Sticker shock at the grocery store

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCormick coarse ground black pepper 3.12 ounces:
Winco - $4.78
Save Mart - $5.29
Vons - $5.79

It's just a little shaker bottle. And then there's hamburger ... $6.99 a pound at Vons.
I remember when I was a little kid during the 70s you were really roughing it if you had to have hamburger instead of a steak; but these days, you're doing pretty good if you can feast on hamburger.

You guys ever get sticker shock at the grocery store ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Nope. Food and other everyday items are expensive, but you've gotta have 'em. Then again, coarse ground pepper may not be considered an essential item...

This topic was mentioned in the deteriorating quality thread.

Buy food when it's on sale and if you can, stock up.

I get the impression that this is a topic people don't want to talk about.
confused2.gif

I know your point was more general, but I find the small bottles of McCormick or similar spices are way overpriced. If you can find the same spices in bags, you'll pay far less by volume. Another good source for inexpensive spices is Indian markets.

Winco - $4.78
Save Mart - $5.29
Vons - $5.79

It's just a little shaker bottle. And then there's hamburger ... $6.99 a pound at Vons.
I remember when I was a little kid during the 70s you were really roughing it if you had to have hamburger instead of a steak; but these days, you're doing pretty good if you can feast on hamburger.

Diesel fuel is a component of all food prices as transportation is done via commercial trucks.

Fuel was 20 year high twould years back, it rolled into all food, permanently. Despite a 50% decrease in fuel last 12 months!!!!

Beef herd reduction drove prices up to 20 year highs also. It is correcting this year, thank goodness.

Try buying in bulk, your pepper will still be expensive but less per ounce than consumer packaging.

Find local food sources if possible, better quality ( you are what you eat).

Winco - $4.78
Save Mart - $5.29
Vons - $5.79

You're in California-everything is more expensive. I can still get ground beef at our local locker for around $2.50/pound, although I much prefer to grind my own mix. Things like pork are significantly less expensive here too-I can get some really nice pork steaks for $1.21/pound and Iowa chops for around $2/pound.

Your pepper example is probably the worst way to purchase pepper. If you want pepper, simply purchase a pound of peppercorns for around $12, and grind it as you need it. Better yet grow your own for about $2/pound-with your climate in California it should be easy to grown your own.

As far as your comparison to the 1970s-the median household income in 1975 was $10,579. The median household income in 2014 was $53,657 (the most current data available). When you adjust the 1975 median household income for inflation, it's $47,227. So the median household income is significantly higher in 2014 than it was in 1975 when adjusted for inflation.

Sticker shock at the grocery store? No. I know that prices sometimes go up, and when I meal plan I know how to take advantage of the lower prices that are available for locally sourced food. Of course, if prices are that much of an issue for you, there's always the option of trading the time you spend on discussion forums for earning income-surely there are part time jobs available in California that can help boost your bottom line.

Winco - $4.78
Save Mart - $5.29
Vons - $5.79

Shop somewhere else. Like a local meat or produce market. And buy a pepper mill and some peppercorns and up your flavor.

You can also thank the Ethanol Lobby for increased food prices. Diversion from the food chain (either people or livestock feed) to fuel has driven up the price of corn. The U.N. love 'em or hate 'em, has even asked that corn not be diverted into fuel additive sector because it is needed for world hunger.

confused2.gif

Let your wife do all the grocery shopping and coupon cutting...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
confused2.gif

That's what I do, it works well for me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
confused2.gif

That's what I do, it works well for me.
wink.gif

I keep my wife out of the grocery store unless supervised. She could spend $300 and somehow have nothing to eat.

I find that i need to do more shopping around for items than i used to. I got my last black pepper at dollar tree. 5th season brand. 1.5oz for $1

Hopefully you are aware you can substitute red (cayenne) pepper with black on a 1/8 to one ratio in recipes to get the same desired Scoville heat effect of black pepper.

Winco - $4.78
Save Mart - $5.29
Vons - $5.79

stop buying it and then the price craters. good luck with econ 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back