Sludgy Chrysler 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The stereotypical "Italian tune up"

must be why mine dont die, oil looks like a milkshake and I floor the heck out of it and keeps on goin

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's amazing a 2.7 even made it to 176K miles.

Does my field intrepid with 203k amaze you even more?

I rev the [censored] outta it
frown.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...MQe6zG4f7w#t=44

Put that thing in the Smithsonian! The one I had started burning a qt every 500 miles at just 60K! What a POS!

Lol the kid I bought it from has had good luck with his intrepids

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The stereotypical "Italian tune up"

must be why mine dont die, oil looks like a milkshake and I floor the heck out of it and keeps on goin

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's amazing a 2.7 even made it to 176K miles.

Does my field intrepid with 203k amaze you even more?

I rev the [censored] outta it
frown.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...MQe6zG4f7w#t=44

Put that thing in the Smithsonian! The one I had started burning a qt every 500 miles at just 60K! What a POS!

Lol the kid I bought it from has had good luck with his intrepids

No one I've known has...my bro-in-law's snapped a connecting rod while idling in the driveway destroying the engine...like I said, a nice design that was poorly executed...Dodge should've turned the basic engine design over to the Japs to let them work out all the kinks...then maybe it would've turned out to be an awesome engine...

The 2.7 is a beautiful design that was poorly executed...

Funny. I would describe an engine designed where the water pump is inside the engine and oil as a moronic design. Boom coolant fills the crankcase. Also it was gutless. Toyota mini vans are quicker.

Dropped the pan today, very little sludge, some small bits of debris in the screen.
The gasket for the rear main oil seal retainer pulled out of the block; I injected some silicone in there and hope it doesn't leak much.

Why not just replace it, or at least scrape it off and use a quality RTV?

How did the bearings look?

No one I've known has...my bro-in-law's snapped a connecting rod while idling in the driveway destroying the engine...like I said, a nice design that was poorly executed...Dodge should've turned the basic engine design over to the Japs to let them work out all the kinks...then maybe it would've turned out to be an awesome engine...

Chrysler did turn to a Japanese company for some engines. They went with Mitsubishi, and ended up with some really bad designs, such as the 2.5 V6, 3.0 V6, 2.6L I4, and a few others.

Maybe if they got their info from the right company, this wouldn't have happened.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Why not just replace it, or at least scrape it off and use a quality RTV?

How did the bearings look?

Gasket is a molded little strip of silicone. I'd have to pull the engine to change it.
Didn't get a look at the bearings either; first rod I tried to take the bolts out of I rounded the head of one of the bolts. That together with the gasket made me decide to button it back up and drive it until it grenades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back