small Pureone oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My civic takes a PL14610, one of the smaller pureone oil filters. Has anyone has used this part number for 10k miles without failure? I was thinking about re-using my filter during my 4-5k summer changes. Thanks.

I use that filter on my Nissan Frontier for about 7000 miles. For what reason would you reuse a filter that can be purchased new for just a few dollars? Seems very penny wise and pound foolish to me.

Yes, on our 01. The factory oci is 11,000 miles and they tell you to reuse the filter for a second change. 10,000 is nothing for that filter on that engine.

I would go longer than that OCI and change the filter every time, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Yes, on our 01. The factory oci is 11,000 miles and they tell you to reuse the filter for a second change. 10,000 is nothing for that filter on that engine.

Use the P1 14459 if you want a little more media and capacity. Currently, it has 5K on it and I'm going more than 10K OCI for sure.

I wondered if the 14459 would fit.. I'll have to get a couple. I already have 10 14610's, but I plan to keep this car for another 100k+

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I use that filter on my Nissan Frontier for about 7000 miles. For what reason would you reuse a filter that can be purchased new for just a few dollars? Seems very penny wise and pound foolish to me.

+1
Originally Posted By: bepperb

IMHO...the P1 is not a long OCI filter...I would not use it beyond 7500+/-.

Instead....use a Mobi1 1 EP filter....OR...a Fram Extended Performance. Both can do 10K easily...especially the M1.

I'm not a big fan of "up sizing" the oil filter.....but would recommend changing/upgrading to the FRAM "XG" filter - BTW, it is "Extended Guard, not Extended Performance
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ashtray77
I wondered if the 14459 would fit.. I'll have to get a couple. I already have 10 14610's, but I plan to keep this car for another 100k+

It should. The 1.7 didn't change much till the 1.8's came out. I suggest either going to the Civicforum and ask or get one and see if it fits.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
I'm not a big fan of "up sizing" the oil filter.....but would recommend changing/upgrading to the FRAM "XG" filter - BTW, it is "Extended Guard, not Extended Performance
smile.gif

Honda used the 14559 size and then they went smaller. So it fine because that's what they use in the first place.

Quote:
....Use the P1 14459 if you want a little more media and capacity....
The 14459 does have more capacity, but as shown/confirmed here the 14610 actually has more media. ~84 sq. in. v ~105 sq. in.

I can't speak from experience, but according to more than one post on this forum, the 14459 has a better efficiency rating and more media than the 14610...

I did a little more research... It seems the poster that claimed that the PL14459 had more media than the PL14610 flip flopped 3 months later and said the opposite. ??

I might/might not have been that poster, but since the 14459 has a greater capacity that would seem to have been a logical conclusion at the time, wouldn't it?

However several 14459's, a Classic and P1 have since been dissected, and a PL14610 with media measurement taken and posted, somewhat surprisingly the 14610 has more media. The kicker here though is, while both are rated at 99.9%, the PL14459 is rated @ 20um while the PL14610 @ 40um. But, since finding more media in the latter, I lean towards it, but that's just me.

fwiw, I've used and have a stash of both, and don't think you can go wrong with either. And, either would be preferable to the shorty 14612, imo.

Not to brand compete here, but if a vehicle can use the 14459 Purolator lineup, then why not use a Wix 51334/NG 1334, since it's a larger one than even that filter?

Not sure of total media, though.

+1 with sayjac's comments. After 14459s and 14610s were cut open and measured is when the media area truth came out. Just goes to show that you can't judge a filter by the size of the outer can.

Sears still have the oversized Honda L-24458 filter at some stores (I bought 6 when Purolator had their mail in promo rebate last year).

10K miles on even a low cost filter is nothing.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
smile.gif

Sorry.....thanks for the correction.

The 14610 isn't a small filter... if you want small filter check out the 14612 which I LOVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back