Stihl 2-stroke mini-tillers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good, other brands better? Was checking them out at the dealers yesterday. I'm definitely going to buy a mini tiller of some type this yr to maintain garden rows (weeds). Won't be used for large tilling just maintenance to keep weeds down. Thanks

Anything Still should be good quality.

My dad has a Honda FG100 with a little 4-stroke and that thing is really nice how easy starting and quiet it is when I've borrowed it.

http://amzn.com/B004H4X6Z6

Certainly has limitations, but for weed duty, it's good:

From the page:

"In a word, this thing is FANTASTIC! First of all, I was amazed at the power it has. It effortlessly churned out rocks bigger than my fist. Needless to say, it chewed through the grass clumps and roots with ease. I did stop a few times to untangle debris from the tines, but it was easy to remove and in just a few minutes I'd be up and running again. The power is more than adequate. It digs through the soil, even Michigan clay, without bogging down, leaving a loose, mealy planting bed in its wake. I tilled the entire garden twice--first north and south; then east and west. The whole job took about 3 hours. I've since used the tiller in other areas of my yard like flower beds and areas of the lawn that needed leveling. I am truly impressed with the results.

The main drawback that I see is the machine's light weight. When it hits something solid in the ground, like a root or large rock, it wants to jump and buck like a rodeo bull. You just need to be ready for it when it happens. Overall, though, it is very easy to control.

For just about 50% more than the cost of renting one of those gas monsters at our local rental center for a half-day, I was able to purchase this tiller that I will be able to use for many years to come; not only in my vegetable garden, but my flower beds as well. Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever been more satisfied with a purchase. I wish I could give this thing more than 5 stars! (Of course, the service I got from Amazon.com (including the free shipping) was impeccable as always.)

PROs:
1. High amperage - this translates to High Power. More than enough power for a small tiller.
2. Low cost - makes this tiller a tremendous value.
3. Well made.
4. Simple to use.

CONs:
1. Light weight - so if you hit something solid in the ground, like a large root or rock, the machine tends to jump violently. Not a huge disadvantage, however, as long as you are aware of this tendency and pay attention.
2. Narrow width - limits the effective usage of this tiller to smaller gardens. But this can also be an advantage--you can easily use this machine to till between rows in your garden and other narrow areas where a larger tiller won't fit."

I have a stihl edger that is great. It's more or less the same thing I'd guess.

We have a Honda tiller, 4 stroke that works great. In fact I'll be tilling out our garden today.

I've been pleased with stihl stuff, so if they're blowing them out and another (good) brand can't be had cheaper, to me it's a no brainer.

But I'd try to hold/push/move it even if not actually working it, to see if the ergonomics are ok. Then get some heavy gloves to offset vibration.

I was also looking at the Mantis with the commercial grade Honda engine. On one garden site they said Mantis had the best gearbox...decisions decisions

I would say that Stihl, Mantis and Echo are the three best quality pieces.
I would probably let dealer support be the determiner.
Since I have an excellent Echo dealer available locally, I would probably go Echo.

I rented the Stihl mini tiller a few weeks ago. Worked great on out little 4x8 garden.
It does have vibration as you use it.

I have the stihl. It is a good machine. I use mine more for leveling ground and scratching up dirt to plant grass.

I don't know if the mantis style would be better or not.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I would say that Stihl, Mantis and Echo are the three best quality pieces.
I would probably let dealer support be the determiner.
Since I have an excellent Echo dealer available locally, I would probably go Echo.

Yep we have a Stihl dealer very close and have taken my chainsaw and weedwacker is for service...very quick turn around.

Are you specifically looking at the MM-55 Yardboss?

I have one and like its versatility. Cleaned out the dirty grease from the gearbox today on mine and am trying to figure out what grease to put into it.

The problem with the little two stroke or four stroke "cultivators" is that people go out to the unbroken ground in their back yard and try to use them like a tiller. They work them to death trying to till ground that's never been worked. I have a two year old Honda out in the garage now that was worked by one of my customers until it died for good. The good news was that it only cost him $300 plus dollars to till two new small gardens. Buy a cultivator to maintain, weed, and mix fertizler, peat, or manure into your garden. Rent a real tiller to initially break ground. Grump and Growl.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kb9skw

I have one and like its versatility. Cleaned out the dirty grease from the gearbox today on mine and am trying to figure out what grease to put into it.

Yes I think that's it...it had wheels. Its only going to be used to weed between rows. I have a 5 ft John Deere tractor mounted tiller I use in spring for initial breakup.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: kb9skw

Yes I think that's it...it had wheels. Its only going to be used to weed between rows. I have a 5 ft John Deere tractor mounted tiller I use in spring for initial breakup.

It would be great for that. Make sure to get the weight kit also. You can also get bolo tines that would work good for getting rid of weeds.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
The problem with the little two stroke or four stroke "cultivators" is that people go out to the unbroken ground in their back yard and try to use them like a tiller. They work them to death trying to till ground that's never been worked. I have a two year old Honda out in the garage now that was worked by one of my customers until it died for good. The good news was that it only cost him $300 plus dollars to till two new small gardens. Buy a cultivator to maintain, weed, and mix fertizler, peat, or manure into your garden. Rent a real tiller to initially break ground. Grump and Growl.

Agreed. I am using a 14" drain spade to turn the soil first. We bought the house last November I am pretty sure the earth has never been worked since the house was built in 1985. But once you turn it over the MM-55 is more than capable of giving you very nice soil.

It works very well as a dethatcher with the optional kit. The issue I had with the Mantis trying to dethatch was being rear drive it planted it's self down into the ground too much and was a pain to drag across the sod. With the MM-55 being front drive and the weight down on the wheels you just rev up the engine and slowly pull it back across the sod.

Don't waste your time trying to use it as a string trimmer, otherwise it is a great machine.

Also regarding the gearbox. It has no place to fill with fresh grease. It comes apart with six or so screws though and I just cleaned out all the old grease with paper towels and spooned in gobs of Shell Gadus red lithium grease. As long as a bit comes out all around the gearbox when you put it together it should be okay.

Obligatory picture of my machine as I use it today.
smile.gif

14wacz.jpg

Since I posted, a guy dropped a 4 stroke Honda "mini" tiller off and told my wife (I was gone) I might be able to use it for parts. A metering diaphragm and a good cleaning later and now I have a freaking Honda mini tiller. My Sears tiller with the Toro Snowhound 3 HP Tecumseh replacement engine might get jealous.

Stihl professional products are very well made. World class best stuff.

However, Stihl "homeowner" grade products have plastic crankcases. Take a good look at the engine, because I'm not sure what design this one uses.

I'd purchase a Sthil tiller "IF" it has a metal crankcase. Otherwise I'd go with a Honda powered one.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

However, Stihl "homeowner" grade products have plastic crankcases. Take a good look at the engine, because I'm not sure what design this one uses.

I'd purchase a Sthil tiller "IF" it has a metal crankcase. Otherwise I'd go with a Honda powered one.

Yes and no on the homeowner stuff having a plastic crank case. The actual crank case is mag or aluminum with half of it being intergal with jug. On saws it is referee to as a clam shell saw. What would be the mag crankcase is plastic but the actual crank case is metal.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Yes and no on the homeowner stuff having a plastic crank case. The actual crank case is mag or aluminum with half of it being intergal with jug. On saws it is referee to as a clam shell saw. What would be the mag crankcase is plastic but the actual crank case is metal.

So, the lesser engines have a partly plastic crankcase. I stand corrected. Still, plastic engines are not for me.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

So, the lesser engines have a partly plastic crankcase. I stand corrected. Still, plastic engines are not for me.

No the crank case is all metal. Everything else is plastic though. I don't think you will find any trimmer made today that isn't like this. Same for these mini cultivators. The are just a trimmer engine on them.

Actually all the older saws like homelite, McCullough and poulon are the same clamshell design only the had aluminum or mag in place of the plastic.

Last edited:
Those mini tillers work well for small areas or sandy soils. They don't work well in clay soils, even if the soil has been previously worked. I borrowed my neighbor's little Troy-Bilt mini-tiller last spring to till up a 20' by 25' plot in clay soil. It did the job with many passes and some initial breaking up the soil by hand. Talk about exercise. That was enough to convince us to spring for a used full-size tiller. Our Honda mid-tine tiller made short work of turning under the plot this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back