Sound of Honda's 2015 F1 Engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a little vacuum cleaner with different rev's, should make it so cheap F1 games can actually mimic the proper sound now lol.

I don't think the new engines strong point is going to be their sound... Turbo, V6, and only 15k rpm is going to make it tough to compare even to the latest V8's, let alone to the past engines.
Also I wonder if the new engines will actually spend quite a bit of time at lower rpms, as it may be more fuel efficient and the turbo could allow them to make good power down there?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Sounds like a little vacuum cleaner with different rev's, should make it so cheap F1 games can actually mimic the proper sound now lol.

I agree.... my 50cc scooters sound more throaty...

Another fake... Honda has promised to release some sound clips in 3 days on the 18th.

Yasuhisa Arai who is the head of motor sports R&D said this back in July:

“To meet and exceed the expectations of our fans, we will accelerate our development to bring back the unique Honda engine sound onto the track.”

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Another fake... Honda has promised to release some sound clips in 3 days on the 18th.

Yasuhisa Arai who is the head of motor sports R&D said this back in July:

“To meet and exceed the expectations of our fans, we will accelerate our development to bring back the unique Honda engine sound onto the track.”

Not a fake. Honda officially released it today, same audio.

Wow, that sound of short swept volumes.
Seems that when bore/stroke ratios get this high that combustion seems to no longer be about flame fronts and more about sonic pressure waves.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: FIA2014rules

5.3.1 Cylinder bore diameter must be 80mm (+/- 0.1mm).

That puts the stroke at around 53mm, or 2.087"
happy2.gif

Here's a Honda K20 blueprinted down to 1.5L via custom crankshaft, yet still bored out to 89mm! + 61mm stroke = *Massive bore/stroke ratio. 10K limit seems a little low, very conservative for those dimensions.
*if you turn up your sub or listen closely, you can hear the normally infrasonic secondary harmonic of an inline 4 become audible as a low frequency 'thrumming'!!

No matter the engine configuration, whether with or without mufflers, there's just a uniquely smooth note to high bore/stroke engines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Here is a link to the sound of the Renault V6 turbo:

http://www.renaultsport.com/Come-on-feel-the-noise,2630.html?lang=en

As an art, I think Renault has it down, no question.
thumbsup2.gif

I've never cared about how a racing engine sounds. I just want good racing. I enjoy watching the Audi diesels despite them being almost silent. They're incredible machines. I can tell that with my eyes.

I agree that sound is not important. I don't want them to sound like lawnmowers, but the previous turbo era was exciting and the engine note wasn't all that impressive back then either. F1 and even IndyCar need more manufacturers. Only three in F1 next year (four if we count Honda for 2015) and only two in IndyCar again. Ford, BMW, Porsche, Toyota, Yamaha, come back...

The new F1 turbo formula is not about maximum engine output. It's about high engine efficiency and energy recovery.
They have the rules written so that the engine output is limited to ~550-600 HP, and another 210 HP available from Kinetic and Thermal Energy Recovery systems.
The engine output is limited by a fuel flow limit of 100 kg/hr, and an onboard fuel capacity limit of 100 kg of fuel to complete a 300 km race.

So with a fairly typical high-performance engine tuning running 10% rich for best power, this racing engine would require 9.8 psi of boost pressure at 15000 rpm to reach the 220 lb/hour fuel flow limit. Assuming a 35% thermal efficiency, the engine would make 557 HP.

If the engine were tuned to stoichiometric air-fuel ratio, and downspeeded to 12000 rpm, it would require 19.8 psi boost to reach the 220 lb/hr fuel flow. Because of the lower crankshaft speed, which reduces friction, and the chemically correct air-fuel ratio, the engine could be expected to have ~10% higher thermal efficiency, so peg it at 38.5%. This would allow the power to increase to 613 HP.

I have recently read that F1 engine constructors are planning to actually run the engines lean of stoichiometric by as much as 20%. Maybe they can do this with direct cylinder fuel injection. Also, the new rules specify that the 100 kg/hr fuel flow limit applies down to 10500 rpm, and below that, the allowable fuel flow is decreased. Downspeeding again to 10500 rpm, leaning the air-fuel ratio to 17.6:1, and boosting the thermal efficiency to 42% gives a required boost pressure of 33.1 psi and a power output of 668 HP. (This last step I don't believe is feasible, as good diesel engines in heavy duty trucks run at thermal efficiencies of 42%, not racing engines running at 5 times the crankshaft speed and lower compression ratios.) But anyway, these 3 "tunings" bracket where I think the new F1 engines will be operating.

A Harman,
that analysis sounds like engineering...what on Earth is it doing here, in the land of feel and supposition ?

I've loathed the statement that "racing improves the breed" since nearly every major league stopped homologation of racing tech onto road vehicles in order to be able to run the race stuff...but this sounds like it's cutting edge applicable.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
wink.gif

I do think the new F1 rules package is an attempt by the FIA to make racing more relevant to road car development. But the new powertrains are so complex, it'll take a whole crew of engineers to figure out how to go race distance as fast as possible while burning the allowable amount of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back