Smart Phone App for Phone Calls via Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some places in the local mountains with no cell phone service, but businesses there have Wi-Fi.

Can you recommend a smart phone app that would let me make phone calls via their Wi-Fi?

I want a free app, not one that I pay for, for an HTC First phone.

I use GrooveIp. The free version lets you call only on WiFi. The paid version lets you call with WiFi or Cellular Data.

I started using it about two years ago when we were in Italy. Anyplace I had WiFi, I could call home on my Google Voice number.

It works well as long as you have sufficient network.

I don't recall what oilBabe has on her iPhone/iPad. But there is an app for that platform to use your Google Voice number as well.

The Google Voice API will no longer remain public starting mid May. This may impact 3rd party apps that rely on Google Voice.

I use Google Voice + the free version of Groove IP. Works great and simple, I even have it on my tablet too so I can use it to make or receive calls if I want.

Apparently there is a Google Voice app for Android. So apparently, I can make Google Voice calls from my Android phone using Google's App.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Apparently there is a Google Voice app for Android. So apparently, I can make Google Voice calls from my Android phone using Google's App.

The native Google Voice app uses your cell minutes, so you need something like Groove IP Lite to use your Google Voice number with VOIP. It's seamless and simple to setup.

Except GrooveIP is going away as mentioned earlier in the thread.

You are right. I put my phone into airplane mode and then turned on the WiFi and the Voice App will not make calls.

Nuts!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: javacontour

The native Google Voice app uses your cell minutes, so you need something like Groove IP Lite to use your Google Voice number with VOIP. It's seamless and simple to setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back