sometimes it just boils down to luck; foreign object in tire

saw this in my front tire this morning..
IMG_0435.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, lucky. Outside the area for a USTMA repair procedure. Saved some money. (y)
tires are nearing the end of their life cycle anyway, I probably would have plugged it and used it for a spare... until I wear the rest of them out.

but this is what it amounted to. no harm no foul.

View attachment 187285

1) Not a big issue so that’s a great deal.

2) You paying attention to things like that is a very good thing.

About 2 and a half months agoI had a darn mail through the sidewall of my left side tire….. Very, very odd … Almost made me think someone did that on purpose. .

Near the edge of the tread. I thought they would plug patch it, but no luck. It was a Conti for our Tesla Model 3. 10K miles, maybe.
No road hazard warranty?

Controversial take, but I always get the certificates from DT. Have already used the certs to get a new tire that would have been $250ish, during Christmas season when we were kinda strapped for extra $. Never know 100% if we'll have the funds available to purchase a replacement; I appreciate the peace of mind, especially if my wife is out and about by herself. Due to health issues, I'm not always available to ride to the rescue like I would when we were younger. She is fully capable of installing her spare and driving to discount tire for a repair or replacement.

Company truck tire patch. No bubbles, send it.
And why commercial truck tire tread is in the 18-25/32nds range.

We get lucky once in a while! I've had this happen one time & the tire shop didn't charge me anything LOL. I pulled my old 3/4 ton from the garage into the driveway, went inside the house, & about 5 minutes later heard a loud TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. It was obvious that a tire was leaking & sure enough the back rear tire was flat from a nail I must have ran over. My biggest peave is getting brand new tires & then NAIL! :oops:

No road hazard warranty?

Controversial take, but I always get the certificates from DT. Have already used the certs to get a new tire that would have been $250ish, during Christmas season when we were kinda strapped for extra $. Never know 100% if we'll have the funds available to purchase a replacement; I appreciate the peace of mind, especially if my wife is out and about by herself. Due to health issues, I'm not always available to ride to the rescue like I would when we were younger. She is fully capable of installing her spare and driving to discount tire for a repair or replacement.

I'm the opposite. I dont buy the "certificates"... seeing as I have probably bought 40 Complete sets of tires in my lifetime and have had 2 tire failures in that time. since the tire certificates add about 10% to the cost of a set of tires and one tire is 25% of the cost of set of 4 tires, anyone who can do math see's that it is just a way to get more money out of the end user without having much risk for the seller.

I know it is just like every other extended warranty.. they make more money off of it.. or they wouldn't offer it. I will take the chance.

That tire is done for all but sunny days anyways
I figure I wll get about 10k more out of it, before I will get new tires.
since is is d aually, and I had a tire failure in Canada, I am in a bit of a quandry as I have 2 brand new tires on the LR... so I need 4.. so I will probably buy 4 tires and try to wear out a set of six rather evenly.. instead of it being out of sorts like it is now.

I'm the opposite. I dont buy the "certificates"... seeing as I have probably bought 40 Complete sets of tires in my lifetime and have had 2 tire failures in that time. since the tire certificates add about 10% to the cost of a set of tires and one tire is 25% of the cost of set of 4 tires, anyone who can do math see's that it is just a way to get more money out of the end user without having much risk for the seller.

I know it is just like every other extended warranty.. they make more money off of it.. or they wouldn't offer it. I will take the chance.
I completely understand and respect the opinions and reasoning on both sides of this decision. A bit more detail regarding my pro-extended warranty rationale:

It's just like insurance on anything else, really. They make money when the insured doesn't make a claim. Auto, homeowner's, renter's, etc. If you need to replace just 1 tire out of the set, the certificates pay for themselves and then some. Not like it's a recurring monthly premium or anything. But for people that live check-to-check or are hovering around the poverty line, it can be a lifesaver down the road for a small fee upfront.

I also bought the extended warranty for my $1300 television. May never need it, but for less than 10% upfront, it'll get fixed or replaced (with a newer model) if it ever dies within the 5 years. If it doesn't? Oh well. But I don't have to have a panic attack if it ever dies within that timeframe, while we save up for its inevitable replacement/upgrade down the road, once it is out of warranty.

Having witnessed my parents struggle during my youth when any type of major financial crisis arose (blown tires, appliance failures, etc--saw them literally lose tons of sleep at times)), I choose, as an adult, to not only have and maintain a safety cushion in the bank, but also to insure the goods I buy, for my own peace of mind. Our safety cushion is only 4 digits, if I can spend a bit extra up front to not have to deplete it, then I will personally choose to do so. We also only operate on 'cash' up front, we don't do credit purchases or payment plans, so replacing big ticket items can be troublesome, particularly if they occur close to one another (as seems to be Murphy's Law haha).

Anyway, that's just a little deeper dive into my rationale regarding extended warranties/road hazard. Also, for the record, advanced mathematics was my top subject in school, I was taking AP calculus my freshman year. Haha🙂

I completely understand and respect the opinions and reasoning on both sides of this decision. A bit more detail regarding my pro-extended warranty rationale:

It's just like insurance on anything else, really. They make money when the insured doesn't make a claim. Auto, homeowner's, renter's, etc. If you need to replace just 1 tire out of the set, the certificates pay for themselves and then some. Not like it's a recurring monthly premium or anything. But for people that live check-to-check or are hovering around the poverty line, it can be a lifesaver down the road for a small fee upfront.

I also bought the extended warranty for my $1300 television. May never need it, but for less than 10% upfront, it'll get fixed or replaced (with a newer model) if it ever dies within the 5 years. If it doesn't? Oh well. But I don't have to have a panic attack if it ever dies within that timeframe, while we save up for its inevitable replacement/upgrade down the road, once it is out of warranty.

Having witnessed my parents struggle during my youth when any type of major financial crisis arose (blown tires, appliance failures, etc--saw them literally lose tons of sleep at times)), I choose, as an adult, to not only have and maintain a safety cushion in the bank, but also to insure the goods I buy, for my own peace of mind. Our safety cushion is only 4 digits, if I can spend a bit extra up front to not have to deplete it, then I will personally choose to do so. We also only operate on 'cash' up front, we don't do credit purchases or payment plans, so replacing big ticket items can be troublesome, particularly if they occur close to one another (as seems to be Murphy's Law haha).

Anyway, that's just a little deeper dive into my rationale regarding extended warranties/road hazard. Also, for the record, advanced mathematics was my top subject in school, I was taking AP math my freshman year. Haha🙂
good... I just remember walmart automatically tacking a 45 dollar charge on for tire warranty on one of my cars that had tires that cost 50 bucks each.. and I said to myself so basically I am paying for a 5th invisible tire that I may never need but will pay for anyway... and where was the savings in that? . So I made them remove the charge.
Same applies to my latest tire purchaseat DT, 4 Load range G Carlisle for my trailer.. basically 250 dollars each out the door... for an extra 100 dollars I get the free tire .. so if I ruined a tire I get one for 100 bucks but if I dont ruin a tire I I threw away 10% extra. extrapolate that out over every tire you purchase and you see its a good deal for the seller and not so good a deal for the buyer. But that is me, I have money because I am a bit of a risk taker.

good... I just remember walmart automatically tacking a 45 dollar charge on for tire warranty on one of my cars that had tires that cost 50 bucks each.. and I said to myself so basically I am paying for a 5th invisible tire that I may never need but will pay for anyway... and where was the savings in that? . So I made them remove the charge.
Same applies to my latest tire purchaseat DT, 4 Load range G Carlisle for my trailer.. basically 250 dollars each out the door... for an extra 100 dollars I get the free tire .. so if I ruined a tire I get one for 100 bucks but if I dont ruin a tire I I threw away 10% extra. extrapolate that out over every tire you purchase and you see its a good deal for the seller and not so good a deal for the buyer. But that is me, I have money because I am a bit of a risk taker.
I wish I had taken a risk on Amazon, Google, etc back when they were startups in the 90s. My financial worldview would be entirely different! Haha

No road hazard warranty?

These were the original tires on the car, so no warranty. At least that's what I figured...

Back