Sil Glyde silicone base grease ok for nylon+rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one know the applications for this. I think it is really aimed at brake applications but I wanted to know if it cold be used for the bushings in my VW Golf. I believe that some bushings are nylon some are rubber and some are plastic.

Also do you think it will have enough resistance to force? timkin ratings?

Well, I couldn't find a data sheet on the 'net, so I'm doing this from memory. My memory is NOT what it used to be, so don't quote me on any of this.

I'd bet that Timken loads won't be very good if it was rated at all. I'd bet it's never seen a Timken test as silicone based grease like Sil-Glide just isn't made for bearings - it's primarily made for lubricating non-silicone rubber. (And some silicone rubbers are amazingly silicone oil/grease resistant, as was brought up in response to another silicone rubber post I'd replied to.)

Should be fine for your rubber bushings, but I'd see what VW recommends for the application to be safe. My opinion is that bushing service isn't that stressing on grease.

I cannot find a compatibility table, but I'd guess that it would be okay on nylon as well. Again, I'd check with VW and see what they recommend. Do they recommend a silicone grease?

later,
b

Actually they recommend their cv joint grease for these , but I was concerned about the fact that it would attract too much dirt.

It is a liqui Moly MoS2 product but the VW part number is g000602
also interestingly the tube that it comes in has the company "Febi" printed on it.

So do you think a moly based grease is ok with nylon and rubber?

Thanks Moribundman!

So the product is indeed a moly based grease?

Can any of you recommend a moly based product that you might find at NAPA or another chain store?

The company is Liqui Moly. Their products are often called Lubro Moly, for example their line of engine oils, or they called "LM"-something. The "Moly" is just part of the company and product name and not indicative of the presence of moly in any of the products.

Many Liqui Moly products, for example their MoS2 grease, certainly do contain moly. One popular moly grease that Liqui Moly makes is LM 47 MoS2. I use it frequently. Excuse the filthy cap.
wink.gif

lm47.jpg

Sil-Glyde is for applications like brake caliper pins/bushings. I have seen it used quite a bit on polyurethane bushings to keep them from squeaking.

I use silicone grease on all my rubber bushings...normal grease makes them swell or get googy/sticky.

I wonder??????? if this stuff would be the ticket to bushing nirvana:

http://www.bendixbrakes.com/products/otherPremium.php

It it is a "dry" boundary type lube, synthetic, and safe for rubber and plastic. The boundary part meaning (I think) that there are tiny ceramic marbles that continue to lubricate even if the carrier disappears. Unlike Sta-lube, which is less than 3% moly, the Ceram lube is 30% solids.

Here is the parent company with more info:

http://www.ceramlub.com/index.html (also check their paste lube)

The Bendix product is available on line and supposedly Advanced Auto might start stocking it (they can order it).

I have both the Paste lube and Ceram Lube. Dabbed some on my hand and they simply would not wash off under water....amazing.

It's not easy to find or cheap, but it has worked well on everything that I have used it on. I won't use anything else now. I had to get it on line. Don't remember where (couple of years ago) but I'm sure a search will bring it up.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
It's not easy to find or cheap, but it has worked well on everything that I have used it on. I won't use anything else now. I had to get it on line. Don't remember where (couple of years ago) but I'm sure a search will bring it up.

Autobarn.net has it. Permatex ceramic extreme lubricant should be very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back