Sour Cream Salad Dressing

When I was a little kid, my parents used to take me to a restuarant that made their own salad dressing. They called it "ranch" dressing on the menu, but it didn't taste anything like ranch dressing. I told that to the waiter and he said it's their "house" dressing that they made right there at the restaurant. They put the word "ranch" on the menu because that was what most people were familiar with. The primary taste was sour cream, but the question is, what did they add to it? Now of course the restaurant has been shut down for many years and their salad dressing remains a mystery. So tonight, I made a salad and poured some sour cream on it. It tasted similar to the dressing at the restaurant from years past, but missing some key ingredients. The one thing I know for sure is the mystery salad dressing didn't have any buttermilk in it, or at least I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Try this recipe from the cook's pyjamas for a start. You may need to adjust based on your memory.

Ingredients​

• 60 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
  • 30 ml (2 Tbsp) white wine vinegar
  • 40 ml (2 Tbsp & 2 tsps) extra virgin olive oil
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove of garlic crushed
  • Salt and pepper

Try this recipe from the cook's pyjamas for a start. You may need to adjust based on your memory.

Ingredients​

• 60 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
  • 30 ml (2 Tbsp) white wine vinegar
  • 40 ml (2 Tbsp & 2 tsps) extra virgin olive oil
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove of garlic crushed
  • Salt and pepper
I am interested in trying this... thanks!

Have you ever eaten at a Longhorn Steakhouse and had a mixed greens salad with your dinner with their ranch? I always think their ranch tastes a lot different that others... I almost taste some salad dressing (Miracle Whip) in the dressing.

Wonder if this is something similar to what you recall?

Back