Sound - Ear Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If you want to spend the extra money, consider an "active" hearing protection earmuff

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Peltor-Sport-Tactical-Sport-Hearing-Protector/?N=5002385+8740615+3293173717&preselect=8709316+8744796&rt=rud

I know people whose career is in testing of weapons and ammunition don't solely depend on passive devices.

Lousy protection NNR 20 regular ear plugs are better than that.

The problem with regular ear plugs is in order to get the most out of them, you have to prepare and insert them in properly. A lot people don't know how to use regular ear plugs properly.

Ammo Factories I used to visit a lot usually had some sort of compressible ear plug, like the Sparkplugs.

The problem with passive protection is if someone is trying to talk to you, they also get filtered out. The active ones still allow you to hear people trying to talk to you, as sometimes they are communicating something important to you, aside from the usual chitchat.

Last edited:
Best protection for a very loud area of a range is to double up ... properly inserted foamies under a decent pair of muffs.
Personally, I've found active protection is adequate around most pistol-only shooting, .22 through .45 in non-magnums. It's a godsend if you're teaching a class or serving as an RO. It's good to be able to hear fellow range personnel and the shooters.
But if I'm at range getting in my own work or giggles and someone next to me is banging away with a loud rifle, sure, I double up. You get better hearing protection and can concentrate better on your own shooting.
Always, always a good idea to keep extra foamies in the bag and in the car, IMO. They're inexpensive, and if you don't need 'em, someone else might.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back