Stick Edgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was walking at HD last night and saw they sell a weedwhacker variant that is sold as a stick edger.

My grandfather has an old Craftsman that I borrow from time to time, but it doesnt start well and it is bulky. This is a nice size.

Do they work well at all? Any brand to go after?

My grandfather's is belt-drive, these have the shaft inside the tube. Do those shafts tend to break?

Thanks!

you can find 2 versions of decent stick edgers, one will be a true straight shaft with a steele drive shaft running to a gear box (best), and secondly youll find a straight shaft model with a kink in the shaft nearing the blade this has a flex cable driving the blade and no gear box (cheaper design). pick your brand, but shindaiwa, kawasaki, or red max are my prefferd brands. echo makes a good edger as well, but honestly, this is something youll seldomly use. I have one, and once i have the edge dug out i just use the string trimmer held on its side to keep the edge cleaned out. however you might use this as an exscuse to buy a split boom trimmer and add other attachments.

Im not looking for speed, Im looking for compactness and the ability to keep an edge (ours gets lost within a few months of cutting it) easily.

I already have a Husquvarna weedwhacker that runs great, but I cant keep a good straight line, and it really flings stuff. I think the purpose-made edger would do better on a blade, containment, etc. basis.

Plus id do it more like every 2 months, which is necessary in our yard along the sidewalks and driveway for a clean look. Im not keen on changing attachments all the time... so purpose made is OK by me, so long as it is compact, which is why I like the stick edger...

I'm not partial to any brand.

Are some (Stihl perhaps) 4-stroke?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm not partial to any brand.

Are some (Stihl perhaps) 4-stroke?

the stihl have their 4mix kind which is a four stroke but still gets lubed off of the 2 stroke type oil that you mix into the gas.

ppl want to group lawn equipment into brands, meaning for example i love my stihl chainsaw so stihl trimmers must be great. and nothing could be further from the truth, for example i like kawasaki trimmers but kawasaki doesnt offer a chain saw, i like certain dolmar chainsaws yet i hate their trimmers. so with that said, a stick edger is just a string trimmer engine mounted on a different attachment. and im not a stihl (of todays) fan by anymeans, so that eliminates them for me, the 4mix is a joke. I have reserched this in a bit detail, and based on features, i would choose the husqvarna or redmax edger, with echo probably being close due to dealer availabilty and features.

Im not tied to any brand, but that helps. I saw echo at HD, but have no HD echo experience - my echo stuff (blower and chainsaw) has been great.

I know there is a close local dealer that sells stihl and redmax. Not sure of a local husquvarna dealer, though im sure there is one. Echo is everywhere, but Im curious what features you think an echo stick edger has over husquvarna or redmax.

Not all Stihl small engines are 4 mix.

The FC56CE and FC70CE are stratified 2 strokes.

You could also expand your search to "Kombi Motors" and I believe the 55 is an old school 2 stroke.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Not all Stihl small engines are 4 mix.

The FC56CE and FC70CE are stratified 2 strokes.

You could also expand your search to "Kombi Motors" and I believe the 55 is an old school 2 stroke.

i wasnt implying that all stihl are 4 mix, just saying their saws are "decent" but their trimmer/edger line well not so much

The redmax units are nice but $$$. Curious what benefit, if any, the stick edger has over, say, a McLane made in USA 4.75hp edger. Size comes to mind, but otherwise???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back