Sienna 2013 XLE AWD

Good Sat Day Afternoon BITOG'ers,

I picked up a 2013 Sienna XLE AWD with 230k miles locally.
I wanted something with AWD/4WD to fish over winter from the shore.

I have gone over the service history (done as a private auto service place),
New Tranny, new bear diffy, VVTI sensor.

I took it to Toyota and had then drain fill the trans with ATFWS, cost $248 (ouch).

I like the vehicle but it has a bunch of noises I can't explain and I am going to have to investigate.

Drained and filled the front tfr case myself and drained and filled the engine oil with syn 0w20.
Could not get the filter cannister off with the tools I had.

I bought the special tool off amazon, I am going to give it shot again.

PS: I went out on a 6k miles I-80 west ward all the way to Santa Cruz and then back to MI via Socal (Rancho Co) and Grand Canyon > Boulder CO > Iowa City, IA > MI

Been out playing tennis with youngest D and friends, trying not to sit at computer after work.

Last edited:
I had 2015!
So in transfer case I used Redline 75W90 as well as rear diff.
In transmission, I used Motul ATF VI. Really shifted nicely after that.

As for noises, get ready. My wife, being from Chicago, called that van a: CTA. She thought amount of noises equals subway in Chicago.

But, on thing you REALLY want to pay attention to: liftgate! Make sure you do not have any obstacles when closing liftgate. If liftgate hits something sturdy that won't budge, the hinges, which apparently are made out of paper that resembles steel, will bend and that adventure in a dealership will cost you $3,200 for the liftgate alone, before labor. Even if you find used etc, it will be expensive. So, be aware!
Here is how that looks after the liftgate hit the bike rack:
Sienna bend liftgate.jpg

Using my phone to post
Pics of first oil
Change
Drained 5.5 qts
8k miles on oil most likely

Attachments

• IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5778.jpeg
    IMG_5778.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 15
I had 2015!
So in transfer case I used Redline 75W90 as well as rear diff.
In transmission, I used Motul ATF VI. Really shifted nicely after that.

As for noises, get ready. My wife, being from Chicago, called that van a: CTA. She thought amount of noises equals subway in Chicago.

But, on thing you REALLY want to pay attention to: liftgate! Make sure you do not have any obstacles when closing liftgate. If liftgate hits something sturdy that won't budge, the hinges, which apparently are made out of paper that resembles steel, will bend and that adventure in a dealership will cost you $3,200 for the liftgate alone, before labor. Even if you find used etc, it will be expensive. So, be aware!
Here is how that looks after the liftgate hit the bike rack:
View attachment 194502
CTA is accurate
Lol
I avoid using the auto lift gate, good to know
I have folding chairs etc sticking out sometimes, need to be careful
Thanks !

I took it to Toyota and had then drain fill the trans with ATFWS, cost $248 (ouch).

I like the vehicle but it has a bunch of noises I can't explain and I am going to have to investigate.

Drained and filled the front tfr case myself and drained and filled the engine oil with syn 0w20.

PS: I went out on a 6k miles I-80 west ward all the way to Santa Cruz and then back to MI via Socal (Rancho Co) and Grand Canyon > Boulder CO > Iowa City, IA > MI

Been out playing tennis with youngest D and friends, trying not to sit at computer after work.
Wow you ventured into the people's republic? (Boulder Colorado). The local joke is that everyone there has more dollars than sense. I worked in Boulder for many years, some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever met.

Hope it serves you well. That vehicle (Same year and trim ironically enough) saved my father in the beginning of 2014 when a habitual no-license driver rear ended him and a handful of other cars at almost 60 mph. He walked away. But you could see how well that van absorbed the impact and transferred it around him. I’ll try to find the photos

Wow you ventured into the people's republic? (Boulder Colorado). The local joke is that everyone there has more dollars than sense. I worked in Boulder for many years, some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever met.
I like the food options in boulder, breadworks bakery and cafe rocked.
The good Lord has blessed us with especial People, they are everywhere 😂

Last edited:
Hope it serves you well. That vehicle (Same year and trim ironically enough) saved my father in the beginning of 2014 when a habitual no-license driver rear ended him and a handful of other cars at almost 60 mph. He walked away. But you could see how well that van absorbed the impact and transferred it around him. I’ll try to find the photos
Wow, good to hear ur dad was not hurt, yes pics pls.

Made my 2nd
Attempt
At taking off the oil filter
Canister.

My breaker bar was bending quite a bit. The canister would not
Budge.
I am throwing in the towel, I will head to Toyota and see
What they can do.

Engine bay:
Looks like it needs a good soak.

I see a lot of salt, anything tips ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_144257171_HDR_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240101_144257171_HDR_Original.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240101_144408001_HDR_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240101_144408001_HDR_Original.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 19
Some kinda gasket sealer goop
I think the independent repair shop where the previous owner did oil changes royally messed it
Up
did they use that as the oil housing gasket would be my concern? I wouldnt touch it, let a good mechanic at this.

I have the same van but mine is a 2105, 106k. I have changed all the fluids and added a 2" lift and +1 Mich Defenders. Use mine mostly for camping and have removed all the rear seating.

Back