slimming down xp,erased a vital file...

Status
Not open for further replies.
while deleting some system32 drivers(something like that) i accidently deleted ntfs.sys. my comp won't boot now,all it goes to is a black screen with a message stating that this file is missing. how can i reinstall this driver? i tried going into safe mode,but no dice. can i just burn a copy of this driver onto a disc,then see if the comp takes it? xp home

The easiest way is to find another computer that has the same version of XP (WinXP Service Pack 2), plug your hard drive into that computer, copy NTFS.SYS over, then plug your drive back into your computer. It should then boot fine if this is the only file that's missing.

I thought NTFS.SYS was part of the system recovery ??

copy / paste if you yank the hdd

if not, drop it on a flash drive root directory, boot from the install disk and go into recovery mode. you can use the copy command to get it back.

Unsure but....

Doth XP have a "self repair" feature wherein you place the CD-ROM holding the O/S into the cupholder then re-boot? Yah' gotta' start the machine to allow the cupholder to open so the CD can be inserted, of course.

Doing that, if it works, would be the easiest way, I would thunk, to make XP do as a good XP should.

Put the file on a floppy and boot into the repair console off the XP CD. You can then copy the file from the floppy to the hard drive via command line.

"via command line"

GEEK ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/shuffles off jealous of others DOS abilities

When things like this happen, I remove the HD, make it a slave drive and attach it to a different computer. Then I can do either of two things - backup my files, or try to recover the missing files.

Sometimes recovering the files is not the best approach as more than one file may be missing. In these cases you have to reinstall the whole thing from scratch.

next time deffinitely use a utility, don't go deleting random files in the windows folder
smile.gif

I tried hooking it up to an emachines t8242. the ribbon states "master" and the end of it states "slave". I hooked it up to there,and when the comp boots, it says "no operating system found" my hdd does not have the "jumper clip" to designate as a slave or master.what now?

I've never seen or heard of a PATA HDD without the master/slave jumper. It's usually between the power and IDE connectors.

When it boots up, go into BIOS setup and see if it's detecting any drives. I'm guessing right now you have both HDDs set to be Master, so the BIOS just disregards both of them.

I set the 2nd hdd to slave and it took. so now,i find the driver in the master hdd,then drag it over to the slave hdd? will it fall into its place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back