors?

I'm starting to lessen my dislike for cvt transmissions after driving multi-speed automatics that continually shift especially on hills.

Subaru has had good results from their cvt. The new Jatco CVTs are better than the early ones by far.

I am surprised Subaru didn't place their 6 cylinder in this new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

I can't say I've actually heard Porsche's new turbo flat 4's.
But I've always liked the sound of Porsche's flat 6's.

Frankly the worst thing I could find on my bud's new Porsche flat four was the exhaust note!

They have doing particular tunes for years. The 2.5 turbo has been made to have 212HP(forester), 250HP(Legacy Outback), 224-286(WRX) and finally 300-305HP (sti).

I am guessing this will continue....

I can't say I've actually heard Porsche's new turbo flat 4's.

I find it funny, the guys I used to know who hillclimbed beetles always tried to get their engines to sound like a normal 4, as they knew that when it was four equally functioning cylinders with proper exhaust length, they were making best power.

Everyone who hots up a Subaru ends up with beetle sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back