Sludge Removal from 2019 Infiniti

My girlfriend has a 2019 Infiniti with 20,000 miles on it. She got an engine oil pressure warning last week so she took it in and finally had the oil change. (I don’t think she ever did beforehand). I know how crazy that sounds but she didn’t realize it I guess?

A week later her car started shaking a lot and the check engine light came on. She took it in and was told her 4th cylinder was misfiring. After that was fixed I had my guy look at it and he put some transmission fluid in to break up the slush and he did another oil change with AMS synthetic oil. She drove it today and said there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

She has 6 months or so left on her lease and I would like to help her solve the sledge issue so she doesn’t have a problem when she returns it. Anyone has a suggestion as to next steps to help remedy this situation? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the help!

Did you check the oil level? I would also check the coolant level.

You should also get another guy as "your guy"; no one should be putting ATF into a crankcase in 2021

Did you look down the fill hole? Who said it was sludged and how was that determined?

Did you check the oil level? I would also check the coolant level.

You should also get another guy as "your guy"; no one should be putting ATF into a crankcase in 2021

Did you look down the fill hole? Who said it was sludged and how was that determined?
They did an oil change last week so assume that’s fine.

It is under warrant but according to what she told me sludge in the engine would void the warranty and she would be on the hook to replace it because it was her responsibility to have the oil changed more frequently. She was told the new engine could cost 12-15k and I’m trying to help her get it fixed before the lease is up so she won’t get hit with a big bill.

I live in NYC and don’t have a car but if someone has a good mechanic in the area I would love a recommendation!

I’d be less inclined to worry about sludge and more inclined to consider that after 20k miles, oil was probably very low and worn beyond healthy lubrication properties. I’d pull the spark plug on #4 and read it for conditions. Hopefully not, but there may be tangible damage.

Is this a QX60 by chance with the VQ35DD engine? This engine was put into production starting in 2017 in the Nissan Pathfinde, Infinity QX60, etc.

If it is, this has got to be around 10 instances now where I've heard of this specific engine smoking like a chimney or sludged up to the point the only way to fix it is replace the engine. This is happening at low mileage as well, but I think 20K miles is the lowest I've read of yet. Most of the others were in the 30-50K mile range, but those folks at least did some oil/filter changes. If she indeed never changed or checked the engine oil in ~3yrs/20K miles, that engine, regardless of what it is, is probably toast.

I own a 2019 Pathfinder with this direct injected engine and I do know it blackens the engine oil quickly. I don't use the recommended 0w20 oil and I don't do 5000mi OCIs. I do them no later than 3500mi and I use 5w30 synthetic.

Transmission fluid will do nothing to flush, it's essentially 0w-16 motor oil with less detergents and dispersants than regular motor oil, ATF flush is a myth that won't die, it may have worked 60 years ago, but we don't put sperm whale oil and naphthenic oil in ATF anymore, modern ATF is severely hydroprocessed mineral oil with similar but significantly less additives than motor oil.

Personally I’d change the oil to the recommended viscosity with a new filter and take it for a good hour long freeway drive. Get it good and hot to try and free up and sludge. I’m not sure I’d do much else at this point.

Just my $0.02

This is not meant to sound harsh but as her boyfriend you could change her oil unless there is some reason you can’t. Change it every 5000 miles.

The ATF truck worked for older cars back in the day but on todays modern engines I wouldn’t do it. That’s water under bridge now.

Personally I’d change the oil to the recommended viscosity with a new filter and take it for a good hour long freeway drive. Get it good and hot to try and free up and sludge. I’m not sure I’d do much else at this point.

Just my $0.02
That is exactly what I did when I had synthetic oil put in for her. She drove it 2 days later and she said the exhaust would smoke a lot when she was breaking or starting/stopping. She said when she was cruising on the highway it seemed ok but starting and stopping lead to a cloud of smoke.

You have changed the oil after the ATF was added right?

Coolant level OK?

What symptoms is it having now?

It does not seem like your GF knows how to maintain a car much less a nice car like an Infinity. She probably should be driving a Ford Pinto.

It's hard for someone to determine a lot after the engine oil has been changed. If it has issues bring it in under warranty.

That is exactly what I did when I had synthetic oil put in for her. She drove it 2 days later and she said the exhaust would smoke a lot when she was breaking or starting/stopping. She said when she was cruising on the highway it seemed ok but starting and stopping lead to a cloud of smoke.

It kind of sounds like the damage is done. Again I’d drive the snot out of it for a couple weeks to try and clear things up. Worst case fill it with some thicker oil before turning in the car. 🤷‍♂️

The other option is lesson learned on car maintenance. Pay the bill and move on…

Just my $0.02

It sounds like you need a professional diagnosis. I'd say find a new mechanic first... :)
Yep, any "mechanic" that would try to "flush" an engine with ATF then sell you overpriced oil when it's likely that the engine has been damaged due to way over extending an oil change in what I presume is a TGDI engine is definitely not someone you should go back to. Although sounds like OPs girlfriend may be paying to put a new engine in a lease vehicle she neglected, you should never go 20,000 miles in TGDI Nissan engine.

This is not meant to sound harsh but as her boyfriend you could change her oil unless there is some reason you can’t. Change it every 5000 miles.

The ATF truck worked for older cars back in the day but on todays modern engines I wouldn’t do it. That’s water under bridge now.
We just started dating and I’m trying to help fix whatever damage she already did ;)

I’m really just looking for advise on what the next best steps would be so she hopefully doesn’t have to pay for a new engine.

Someone mentioned trying an engine flush? Would that possibly help?

As Ripcord said, "It sounds like you need a professional diagnosis. I'd say find a new mechanic first..." :)

Yes, find a recommended independent mechanic and stay away from any Infiniti dealer until it gets sorted out. Infiniti will document the negligence and save it for lease turn in time. If she has a model with one of Infiniti's (Mercedes Benz) small turbocharged engines or the Nissan twin turbo V-6, her situation is likely much worse, especially since she drove the vehicle 30 months and 20,000 miles without any oil change.

Last edited:
You have changed the oil after the ATF was added right?

Coolant level OK?

What symptoms is it having now?

It does not seem like your GF knows how to maintain a car much less a nice car like an Infinity. She probably should be driving a Ford Pinto.

It's hard for someone to determine a lot after the engine oil has been changed. If it has issues bring it in under warranty.
Yes the oil was changed after the atf. Haven’t had the coolant level checked. The only issue seems to be the smoke that comes from the exhaust when she starts the car and starts/stops

No. It’s not her car to experiment on.
Sorry I am new to this but if I have a mechanic do it professionally how is it an “experiment”.

I am trying to come up with a solution for her to fix the car so when she returns it it’s in good shape. I would think leaving as is and ignoring the issue and continuing to drive it with smoke coming out it is a worse “experiment” for the car.

Back