Snap on VS Matco

The trucks are coming by work, what brand should I go with? Cornwell comes by too but not very often.

Pretty much everything Matco sells is rebranded. You can buy the exact same tool cheaper.

Both brands are stupid expensinve to say the least. Imo Snap on is pricing them selves out.

Look at the price of this 1/4 set.

My God...$1,100 for a small 1/4 ratchet set???
No way this set is 10x to 20x better than the competition.

The new MATCO ratchets are nice, the ones I don't have I have on an ebay notify since the truck is so pricey. I have one of their boxes from when I turned wrenches, it looks nice in the garage and the neighbors are jelly.

They both have nice stuff, but a lot of the MATCO stuff is rebranded from Lisle and other places.

Pretty much everything Matco sells is rebranded. You can buy the exact same tool cheaper.

Both brands are stupid expensinve to say the least. Imo Snap on is pricing them selves out.

That’s crazy! But there are alternatives to funding the Chinese war machine…

Reactions: GON
I personally feel like a lot of Matco is The Emporer's New Cothes: they think if they price it astronomically people will figure well, it must be good.

Snap On is even more expensive but most of their stuff is proprietary and often US COO. That said, Snap On does rebadge stuff from Lisle, Steck, KASTAR and others. Quite often -- but not always -- that rebadging is done under BluePoint.

If you can plan ahead (and set up search notifications), ebay or secondary market is the way to go. Also FB MP and pawn shops.

Finally, Snap On somewhat holds its value on ebay, but Matco and MAC typically go for way less in the used market.

Every company has its gems and its duds, so I wouldn't hitch your wagon to just one.

Oh also look into the CAT thing. If you have a local dealer ask to see a CAT Tools catalog

I never bought from a tool truck. Snap on were always expensive but very good tools but they are certainly not the be all and end all, the others are not bad but lots of rebranded stuff that were marked up 100% and more over the identical tool from the manufacturer. Mac is mostly rebranded Proto and the quality has been going down hill for years now.
I have mostly German company made tools which are way cheaper with like or better quality to any tool truck tools including Snap on.
Hazet and Stahlwille are very good and for bit sockets Stahlwille are better than any other I have used by a wide margin. Some makes have been changed and cheapened like Dowidat a once premium tool is now Gedore blue which is still German made but they also have an off shore red line which is garbage, this took the whole brand down. I still have some original Dowidat and have been as good as any tool I ever owned but stay clear of the Gedore especially the red.

The Japanese have some real good tools like KTC (Nepros), Tone and Koken are high quality, Engineer pliers and lots of other good makes.
Taiwan has a huge tool industry and should not be overlooked, some are better than others but they have some high quality that is priced right. Carlyle from Napa and Icon from HF have some decent tools, the HF plastic ratchets and the ones from Carlyle are some I really like, the plastic is great in the cold and when working around live electric.
Blue point by Snap on should be on anyone's list especially the Made in USA stuff. Screwdrivers either PB Swiss, Felo, Witte, Wiha, Blue point (original black handle Snap on) sold at a low price, Vessel are all lower priced than tool truck and in most cases better quality.

I personally feel like a lot of Matco is The Emporer's New Cothes: they think if they price it astronomically people will figure well, it must be good.

Snap On is even more expensive but most of their stuff is proprietary and often US COO. That said, Snap On does rebadge stuff from Lisle, Steck, KASTAR and others. Quite often -- but not always -- that rebadging is done under BluePoint.

If you can plan ahead (and set up search notifications), ebay or secondary market is the way to go. Also FB MP and pawn shops.

Finally, Snap On somewhat holds its value on ebay, but Matco and MAC typically go for way less in the used market.

Every company has its gems and its duds, so I wouldn't hitch your wagon to just one.
I'm leaning towards buying used mac, matco and cornwell tools now. I just am worried about them holding up the warranty because I am not the original owner, I know of people that got burned before on used tools by not having the original receipt.

The first Snap On I bought was a S936 1/2” ratchet on eBay for $36. At the time, I thought man I could have a new Craftsman for that, and this is used (from a pawn shop). They are my go to’s to this day (have 3 today). I also have 3/8” and 1/2” 80 tooth and a 100 tooth. All were from eBay some even new. I heard students get up to 50% off to some limit per year and that’s why a ton is new and on eBay. I like how snap on is all date coded. Makes the experience very magical and mysterious lol

IMG_1228.jpeg

I'm leaning towards buying used mac, matco and cornwell tools now. I just am worried about them holding up the warranty because I am not the original owner, I know of people that got burned before on used tools by not having the original receipt.
I haven't had any problems going straight to SnapOn, but shipping can be slllooooow.....

That said, as somethingnomics marches on, they may start requiring receipts regularly in an attempt to cut costs.

In addition to what Trav listed, don't overlook Capri, too.

New sets of Williams sockets are a fraction of SnapOn prices, too.

Like everything, with some time and leg work you can assemble a set of quality professional mechanics' tools at ~40% or less of truck prices. Time vs money, always the trade-off ;)

In my area Snap On will always be here. Matco was absent for about ten years, there’s a good rep now but if he left no one would replace him. Mac was on for about 5, rep is a good guy but he’s pretty strapped for time. I think he just extended his territory because this one was empty for so long.

So quality of rep along with if another will take their place should be considered as well. A good rep will always warranty stuff for you and even show up outside of the normal schedule to bring you a tool you need to buy or need warrantied right now.

I’ve been more satisfied with stuff I got from Snap On. I’ve owned a few duds from Mac that I ended up trading in to the Snap On truck. I’ve bought very little Matco because most of it’s rebranded stuff you can get online cheaper if it’s not a “must have today item”.

Look, it isn't 1995 anymore. Amazon Prime can get you a replacement tool faster than most tool truck drivers. Many tools from Asia work 80-90% as well as Snap-On for 1/3-1/2 of the cost.

There are a few items that Snap-On continues to do better than anyone else (IMO), but that list is getting shorter every year. Even then, I would still purchase on the secondary market:

- Impact swivel sockets
- Chrome 1/4" dr semi-deep sockets
- Ratcheting wrenches; I personally like their 12-pt Dual 80 ratcheting wrenches
- Techangle torque wrenches
- BJP1 Ball Joint Press and associated adapters

Sometimes Snap On is the right tool for the job. There really is a difference but how much and is it worth it price wise varies. I have never regretted any Snap On purchase. Matco has gone down the crapper, most of their stuff is rebranded from overseas. I buy Carlyle or Icon over Matco. We caught our Matco dealer passing counterfeit Milwaukee batteries. Cornwell has decent hand tools, I have a 1/4 set that is on its second case, it has been exceptional for me. Icon same set is a mere $100.00 but it is not up to the Cornwell standard. Still a good deal for the money though. The best price is not always the best value.

$1130 for a 44pc 1/4 socket set is just plain insane. There is NO quality or warranty advantage after paying that much vs ICON or some other set. If it was $400 then yeah it may be "acceptable" but I can't justify that price nor the price of almost any Snap on tool. Back in the day yes but today - adios Snap On! I own a lot of Snap on tools but I have not purchased any new Snap on tools since atleast 2010. I love the ICON tools now and for the quality to cost ratio - its a win to me.

Back