Source for a Metrinch 10mm socket in 1/4" drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a You tube vid that shows an old 48 pc. Metrinch set like the one Snoofer and I have. Ironically his is missing two sockets one 1/4" and one 3/8",, two extensions, and I don't think that is the original nut driver handle. Mine is amber in color. I showed this so you can see the insides of one of the sockets. It is difficult to describe in words. Now this idea has been copied and offered by many of the major tool venders, including Craftsman, and many others. Now they have gone a step further and have the spline sockets that fit many more bolts/nuts. BTW the narrator calls the sockets bolts and mispronounces other items. I think he did this video before he had his coffee. Ignore those and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg7Yu-DeLA0

Well, I went by HFT, or someone called them China Freight, and, you won't believe it, they were having a tent sale. I bought a lot of things, but I wanted to tell you about the 10 pc. 3/8" socket set I bought for more Metrinch spares for my tool kit. This set was Chrome and looked good like the 1/4" drive set, but for one thing..... the sockets were 12 point not 6 point. I double checked and there were no 3/8" drives sets in six point. I almost didn't buy them, because I don't think they will be 'both SAE and Metric' like the 1/4 drive set is. I did get them and will try them out to see if they are good Metrinch replacements.

I am the OP and earlier I posted that I had found at HFT a six point 10 piece set of 1/4" drive sockets for only 6.99. Problem was it was Metric only. It was not labeled as dual duty; meaning fitting both SAE or Metric. I bought them anyway and tried them out on several SAE bolts and it worked on both Metric and SAE. I now had my replacement for the missing 10 and 7 mm sockets in my Metrinch tool kit. Then I decided to look for a 3/8 " drive set of sockets even though I wasn't missing any 3/8" sockets. I found at HFT a 10 pc. 3/8" Metric set but it was in 12 point, not 6 point like the true Metrinch sockets are. I bought it anyway and tried it on three SAE bolts: a 3/8"=10mm, a 1/2"=13mm, and a 9/16"=14mm. The 12 point Metric worked perfectly on all three SAE bolts, so I hope I have a back up if I ever lose some of the 3/8" drive sockets in my Metrinch tool kit.
HFT Pittsburgh Pro series in 1/4"=pn 67940 -six point sockets
HFT Pittsburgh Pro series in 3/8"=pn 67923 twelve point. Can't find in six point...If anyone out there finds a good six point 3/8" drive set of sockets with the tuliped or bowed sockets inside (not flanked!) Please let me know. Thanks, Jim

Looking on the net, I found this old Metrinch video. It is actually a part of the original 30 min. TV infomercial. It shows the inside of the Metrinch socket and tells you about the special capabilities of the Metrinch tools. It tells and shows you much better than I can. When you look at the tool box, the top row is the 1/4 drive and the middle and bottom rows are 3/8. The row of deep sockets on the right are all 3/8 drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXs_8hetE8&feature=related

I found this test by a member of the Garage Journal forum. Apparently they obsess over tools like those of us on the BITOG forum do on oil and filters and so on. Old tools, new tools, the best tools, the worst tools; and then I came across this scientific test on the best sockets on the market today. They had a collection of sockets and for test purposes , bought a number of similar bolts from McMaster-Barr in Atlanta and put them in a vise and proceeded to test them with a torque wrench. They had a wide collection of sockets: SK, Bonney, Kobalt, Craftsman, and Japanese, Chinese, German, and other international manufacturers. Your favorite tool may be included in this test. Note that no. 25 is Pittsburgh and no. 26 is Metrinch. They put a purple dye on each bolt head so the bolt contact would show up for the camera. Please take a look. You will be surprised.
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73245

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back