Storage Tips, Vacuum packing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently was given a FoodSaver vacuum packer for free because it was not working. Well, it is working now after some Armor All spray and a day to let is soak up good on the gaskets.

I found this thread via the search function to see if there was any data on the safety vacuum packing oil filters to combat the humidity here in the South.

Shelf life of oil filters....?

Here is another thread where some did vaccum pack their filters.

do oil (or air) filters go bad??

Vacuum packing will get rid of the moisture problem. My question is will it collapse the media? Or will the bypass actually kick in to protect the media? Is vacuum packing an oil filter a good idea?

I've done three oil filters so far, but don't want to do the rest of the BOGO stash without further comments. Bonus is that you can use the bag again for something else...like matches, cloths, TP, etc. to keep 'em dry for backpacking, etc. Oh, yeah, it works great on food as well, but not as cool as compacting a TP roll.
cool.gif

I wouldnt pack them as such... the shelf life is fine on a filter as it is and the only thing worth doing might be a dust seal like what comes on japanese filters.

The vacuum doesn't affect the media.
A cartridge element might be crushed like a soda
can in the commercials, but the normal metal spin-on
will work fine.
Not sure a vacuum will remove ALL moisture, the
vacuum isn't that deep.

I wouldn't worry about vacuum sealing your filters. Most oil filters (at least ones built by Champion Labs) have a shell life of about 7 years so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yes I would not mind seeing filters like Mobil 1, Amsoil EAO etc being sealed up. With the price we pay it makes sense for a number of reasons. Some of these filters are over $15.

Rust, dirt etc.

And in 50 years ..there may be a market for some antique cars that may still be in existence.

Think of the future demand for such things.

OK, so I guess the consensus is that it may be a waste, but it won't hurt anything. That was my main concern (as the bags can be used over again) was causing damage to the filter media.

I see no down side to keeping the air and dirt out. Now I can get them out of the house and store them in the garage as the humidity will be a non-factor.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back