So... how much should one buy (hoard)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Ammo is like cash when the [censored] hits the fan. I stockpile a lot of ammo...been hoarding since the 1990's when 1000rds of 7.62x39 was under $100. I do a lot of shooting and it is getting harder to get any good deals right at the moment.

To answer your question of how much is enough? I have probably 30-40,000 rounds of all sorts of calibers. That is probably excessive. I recommend to my friends that they should have 1000-2000 rounds of their .223 or 7.62x39 rifle rounds, 500 of shotshells and at least 500rds of handgun ammo at all times as a minimum.

I keep about 4,000rds of .40 S&W, around 1000 12ga, 5,000 or so of 22LR and about 1,000 of .308 Winchester. That should keep me set for a while, however anytime I find deals I pounce. I have even been thinking of buying up .223 if I can find it for when I build an AR.

Lost in all of the noise is the fact that the killing is being mostly done by criminals including gang violence, mental cases, radicals, and some domestic violence, etc. The typical law abiding citizen who owns guns is not doing the killing. A lot of the men involved in the most recent mass killings had definite mental issues. Where is the mental health?

Think about it for a little while. More than 300 million guns in the USA and the murder rate is THAT LOW!

But the murder rate is pretty high in Chicago where they have very strict laws. The bigshots there still send their own children to special elite schools that have plenty of security.

In the end nothing will be accomplished (except maybe they will have a ban on 'assault weapons,' high capacity magazines, and a national database of gun ownership) and sometime in the future the bans oon high capacity magainzes and 'assault weapons' will be dropped. And we still will not have decent mental health in this country or security for the schools. Great job politicians.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
If you want to get a kick out of something check out how much all the SHTF peeps are stocking. One guy said he has something like 17,000 rounds in his basement. Unreal!

I don't consider that amount 'unreal' at all.

If you are an avid shooter and plan to be active in the hobby for many years to come, it makes sense to buy ammo in bulk while it's cheap and available. Copper and lead seem to be constantly increasing in price and therefore ammo just keeps getting more expensive. Military surplus ammo is not as available as it used to be and has gone up wildly in price over the last 10 years. You couple that with the fact that the dollar is being devalued rapidly, it just makes sense to stock up when you can.

Now is NOT the time to stock up, however. Between our military gobbling up large quantities of ammo lately and widespread panic due to fear of government regulations, the supply of all ammo is way out of balance with demand right now.

BTW, I think 10,000-15,000 rounds PER CALIBER is a good supply to have on hand.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Twice the motor vehicle death rate?

Time to ban high-horsepower cars, then. Nobody NEEDS to go over 75 MPH. Nobody NEEDS more than 150 HP. 30,000 Americans die every year from this...

100 every day, including innocent children! Sandy Hook happens on our roads every day just so a few car nuts can have their high horsepower cars?

We simply have to do something!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Perhaps, but it still isn't many. So apparently there is some difference.

Australia gun homicide is 0.09, USA gun homicide is 3.9

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate#section_1

US has double the motor vehicle death rate of Australia as well (or Canada).

twice the chance of dying in a fire, or malnutrition
5 times the chance of general violence

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/malnutrition/by-country/

So what is the population density in each place? density of cars on the roads in the areas where this happens most?

How about the whole picture? Its never given, so your commentary is as invalid as you claim mine is then. So whats the poit of posting worthless stats then?

Or do yours somehow magically have higher worth than mine?

The UK is 4x more violent than the US too, so what's your point? At least the savages there arent shooting each other up, the way they are here, which is exactly the reason why these discussions occur in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Twice the motor vehicle death rate?

Time to ban high-horsepower cars, then. Nobody NEEDS to go over 75 MPH. Nobody NEEDS more than 150 HP. 30,000 Americans die every year from this...

100 every day, including innocent children! Sandy Hook happens on our roads every day just so a few car nuts can have their high horsepower cars?

We simply have to do something!

Why do we have to go back to that stupid, irrelevant argument over and over again????

Supton, you have good, rational responses. But when you talk about cars, food, etc., it's just not a good analog.

Food can only kill the holder. And it's utility and sole intent is to nourish. For someone to use a chunk of steak or a bay leaf as means to the end is a real stretch. If food is used as the conduit of poison, which like guns, is designed to kill, then it's a different story still.

Cars are designed to transport. If we could all have our own personal commuter battle tank, I might say its different, but we don't. So unlike guns which are designed to kill, cars are designed to transport first and foremost. Some race cars the same way that some shoot targets for "sport". But the intended use is still vastly different and it's reasonable and rationally straightforward to see this.

Cars are subject to registration, inspection, and routine, random police validation that unsafe practices such as excessive speed. Further, in many public places that could be a target, barriers are put in place to limit access. And typically, sufficient speed to do mass damage cannot occur because an exotic isn't going to jump a curb and keep going well, and a pickup truck isnt going to accelerate to 40mph in half a second. Plus, the car doesn't have the easy ability to kill hundreds in one fire (like a rifle with 100rd drum) in a 360 degree circle with agility of movement.

So if you're for the analog of cars, then you must be advocating registration, inspection and random police checks for illegal activity.

Let's not forget the basis for each. Cars are inherently to transport with a non-malicious intent. Guns are designed for the effect of massive force transfer. Whether it is a body (hunting rifle is intended to kill, like anything else), a piece of paper, etc., the end intent was always the same. No car is DESIGNED to impart energy into another car or person or wall as its primary function. Its just a plain silly argument.

We have MSDSs for water, since it can kill, too. And people have used it. Im sure you would advocate banning water too, right? That would solve all our humanity problems in like five days...

It ain't hoarding, it's planning ahead.

What has worked for me is 10,000 per caliber with 5-10% JHP. Now, if prices or laws get stupid, I can ration that into a lifetime supply if necessary. If I die unexpectantly, my son will be very happy about his inheritance.

So what is the population density in each place? density of cars on the roads in the areas where this happens most?

How about the whole picture? Its never given, so your commentary is as invalid as you claim mine is then. So whats the poit of posting worthless stats then?

Or do yours somehow magically have higher worth than mine?

The UK is 4x more violent than the US too, so what's your point? At least the savages there arent shooting each other up, the way they are here, which is exactly the reason why these discussions occur in the first place.

Wow man...you are putting a LOT of words where I didn't. Where did I claim any stat was more valid than yours, or dis yours ?

OK, no point whatsoever obviously.

One last series of points 'though...just facts, not my facts better than your facts, just numbers.

In 2011, 315,251,000 Americans weren't killed by the 270,000,000 guns in circulation. In spite of enough guns to kill 2/3 of the population, you had a 99.997 percent chance of not being killed by one of them.

74,716,000 children, who could have all been killed nearly 4 times over, weren't killed by guns. 99.9992 percent of them...

In a country awash with guns, you and your wife should walk down the street confidently, because statistically you are safe. Something like 8/10 of the house that you pass will have a gun in them, and 99.997% of them aren't going to be shooting at you.

What a way to play with numbers. We definitely add to the numbers with ownership greater than there are people in our household, but I refuse to propagate the fallacy that somehow its magically making the place safer vs other stuff from gentrification to better policing to whatever else.

In November, i signed up for the NRA's new handgun class, which started January 1st.

Now, I cannot buy a new firearm. I have the money and permits; I just cannot find a decent one for sale. A gun shop quoted me $200 over retail and an expected delivery date of September for a H&K USP. My local place said they should be able to get a Sig 229 in just over 12 weeks. Even if they had one in stock, I couldn't find anything to shoot.

It grates on me that some people are running out to buy ammo for something that they don't even own - or buying more than a lifetime supply. If you don't need it, then leave it on the shelf!

Well you can't blame people for taking the opportunity when it knocks. And given the price of commodities with the economy slowly improving and three billion people wanting those metals for wires and pipes and batteries, there is good reason for it to go up.

Those points made by many on here are very valid, especially if you reload.

The fallacy of numbers is this: we're talking about a right in the US. The right to keep and bear arms. So, while everyone wants to talk about the numbers, they aren't the point.

In those numbers, however, it's difficult to make the case that the 310 million guns in the US cause violence...particularly when there are no guns in GB and they have a higher incidence of violent crime...or when criminals in Australia are using guns more often and violent crime is on the rise (even though guns were confiscated from law-abiding Australians) or when a state like Vermont (my former residence) has more guns per capita than most, and has no concealed carry law (you just carry a gun if you want to) and in which my kids have seen guns in the parking lot of their schools (particularly in November) and yet is tied for the lowest murder rate in the US....all of the numbers simply show that violence is a complex problem...but they don't show a causal relationship.

Nowhere do the numbers show an increase in public safety from the restriction of gun rights in those island countries (which as Shannow has pointed out, have no border traffic from neighbors with easier laws). Further, those countries do not have a constitutional right of the people to keep and bear arms, so regulation and confiscation is simply a matter of legislation there.

While you find the car analogy objectionable, car ownership is not a constitutionally protected right...and that was the point, really, that no one would allow cars to be banned, restricted or confiscated, and they cause far more deaths and injuries than guns. They may not be purpose-built to kill, but they sure do a good job of killing and injuring citizens every day and we, as a society accept that risk without hesitation.

The reality of the numbers in the US is that violent crime continues to decline and the murder rate in the US has been in steady decline since the early 90s.

So, while I am sympathetic to the need to reduce violence and to continue to improve public safety, the libertarian in me is concerned with the erosion of rights...and I am with Ben Franklin on this one: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Nowhere do the numbers show an increase in public safety from the restriction of gun rights in those island countries (which as Shannow has pointed out, have no border traffic from neighbors with easier laws). Further, those countries do not have a constitutional right of the people to keep and bear arms, so regulation and confiscation is simply a matter of legislation there.

Maybe. But they do show a decrease in gun deaths, which again, is the issue du jour.

Whether the savages in Australia, the UK or the US are more savage is an argument for another day. The question is if gun deaths decrease with gun restrictions in first world nations, and the answer by looking at all trends is yes.

So, going back to my initial premise, if one has similar and consistently difficult ability to purchase 25, 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 3000 miles away, what happens is that the savages who bring the numbers up in the inner cities (still havent seen the number when the inner city drug and gang related events are subtracted out) have a hard time with access to ammo and straw purchases (which though illegal, make for a VERY easy access to guns, even easier than the 150k that are stolen each year which everyone seems to conveniently forget about), and help draw the numbers down.

Once you draw the numbers down, then the anti-gun folks have even less of a leg to stand upon.

I cant help it that people in the UK are inherently 4x more violent than people in the US. Shame on them. But we can indeed look at gun death numbers and understand what happens. And so my basic premise stays the same... Inner city violence, which drives many of these numbers, can be reduced if the restrictions 50 miles away are the same as locally. Or, to reverse it, a law in an inner city is absolutely worthless when the peoples' buddy just a few miles away is subject to an entirely different law and can outfit at will without restrictions.

And that's why the inner city gun laws fail, not because gun restrictions dont reduce gun deaths (they do).

And of course they will resort to knifing themselves, blowing each other up or who knows what else... But that is a cultural violence issue and a marker of an inferior population in my view, not a matter of anything else.

Did you ever notice a person for banning guns cannot be reasoned with?? I mean, statitics are on the pro-gun side...there is NO rational proof thru the last 100 years that gun control works. Yet, they try to play off people's emotions to push the anti gun agenda because facts don't support them. Plus - its a constitutional right to bear arms...for tyranny which I think our gov't is almost to that point of needing to be "corrected".

Remember---by very defintion, a criminal DOES NOT obey laws...therefore only law abiding folks are effected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
In November, i signed up for the NRA's new handgun class, which started January 1st.

Now, I cannot buy a new firearm. I have the money and permits; I just cannot find a decent one for sale. A gun shop quoted me $200 over retail and an expected delivery date of September for a H&K USP. My local place said they should be able to get a Sig 229 in just over 12 weeks. Even if they had one in stock, I couldn't find anything to shoot.

It grates on me that some people are running out to buy ammo for something that they don't even own - or buying more than a lifetime supply. If you don't need it, then leave it on the shelf!

Two things:

Just be patient. There will be plenty of guns to buy at list or discount in a few months. The gun manufacturers have ramped up production. Glock is building a new factory in Smyrna. The AWB will fail and the panic will subside. Everyone will have all the guns and ammo they need, then the pipeline will be saturated by overproduction. It happened in 2010, it will happen again.

Secondly, last time I checked, this is America. Don't you dare tell me or anyone else how much of anything we can or cannot buy. Just because you were asleep and missed the last low price cycle and now are [censored] about it does not mean I caused your problem. Grow up.

Last edited:
JHZR2 - I have always respected your opinion. It's clear from all your posts that you're an educated, thoughtful person, but on this point we don't share the same opinion. Not even close...

Gun restrictions may reduce gun deaths (in other countries, though it's not at all clear to me that they would in this country), but if the restrictions don't reduce violent crime or increase public safety, then we have gained nothing...despite your certainty that gun restrictions reduce deaths, deaths in the US have declined since the Assault Weapons ban was repealed in 2004. So, we have a huge increase in gun sales, gun ownership, over the past 10 years and yet homicides have been declining...it's still not clear to me that restrictions would even work here.

Except to give up a Constitutional right, and deprive the law-abiding American citizen of his/her ability (and therefor right) to defend themselves against that very violence was not affected by the restrictions.

What's interesting in all this discussion is the emotionalism - the sensationally inaccurate description of firearms, the poor understanding of how they work, or the outcomes/tactics involved in shootings.

One American sniper, with a bolt action hunting rifle in .308, can kill over a hundred bad guys. We've shown that in combat over and over (ask the Somali Pirates, the Taliban, and others about that) It's the person, not the particular weapon, that presents a threat or a danger to another person.

The firearm remains the only means by which a person can stop a determined criminal attack. Most people don't have martial arts training, or the street experience necessary to resist an unarmed criminal, particularly if the person being attacked is older, smaller (particularly female) or weaker. Against an attack by an armed criminal, only an armed individual can resist.

And in this country, it's their right to be able to defend against that attack.

Perhaps that's why I find this debate so important. We're talking about the rights of law-abiding Americans. Other countries don't enumerate this right. We DO. Plain and clear. All deaths are a tragedy, but not all deaths are bad deaths.

My rhetorical question above was never answered: how many of those deaths were bad guys? Who was doing the shooting in the guns deaths we have? Was it a person or cop defending the innocent? Was it a bad guy getting killed? That is a critical point - in that case, I'll argue that the death, while tragic, was reasonable and represented support to the basic human right to life. The assailant gave up his right to life the moment he threatened the life of the innocent.

So, if we deny the citizen the right to defense in order to try and reduce gun deaths, we have lost one of our most important rights...and with no certain increase in public safety, that is not a reasonable trade. Some gun restrictions are reasonable - I am OK with the 1934 restrictions on fully automatic weapons. I don't need a machine gun to defend myself, but some gun restrictions make little sense - like the Lautenberg Amendment. A misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence means the person can't have a gun...even if they're in the military (forgot to exempt them in that piece of legislation) so now, I have sailors who can man a .50 caliber M2 (a genuine machine gun) but can't have an M4 or M9 while on the .50, even in combat...

I've spent my life defending others' rights, including the right to free speech, though I find much of that speech ignorant, ill-informed, offensive or just plain stupid...Yet the other rights enumerated in the Constitution don't get the respect that the First does...the right to drive a car like an idiot (not enumerated, but like all rights, inalienable, unless we allow the government to restrict it) seems to be one of our most cherished rights, given the moronic behavior I see on the roads and the death toll from that activity.

Last edited:
I all boils down to the fact that some people like guns and some people don't. Neither will be swayed by an number of "facts" or the facts of any “numbers”. Guns are awesome, or guns are icky.

You have enough ammo when you feel like you do. I thought I had enough .308 for my FAL, but I no longer think so. I liken ammo in hand as something like FOREVER stamps. You buy them once and use them until they’re gone at the same price you paid for them no matter what the price is today. Or, like using up the cheap gas in the tank when the gas at the pumps has gone up 75 cents. Eventually, though, you’ll have to buy at the higher prices. So it’s better to buy a lifetime supply right now.

I got to the AR-15 party a little late, only last year. I was fortunate enough to have put 1500 rounds down range with it before the panic hit. I have about 500 rounds on hand, but can’t find any at reasonable prices. We have a Cabela’s in town and a 20-box of .223 was $6. Now they never have it. But a place I know that always has some is charging $15 per box. And they want $70 for a 30rd PMAG. If I hadn’t already got what I wanted I wouldn’t be able to afford it now. I now buy something every trip to the stores. I’ll get .38 and .45. I don’t think the panic will be over until legislation is killed. If that happens at all. No doubt people will continue to shoot other people, and the liberal news channels will dutifully keep things stirred up for our Skeet Shooter in Chief.

And just in case worse comes to worse, I’ll be putting together another AR as soon as all the parts come in. Prices of parts are anywhere from 50% higher to 4 times higher, depending. Overall, it may add as much as $300-500 to the total cost. Panic tax. Late-to-the-party tax. Be-prepared-at-whatever-cost tax. Wife-wants-her-own-rifle tax. It’s aways something…

I respect a man who changes his own oil and knows his way around a tool box, but I don’t think much of people that want to restrict my constitutional rights. Or that roll their eyes when someone says “Constitutional rights.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back