Spare in your trunk and a jack

I started checking the spare tire pressure at each oil change, a few years ago. I have always found the pressure low, so I'm glad that I've made a practice of this. For example, I just changed the oil on my wife's Outback yesterday, so the spare tire pressure got checked and adjusted. Found it at 45 psi, spec. is 60 psi.

Both cars have jacks and tire wrenches. But no portable compressor yet.

Today, wife and kid went on a 1000 mile road trip. Spare 60 pds pressure. I've used the jack a few times including tire rotations. I couldn't own a car without a spare, even my cheap 2024 trax came with a spare.

I have a posting about my spare stored under my 2008 Burb. I lowered it to service the rear diff. It’s the original spare and is 16 years old. I found the tire valve is leaking. I’m taking it in to the shop today. The rim’s pretty rusted, the tire is covered in road grime, but the tire thread is perfect. I’ll see if the shop says much when they replace the valve. I’m sure they’ll try sell me a new one. I’d rather get one from the wreckers but I need the tire ready for a 4 hour drive on Thursday. Funny how a person can worry about that when this vehicle had two flats in 16 years. “ with my luck ......” :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
I have a posting about my spare stored under my 2008 Burb. I lowered it to service the rear diff. It’s the original spare and is 16 years old. I found the tire valve is leaking. I’m taking it in to the shop today. The rim’s pretty rusted, the tire is covered in road grime, but the tire thread is perfect. I’ll see if the shop says much when they replace the valve. I’m sure they’ll try sell me a new one. I’d rather get one from the wreckers but I need the tire ready for a 4 hour drive on Thursday. Funny how a person can worry about that when this vehicle had two flats in 16 years. “ with my luck ......” :D
Our 2017 Tahoe had the biggest fake tire I ever saw … started playing with a tire calculator and only found a Cooper SRX to fit the 17” steeler @ same OD - so ran this with factory Michelin and Cooper Evolution …
Ironically I just put 4 Cooper SRX’s on the 18” wheels and little doubt I would run the spare a couple days …
Will lower it soon to check it out 😎

I started checking the spare tire pressure at each oil change, a few years ago. I have always found the pressure low, so I'm glad that I've made a practice of this. For example, I just changed the oil on my wife's Outback yesterday, so the spare tire pressure got checked and adjusted. Found it at 45 psi, spec. is 60 psi.

Both cars have jacks and tire wrenches. But no portable compressor yet.
Get one that fits your favorite cordless battery line up.You will wonder how you ever got along without it.You will now easily extend your tire life by keeping tires inflated to proper levels.Its safer as you don't have to limp looking for a station and causing damage to tire and rim.I instructed my wife how easy it is to use,she couldn't begin to change a tire.And for those that pull utility trailers,it gives flexability,empty-less air,less bounce,heavy load-adjust accordingly

Get one that fits your favorite cordless battery line up.You will wonder how you ever got along without it.You will now easily extend your tire life by keeping tires inflated to proper levels.Its safer as you don't have to limp looking for a station and causing damage to tire and rim.I instructed my wife how easy it is to use,she couldn't begin to change a tire.And for those that pull utility trailers,it gives flexability,empty-less air,less bounce,heavy load-adjust accordingly
Keeping with the same cordless battery is my cordless tool practice too.

I have no problem keeping the tires pumped up, as I have a compressor in my garage, and I check the tire pressure regularly.

it is the spare tires that get checked less frequently. And I would check them more often if it were not that both of them mount in the trunks with the valve stem down. At least the E350 spare, as it is fairly easy to get to. Just lift the carpet cover to expose the spare tire, unscrew the tire tool tray and lift out the spare. The Outback spare requires removal of carpet panels on each side of the main carpet panel, that lifts to get to the storage tray. Then remove the storage tray, next the tire tool tray. Then loosen the bolt that holds the tire in place, before the tire can be removed to check pressure.

Yes I've always maintained the spare tire and jack in all my vehicles, to a functional level but not pristine condition level. Generally I include full-size spares in normal tire rotations and slightly overinflate the spare so it will still have enough pressure sitting 8-10 months until the next rotation. One of my C4 Corvettes had a space saver spare that was super old and cracked, it was an odd size but replacements are available so I got one and had it mounted just to be sure the car is ready to deal with a flat. AAA is nice for real emergencies, but I don't like waiting hours for something I can handle myself.

I have a factory donut and jack in my first year Miata. Actually used it about 8 years ago when I hit a curb leaving an appt. Was glad I had it because it got us home. We do have AAA, but in that particular case it was just easier for me to do it. We've taken that car on many long trips and many long day trips and I wouldn't feel comfortable having no spare on those trips. My wife's modern little SUV OTOH we keep a tire goo kit with a small compressor in. Hoping not to ever need it though, haha.

Back