Strange voltage fluctuations

I have never paid too much attention to the voltage my alternator provides. I checked the voltage on the battery from time to time when the car was parked. It has always been kind of low. I suspected that my battery didn't get enough charge. I blamed the battery quality, cold winters, etc. Today I assembled this test setup. I am not sure if I can upload the picture properly. In short, I measured the voltage from the lighter with a multimeter when driving. And found something unexpected. When the car idles the voltage is 14.2 V. But when I start to move, as soon as I press the gas pedal a little the voltage quickly drops to 12.5 V. It takes about 5-7 seconds to reach this level. It looks like the power is coming from the battery during the acceleration. If the speed is constant the voltage is 13.8 V. Do you think it is normal? I wonder if other Subaru cars have the same "feature"?

CIMG0357.JPG

This is a normal thing now. I bet if you turn your headlights on it'll stay steady in the higher voltage levels.

They do this to save gas.

what year subaru? if its newer probably part of the strategy to eek out a tiny bit more MPG when there are low alternator loads.

Back