Studdless Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 good or bad...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one is able to buy these tires used - just one season for $100 for all 4 not on rims do you think this is worth it.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/GlamourIndex_BS_EN.aspx?productID=2007

Considerations: Mounting cost, no warranty, rebalance charges. Might be trying to unload bad tires on me.
dunno.gif

coffee.gif

Sounds like a great bargain. The risk pretty low considering the very low price. Have them mounted at Walmart or other low cost installer.

My only question would be "how many miles in one season?".

Quote:

If one is able to buy these tires used - just one season for $100 for all 4 not on rims do you think this is worth it.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/GlamourIndex_BS_EN.aspx?productID=2007

Considerations: Mounting cost, no warranty, rebalance charges. Might be trying to unload bad tires on me.
dunno.gif

coffee.gif

$100 for four tires is a bargain no matter how you cut it.

However: Blizzaks are a special case. When new, a Blizzak has a soft, cellular outer tread compound that makes it an outstanding tire for snow and ice. However, just because it is soft, the outer skin wears off pretty quickly. Underneath the outer layer is a rather ordinary tire. The tires you are buying probably will not have any of the outer layer left, and therefore will lack the qualities that make Blizzaks special.

But $100 for four tires is a bargain no matter how you cut it.

The WS50 was an excellent, albeit fast wearing tire. Very good in heavy snow for sure, and probably the best ice tire next to the REVO. Bridgestone knows snow.

I was wondering if these where the tires I've heard about that have excellent 1st season traction. Anyhow turns out they sold already. Also they were on daughters Acura and he had no clue how many miles and they were run 1st season - never rotated. He said could of been 10,000 miles on them no longer had the car. Said the back looked new - front slightly rounded. I wasn't as excited about them when I heard that today.

I have new last season Michelin X-Ice on Civic #1 and last month I picked up some used Hancook studded tires with some very decent life left in them with Honda Factory rims for $75 that was a score especially with the rims. Not bad for Civic #2.

Studless winter tirs can be pretty good, but studded tires are still best in ice. Most tests seem to be done on 'hard ice', but the real test is close to freezing. Look at ice racing rules, where for studless tires you just need a helmet and whatever you drive, but even for production studded tires you seem to need a roll cage, a harness, etc.

Then again studded tires absolutely awful on the majority of winter conditions like dry and wet roads. Studless tires are significantly better in dry and wet conditions.

To the OP, my Blizzack's(WS-50) had the special winter tread(spongy stuff) last about 20k miles and then turned to a all-season tire.

"Then again studded tires absolutely awful on the majority of winter conditions like dry and wet roads."

I guess it depends upon on how you drive. I don't notice any difference between studded and non studded tires on dry or wet roads, other than noise, but have noticed large differences on ice. Mother Nature doesn't give extra credit for having adequate tires most of the time.

I've had several Blizzaks over the years. Now I have the WS-50 I think. Terrible tire. Hate it. Sidewall like a piece of wet napkin. I can *feel* the entire tire fold over on itself on side-to-side transitions (like, "Oh crud don't hit that!"). Braking "performance" is terrible. Dry performance is marginal.

Upshot - they will just about allow you to climb trees. Outstanding deep snow and ice tire.

Recommendation: fine if you go slow (all the time), don't mind squishy tires, and they WILL wear very quickly into a so-so tire. I've switched to Nokians on the other vehicle (a rather heavier vehicle) and I'm really impressed - wear well, it's GOT a REAL sidewall, and they seem just as good in the deep snow and ice.

My 2 American Pesos.

Quote:

Then again studded tires absolutely awful on the majority of winter conditions like dry and wet roads. Studless tires are significantly better in dry and wet conditions.

Which brand of studded tires did you have dry/wet traction problems with, or did you read about a performance test? As I just mentioned in another thread, the only difference I notice when launching my car with my summer tires vs. my winter tires is the concrete dust stuck to my studs afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back