SLUDGE!!! Need some oil experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do the high concentration of MMO and HDEO first less money and will probably see the same results(not great).

thats bad it's going to take a long wile to clean that mess up,wow...

No on the ATF.

MMO still is my suggestion. Personally I'd use it over Auto-RX. Both for cost and I'd want to clean it up slowly.

Originally Posted By: Jason280
Thanks, Pennzoil is actually what's in the engine now. Will adding a quart of ATF help the issue any?

No, but I think you should go buy some Marvel Mystery Oil and add a quart of that to it. Then change the oil after about 500 miles.

1) Clean as much gunk off that you can by hand and scraper, whatever. Replace your valve cover with a new gasket.

2) Remove the oil pan and clean it as well, reinstall the pan. Make sure you clean the oil pickup if it's dirty.

3) Take a trip to Wally World, get three cheap ST oil filters, three gallons of cheap ST oil, and a gallon of MMO.

4) Do three short 500 mile OCIs with a quart of MMO in each fill, and replace the filter each time. Cut open the filter each time to track the progress of how much is being cleaned.

5) After it's cleaned up use a good syn oil for 5k OCIs and sleep well.

Good luck
smile.gif

PS- Don't use the ATF.

I'm not as much of an expert as those who have already commented, I know more about prevention than cure, but my two cents are:

pull the head and clean as much as you can.
No to ATF.
do several short change intervals with PYB

I'm curious why nobody has suggested dropping the pan after the first cycle. Once this stuff starts to break up, we could be looking at a seriously clogged pick up screen leading to oil starvation. - oh, hatetowork just posted this, glad to see someone else on top of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Good news that its running great. That tells me its likely a PCV issue.

Check your PCV and make sure it does not have a coolant leak.
Could you explain exactly how to determine this? Other than a used oil analysis, is there any other way to determine if the PCV is working properly, and/or the vehicle has a coolant leak?

Personally, I'm a fan of PYB, but this is where the whole "marketing [censored]" confuses me. lol. The latest PYB bottles state 40% sludge removal after the "first oil change" - with a footnote/asterisk notating the use of 5W-30 if I recall correctly...from their website; BUT, nowhere does it state how long the oil and filter should be ran. I'm "presuming" for 4k...? Since that is what their "lubrication guarantee" is for....but I think I'd be very afraid of running even 3k with that build up.

So.....to answer your question, "how long should the oil be ran before changing" - that may be a good question for the guys at SOPUS/Pennzoil
smile.gif
Perhaps a sponsor will chime in?
smile.gif

Certainly, I wouldn't recommend a long OCI with that sludge of a mess......I'd fear of it getting "cleaned up" and landing somewhere else, clogging an oil passage, etc....

As far as methods of attacking this beast; you already have it off the car right? I'd try a kerosene soak.....or hit up dexknows or your local yellow pages and see if there's any local shops that specialize in "chem soaks" - since you already got it assembled, may as well attack it chemically while it's dismantled. Then once you tame it down, try a run with PYB and MMO or AutoRX or the like.

I've read a lot about ARX, but I think this is a job for a harsher solvent cleaning, and for that I'm thinking the MMO may work here.....once you get the sludge tamed down, you could try a run or two of Auto RX if you got the money for it. But MMO is cheap, and easy to use....all it takes is 20% MMO in the crankcase. So if your car takes 5 quarts, add 4 quarts of motor oil, and 1 quart of MMO.

I guess I would say its more of a "soft" sludge, but I'm no expert.
smile.gif

what he's referring to, is if the sludge is "hard" like as in, burned cake to the bottom of an ungreased cake pan
smile.gif
Or is it more of a "jelly like" substance, i.e.; you can poke it, etc...

Quote:
What exactly is happening to this stuff once the engine is up to temp? I mean, does it breakdown at all and circulate, or is it simply staying a mountain of sludge?
That's a good question.....and one that I'm not too sure of. It all comes down to the previous q/a though, whether it's a "soft" sludge, or a "hard" sludge....gunked up, etc. My guess, if it's a "hard" sludge, i.e. you touch it, and your finger doesn't go "through" the sludge, it may just stay where it's at.....BUT the problem lies if you go the solvent route at this point in time. Add solvent, combined with the heat, the solvent will make that sludge start circulating through the engine, and eventually stuck in the filter, so the sludge will eventually "recirculate" - but really, that's what you want it to do, you need it OUT of there and that's the only way, other than getting a chem dump of those innerds with some mineral spirits or acetone or something...
Quote:
As far as changing the oil again, how much driving should I do in between oil and filter changes?
See my Pennzoil/SOPUS comment above
smile.gif
they say removal of 45% sludge after the first OCI......but I'm thinking by OCI, they are talking 3-4k with the oil in the crankcase....but personally, I would change the oil sooner than that. And make sure you let the car heat all the way up for at least 10 minutes so before turning off the engine in the event of unburned fuel getting into the oil, etc...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
No on the ATF.

MMO still is my suggestion. Personally I'd use it over Auto-RX. Both for cost and I'd want to clean it up slowly.

+1 on the slowly with something that dissolves and doesn't dislodge large chunks. And I wouldn't plan long trips, stick around town until you get that under control. I see plugged oil filters in your future, so 1k with MMO max.

Please be sure to get us some after pics! You have the perfect before pics, so let's get the perfect after pics
grin2.gif

Holy lord that's filthy!

I'd carry around an extra filter and wrench while you are doing the therapy for the sludge. Cleaning the oil pan as previously stated is a good thing too, while making sure the oil pickup is clear.

Originally Posted By: kevinf
I'm curious why nobody has suggested dropping the pan after the first cycle. Once this stuff starts to break up, we could be looking at a seriously clogged pick up screen leading to oil starvation. - oh, hatetowork just posted this, glad to see someone else on top of it.

Because if using MMO i cleans dissolves slowly hence the no large clumps.

Kerosene or Diesel Fuel.

Seriously.

If you have a good strong shop vac, start scraping some of that crud off the areas you can see and vacuum it up.

Then, drain any oil that is in the engine out.

Start pouring kerosene or diesel over the valvetrain slowly, letting it work at removing the sludge. You can do the same with Varsol, though Diesel and Kero have SOME lubricity, Varsol does not. You can use a paint brush while doing this to remove it faster. I'd put a good 8+L of it in there. Maybe more. You want to FILL the oil pan with Kerosene/Diesel. Let it soak overnight. Drain the pan the next day.

This will also clean the oil pick-up screen. And about the only way you are going to be able to do that without pulling the pan.

I would then fill put in the regular amount of the cheapest 5w30 available, start it up, let it get up to operating temperature. But DO NOT DRIVE IT.

Drain this oil, put on a new filter, and fill it with a good conventional 5w30 like Mobil Clean, PYB, Valvoline WB...etc. And do short OCI's.

This thing is a [censored] mess, and the odd thing is, it runs great. No smoking, ticking, knocks or other noises from the engine. It just purrs along!

This is why I cringe when people say, "I used X oil and never had a problem so X oil is great!" (I know you aren't saying that, I've just heard it often)

They don't understand that lack of catastrophic breakdown is no way to evaluate an oil's performance (this engine is a case in point).

I would use physical removal of as much sludge as possible to clean this up. I'd open it up an get in everywhere you can. When I cleaned my BMW's sludge I removed as much as possible by hand from above and below (oil pan removed) and sprayed out a lot with brake cleaner. Then followed that up with lots of rinses of light oil to get all the brake cleaner out. And then use a chemical in the oil such as auto -rx to help with what you can't get to.

By FAR the worst pics I've ever seen here.
I am a fan of MMO so buy a quart of that stuff, put it in with fresh whatever oil, and drive it for about 500-1000 miles. Change everything out again, and repeat. After than, go Platinum 5w30 for 3k run and change. Then do an UOA and report back.

since everyone has an opinion, here's mine: most of the responses are delusional. Yeah, a little MMO and some filter changes and you'll be fine....

I think you'd have to pull of the oil pan about 5 or 6 times just to clean the pickup screen once that stuff starts to break up. I really think your best bet is just to take care of it. Pull the cylinder head and soak it in solvent, soak the bottom half of the engine and drain it, then pull the oil pan and manually clean as much as possible, then put it all back together. THEN run a couple of short 1K OCI's with a high detergent oil, then move on with your life.

Something like this guy did here.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Kerosene or Diesel Fuel.

Seriously.

If you have a good strong shop vac, start scraping some of that crud off the areas you can see and vacuum it up.

Then, drain any oil that is in the engine out.

Start pouring kerosene or diesel over the valvetrain slowly, letting it work at removing the sludge. You can do the same with Varsol, though Diesel and Kero have SOME lubricity, Varsol does not. You can use a paint brush while doing this to remove it faster. I'd put a good 8+L of it in there. Maybe more. You want to FILL the oil pan with Kerosene/Diesel. Let it soak overnight. Drain the pan the next day.

This will also clean the oil pick-up screen. And about the only way you are going to be able to do that without pulling the pan.

I would then fill put in the regular amount of the cheapest 5w30 available, start it up, let it get up to operating temperature. But DO NOT DRIVE IT.

Drain this oil, put on a new filter, and fill it with a good conventional 5w30 like Mobil Clean, PYB, Valvoline WB...etc. And do short OCI's.

Short of doing what I suggested, I think this is the next-best idea.

My truck was worse than that when I bought it. You'll need a shop vacuum, a hook/pick set, screwdrivers and scrapers and plenty of patience to clean it out. Also make sure you clean out the oil drain holes in the head so the oil will drain down into the crankcase properly. Afterwards, you will need to change the oil. In my instance, I drained the oil out stuck the plug back in and poured diesel fuel in it, drained it out, filtered the diesel fuel back into a jug and did this several times until it came out clear. Afterwards, a few oil changes using an entire quart of MMO, then a few oil changes using seafoam. It's not an overnight cleansing by any means. I hear that AutoRx is good stuff, but I never tried it. MMO in the beginning and Seafoam in the end did it for me. Also, you will need to cut open your oil filter each time to do the analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back