Snap on VS Matco

No thanks.

I had been happy with craftsman and sk. We know their history. Williams has done well for me, as have some of the German brands.
You mention not supporting the Chinese in your earlier post. You do realize that Craftsman is Chinese right? They had opened a new site in Texas a few years ago to bring back tools to the USA and now it is closed just a few years later - back to china they went. They don't even have decent tools anymore including their Pro lines.

You mention not supporting the Chinese in your earlier post. You do realize that Craftsman is Chinese right? They had opened a new site in Texas a few years ago to bring back tools to the USA and now it is closed just a few years later - back to china they went. They don't even have decent tools anymore including their Pro lines.
Their V-series wrenches aren’t shabby.

$1130 for a 44pc 1/4 socket set is just plain insane. There is NO quality or warranty advantage after paying that much vs ICON or some other set. If it was $400 then yeah it may be "acceptable" but I can't justify that price nor the price of almost any Snap on tool. Back in the day yes but today - adios Snap On! I own a lot of Snap on tools but I have not purchased any new Snap on tools since atleast 2010. I love the ICON tools now and for the quality to cost ratio - its a win to me.
Yes some snap on stuff is good to have. But 1/4 drive stuff like that link isn’t very tight and less expensive tools will work just as well.

Last I saw they were from Taiwan

Last I saw they were from Taiwan
I just researched this and it is very confusing to say the least. They are advertising made in America tools but when you dig deeper that means tool boxes and various drills, saws and tools like that not the rachets and sockets etc. The original plan to bring hand tools back to USA from Chinese was with the new plant in Texas that is now closing. From what I can find their hand tools are made in, as you say, Taiwan (one article stated 20%) but they are show being made in India and still most in China. I guess when you get down to it it doesn't matter in today's global economy. It was also pointed out in one article about Craftman's using a label stating made in USA with globally sourced materials. That gets part of the public thinking it is made the made in USA message to some I guess. Overall I used to love them and own a lot from years back. I just recently was gifted some V series (rachet and sockets) and they looked nice. I think they lost me and a lot of others with the shift to China where quality went down. It was not so much where it was made as it was the corp greed reducing quality. Them the closing of stores taking the easy warranty process with it that sealed the fate for many including myself. Now today you can get them at Lowes and that is good! I actually had to warranty a socket and it was no hassle at my Lowes. I hope they come back with quality tools and made in USA would be a great thing as well. They just may pull it off.

I just researched this and it is very confusing to say the least. They are advertising made in America tools but when you dig deeper that means tool boxes and various drills, saws and tools like that not the rachets and sockets etc. The original plan to bring hand tools back to USA from Chinese was with the new plant in Texas that is now closing. From what I can find their hand tools are made in, as you say, Taiwan (one article stated 20%) but they are show being made in India and still most in China. I guess when you get down to it it doesn't matter in today's global economy. It was also pointed out in one article about Craftman's using a label stating made in USA with globally sourced materials. That gets part of the public thinking it is made the made in USA message to some I guess. Overall I used to love them and own a lot from years back. I just recently was gifted some V series (rachet and sockets) and they looked nice. I think they lost me and a lot of others with the shift to China where quality went down. It was not so much where it was made as it was the corp greed reducing quality. Them the closing of stores taking the easy warranty process with it that sealed the fate for many including myself. Now today you can get them at Lowes and that is good! I actually had to warranty a socket and it was no hassle at my Lowes. I hope they come back with quality tools and made in USA would be a great thing as well. They just may pull it off.
I recall Snap On experimenting and they removed USA, and the response was very negative.

Realistically speaking. Am I glad that I was able to buy a $23 power window switch for BMW from a China Amazon Prime seller, instead of the $210 OE made in Japan? Yes. Because the part turned out the same. But some things like tools, I’d rather have USA.

It’s not a matter of patriotism, rather, preference.

I was a Tekton tool fan when they first came out. Nice quality tools at reasonable prices. My sons have pilfered most of those now. Wish I had bought more years ago. Like anything else, with success and a growing reputation for quality their tools have gotten more expensive with time. Still a lot cheaper that the premium truck brands but increasing all the time. As a weekend amature mechanic, Husky and my really old Craftsman sets (the really good stuff from 50 years ago) serves my needs.

My brother just left the mechanic business after 30 years. He owns about 8 tool boxes full of tools (some might be coming up for sale if anyone is interested)
Anyway, I asked him this very question yesterday, and here is his reply:

"Well all of the main vendors have upped there game and quality so kinda depends on the salesperson service and dependability, most/ at least every snap on dealer we have ever had was a (****) and felt like they didn't give a darn if you bought anything or not? Cornwall and Mac have comparable quality and definitely lower price. Same warranty? But each one has a preferred tool such as if I were to buy a line wrench it would be snap on also craftsman professional sets are nice and easy on the hands

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone"

TEKTON has been my Go To this past year. As a retired equipment mechanic of 40 years who bought many Snap-On socket sets and wrench sets over the years, there are many awesome brands out now that weren’t available then.
Much is TEKTON is now being manufactured it USA and their sets are all inclusive of sizes.

I will only buy certain things off tool trucks. Like I love me a good Snap-on or Matco ratchet. Expensive yes but nice and strong and last a long time. Same with line wrenches will only buy Snap-on because they are the only ones that don’t spread when you use them. And pliers Knipex are ok but the Snap-on have superior grips. Anything else though I’ll get somewhere else and I do have other ratchets that are good but the Snap-on is good too. I have never understood the whole country of origin is important stuff and never will. I buy lots of my tools at the parts stores or home improvement stores these days. In my opinion those are the best places to go for sockets and other odds and ins. Tekton and Capri are also good brands to buy. If you buy from their website you get rewards points. Both those brands have excellent sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers. Lots of good brands. Buying used is a great idea too.

..... Look at the price of this 1/4 set.

Anyone who pays $1,130.00 for a 1/4" ratchet and socket set needs to have their head examined. And don't forget, that tool set usually winds up costing far more than that. Because a large percentage of Snap-On tool sets are financed through Snap-On, by way of payroll deductions.

A bit like the way the government sells US Savings Bonds, but with reverse interest.... A LOT of reverse interest. That is completely insane. The difference is Snap-On charges street juice loan rates. And remember, 63% of Americans cannot afford a $500.00 emergency expense today.

Many of these guys have to finance, because the bulk of the guys that buy them are young, and just starting out in their field, (mechanics).

Most have a ton of other living expenses to go along with it. Cars, home mortgages, wife, kids, various other credit card debt. The whole 9 yards. They are for the most part, cash poor.

By the time they pay down the ridiculous loan rates Snap-On charges, it ends up being way higher than the purchase price. In some cases like below, almost double. And as far as Snap-On "holding their value"?.... They better!

Anyone who pays $1,130.00 for a 1/4" ratchet and socket set needs to have their head examined. And don't forget, that tool set usually winds up costing far more than that. Because a large percentage of Snap-On tool sets are financed through Snap-On, by way of payroll deductions.

A bit like the way the government sells US Savings Bonds, but with reverse interest.... A LOT of reverse interest. That is completely insane. The difference is Snap-On charges street juice loan rates. And remember, 63% of Americans cannot afford a $500.00 emergency expense today.

Many of these guys have to finance, because the bulk of the guys that buy them are young, and just starting out in their field, (mechanics).

Most have a ton of other living expenses to go along with it. Cars, home mortgages, wife, kids, various other credit card debt. The whole 9 yards. They are for the most part, cash poor.

By the time they pay down the ridiculous loan rates Snap-On charges, it ends up being way higher than the purchase price. In some cases like below, almost double. And as far as Snap-On "holding their value"?.... They better!

I have never paid more than list price + tax for tools off the truck. biggest balance i ever had was a few hundred dollars though.

Back