Sticky Speedometer Needle LS400

I have only found 2 places that repair the "sticky" Speedometer needle in '98 Lexus LS400. I have to smack the dash
to make the needle work but only in hotter weather. Works fine in fall, winter and spring. I have only found 2 repair shops.

Tanin Auto Electronix in Racine, WI and DNA Speedometer in Tampa, FL.

Do you know of someplace nearer VA or of a better repair shop for this issue?

It was a bear but I got the cluster out and have it wrapped in bubble wrap waiting to hear from you.

Nichols speedometer and instruments in Greensboro, N.C. 336-273-2881. Family owned and they do excellent work at a fair price. They rebuilt the instrument cluster in my Chevy truck with all new stepper motors 5 years ago and it all still works as new with factory correct lighting etc. $200 with a 12 month warranty. Dropped my cluster off at 9:00 am and they called me by early afternoon saying it was ready. (y)

Nichols speedometer and instruments in Greensboro, N.C. 336-273-2881. Family owned and they do excellent work at a fair price. They rebuilt the instrument cluster in my Chevy truck with all new stepper motors 5 years ago and it all still works as new with factory correct lighting etc. $200 with a 12 month warranty. Dropped my cluster off at 9:00 am and they called me by early afternoon saying it was ready. (y)
AWESOME! I'll give them a call Tuesday. THANKS!

What's the cause of a sticky needle? Is it an electrical or a mechanical issue?

G… did you get your speedometer fixed?
I called Nichols in Greensboro per your suggestion. I was hoping they could do it. The man I talked to at NIchols said he had done 100's
over the years but where he got his parts from would no longer sell him the parts. He said they (Mikado Electronics, California) were the only ones he was aware of that could get the OEM parts. I asked him about the company I had already made a label for (Tanin) and he said if it were
his cluster that needed repair, he would send it to Mikado. Note, he said nothing bad about Tanin.

I spoke with Sammy at Mikado. No haggling. We did everything via text. Flat fee $245 plus shipping.

Based on UPS tracking, Mikado should have it today. UPS was $105 shipping from VA to CA. Even though the package only weighed
10.5 lbs it "dImmed" out at 40 lbs. YIKES!!!! I really used the bubble wrap and cardboard and peanuts...

gman2304, I don't have it back but thanks to you I believe I have made the right decision.

The guy at Nichols was so kind. He explained everything. Told me if I keep smacking the dash
to make it work I was gonna be in for some super expensive repairs. I was thinking, $400 + was
super expensive to me. LOL

Thanks!

UPS was $105 shipping from VA to CA
Ouch! I would be confident in the Nichols recommendation. I see you’re a Lexus guy. My wife’s 2013 ES350 has never had a bolt turned on it except for normal services and tires. (y) I asked her last week if she was about ready for a new car and she said NO…I love my Lexus!:love:

After 24 years and 328k miles, things can get weak. Even Lexus.

This 1998 LS400 is the absolute best car I have ever owned. Bar none! I’m hoping I’ll get another 20 years out of it. Or til I die, whichever come first.

Back