Steering rack bushings. 1st gen Toyota Sequoia

Going to tackle the steering rack bushings on my 05 sequoia. Any tips? Feedback on these parts? Got the energy suspension poly bushings.

Attachments

• B77BA10A-C820-4778-A235-6E43A04B204C.jpeg
    B77BA10A-C820-4778-A235-6E43A04B204C.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 10
Got it done. Fought the old bushings out, they didn’t look too bad. I was discouraged thinking it might not help. Tough getting the vertical bolt lined up on the new bushings. I’ve only driven a couple miles but the steering feel is much different. No slip anymore. I’ll have to make a YouTube video and post a link to show the difference. Definitely needed a C clamp and decent hammer. Look forward to a freeway drive.

Had them installed on an 01 Tundra for over a decade now. Been loving the sharp steering response.
It also "cleans" up toe-in alignment specs since it prevents steering rack side-to-side movement.

Last edited:
Had them installed on an 01 Tundra for over a decade now. Been loving the sharp steering response.
It also "cleans" up toe-in alignment specs since it prevents steering rack side-to-side movement.
Seems my stability control has been kicking in too much since this, maybe a coincidence. Did you experience this at all? I tried a zero point calibration but no change.

I had it aligned probably a year ago. I’ll bring it back for a check. Started acting up after the rack bushing replacement but not sure why it would. Didn’t disconnect anything other than the hardwares holding rack to subframe.

The yaw sensors are a known to get wonky on these, and the modules themselves can get intermittent as well. The VSC and ABS on my Sequoia started going off at random times and got to the point I just disconnected the fluid sensor connection on the master cylinder to shut the system down so I could even drive it. I plan on digging into it once life settles down and I get a day or two to mess with it, but the whole VSC system on the 1st gen Sequoias and Tundras is a half-baked buggy mess of stupid even when its working correctly, and even worse once things go awry.

The yaw sensors are a known to get wonky on these, and the modules themselves can get intermittent as well. The VSC and ABS on my Sequoia started going off at random times and got to the point I just disconnected the fluid sensor connection on the master cylinder to shut the system down so I could even drive it. I plan on digging into it once life settles down and I get a day or two to mess with it, but the whole VSC system on the 1st gen Sequoias and Tundras is a half-baked buggy mess of stupid even when its working correctly, and even worse once things go awry.
You lose ABS function this way? Would be tough to do that here since it’s our family hauler and it rains a lot. I’m thinking of having the alignment checked for starters. Not sure that will help any though.

Its the one that plugs into the side of the master cylinder. Disconnecting it will illuminate the VSV and TRAC lights, but the ABS light will stay off.

Hello

I am having the same issue after installing poly rack bushings. It has got an alignment and zpc. Please help this has been going on for over 5 months!

Just an update… no progress. I’ve read wheel speed sensor data and everything and don’t see them dropping out or anything. Removed the sensors and cleaned to make sure nothing impeding the readings. Alignment was done. The stability control is still way overactive around dry corners. I can be going the posted suggested speed and it’s kicking in. Didn’t do it before the poly rack bushings. I was googling it again and my own post came up. Anyone have suggestions? Not sure it’s possible to go back to rubber bushings at this point. I see the Moog option but says it’s urethane. Probably same thing as the energy kit.

Thinking about this had me curious enough to get the Import Direct kit from oreilly and changed them out today. Same problem persists. I’m wondering if taking it to the dealer for alignment might help rather than the chain tire shop. Les Schwab is where I had it aligned. These bushing have a smoother steering wheel feel than poly it seems but not as soft as the stock rubber. These are thermoplastic according to the description

Back