Stanley B&D Sueing Sears

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://toolguyd.com/stanley-black-decker-sues-sears-craftsman-ultimate-collection-tools/
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1QO031

It seems (to me) that Stanley Black & Decker did not quite realize that if Sears did not go out of business relatively soon, Sears could create negative competition to SB&D's Craftsman plans.

" Basically, the acquisition agreement allows Sears to develop, market, and sell their own Craftsman tools under a licensing agreement." The lawsuit seems to regard the new Ultimate Collection Craftsman tools that Sears "developed,marketed, and sells" - produced by another manufacturer other than SBD, and Sears claims is much better than what SBD is selling at Lowes.

Interesting.

What a jerk move by Sears.They sell Craftsman due to poor management. Then they do something like this and advertise their terrible management and decision making. I would expect this in China but not America. I hope they lose. Craftsman is such poor quality now I didn't even bother.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
What a jerk move by Sears.They sell Craftsman due to poor management. Then they do something like this and advertise their terrible management and decision making. I would expect this in China but not America. I hope they lose. Craftsman is such poor quality now I didn't even bother.

Stanley agreed to to deal so its not like it was forced on them. They just thought sears would bankrupt and they would have 100% of the Craftsman name.
It was a risk and looks like they did not come out on top as they thought.

But IMO the Craftsman name has become to damaged now.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
But IMO the Craftsman name has become to damaged now.
I think most people would forgive them for offshoring if they started making tools in the USA again. A lot of people have fond memories of them.

Craftsman is like a top-10 player playing for the worst team in the league, Sears.

Jerk move by Sears, for sure, but brilliant.
Sorry, this is business, not friendship. You follow your agreements exactly as they are written; not how they 'should be interpreted'.
B&D gambled, and isn't getting the whole Craftsman market. So sad.

That all said, it doesn't really matter - I honestly don't think even the 'new' Sears will be around in 5 years.

""I honestly don't think even the 'new' Sears will be around in 5 years.""

That is the key. Eddie Lampert JR, the Wall Street mastermind behind the stealing of both Sears and Kmart, simply is keeping Sears alive to steal the rest of its real estate, and prevent him and his ESL hedge fund for being sued for the thievery they did against the common shareholders and secured and unsecured vendors of Sears prior to the bankruptcy filing.

Eddie "judge shopped" and found a judge in Long Island to process the bankruptcy. No normal BK judge would ever of awarded Eddie back Sears, nor would of agreed that Eddie and ESL can't be sued for prior stealing from shareholders. Eddie was so arrogant he did not even travel to the bankruptcy hearing that awarded him Sears, instead watched from a closed circuit tv from his compound on a private island in South Florida.

No question Sears will be gone in five years... and Eddie will be worth more in five years than he is today.

""I honestly don't think even the 'new' Sears will be around in 5 years.""
I give them less than Two Years ! K-Mart Stores will go First.IMO
Since they are Closing my only Sears ,I really don't care what happens to them. Eddie Ruined the Two Chains .

Its weird K-Mart has survived in the US - they were gone from Canada in the late 1990's!

Even the 2 stores that replaced them, Zellers first, then Target, are both gone from Canada as well!

It is so surreal to see K-Mart stores still running....they are like a nostalgia thing from the 1970's and 1980's up here!

Go into a Sears or Kmart and it still looks like the 80s. I agree they are artificially still in "business" the stores look half empty and there are very few customers. Their website is still garbage. Like they aren't even trying.

Go into a Sears or Kmart and it still looks like the 80s. I agree they are artificially still in "business" the stores look half empty and there are very few customers. Their website is still garbage. Like they aren't even trying.

Probably the upper management is doing well $$$

Originally Posted by addyguy
Jerk move by Sears, for sure, but brilliant.
Sorry, this is business, not friendship. You follow your agreements exactly as they are written; not how they 'should be interpreted'.
B&D gambled, and isn't getting the whole Craftsman market. So sad.

That all said, it doesn't really matter - I honestly don't think even the 'new' Sears will be around in 5 years.

I agree. Imagine if they actually did offer a better line of tools? I doubt it would help, it is going to take a lot more than a good tool to bail Sears out. My bet is they go belly up sooner rather than later, and in less than 5 years. Eddie Lampert killed the company, and there's no way he's bringing it back.

"they are closing in xx years!" Sears drama has became the new Guns n Roses album "Chinese Democracy" rumors!

How do you buy a brand but let someone else still use it. A bunch of people need to be fired at SBD.

Meh, Sears could just be getting the money out of the R&D their manufacturing partners poured into it, satisfying long existing contracts or something.

Doesn't really bother me much, buy a thing if it suits your needs and budget. These aren't priced like Snap-On or anything and even if the warranty went away, the decades worth of CMan tools I have break at such an infrequent rate that it would be no big deal to pay $5 a year or something to replace a piece at a time.

I'm surprised you still have Sears stores that are open. All of ours buttoned up some time back.

I've always been puzzled as to why Craftsman gets so much air time. After I got spoiled by Snap-on tools, I no longer have any interest in Craftsman. I used to like Craftsman nut drivers, but those are no longer made since Sears fired Western Forge.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I've always been puzzled as to why Craftsman gets so much air time. After I got spoiled by Snap-on tools, I no longer have any interest in Craftsman. I used to like Craftsman nut drivers, but those are no longer made since Sears fired Western Forge.

Why would it be puzzling? The world's largest retailer for decades carried an extensive line of pretty decent quality tools for a decent price. Generations drooled over the Craftsman catalog. Sears was like the old school version if Harbor Freight but with a lot less pot metal.

I still do business at a couple small town Sears stores (one here and one at the bay) … they are same as before … maybe 3 employees and only carry the things that sell … mostly hardware, lawn/garden, appliances … or pickup/delivery for other orders … Managers actually know the products … Some folks still value that …
Probably all they should do are these low overhead … easy to pop in and out of small stores …

Sears is screwed up because the guy calling the shots is a financier not a a retailer. He seemed to push Sears into a lot of things that made it go bankrupt so he could buy the company cheap himself.

Also like a lot of companies Sears is stuck with a huge retirement obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back