Should UCLs be used with each tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Redline's SI-1 contains a UCL, unlike Regane and Techron. Some people laud SI-1 on that fact alone. Obviously keeping the upper area of the motor lubed is a good thing, but why bother with SI-1 over anything else if the UCL and its associated properties will be gone quickly?

Does one need to use UCL with each tank to maintain those benefits? One kind of "one-time" benefits does a UCL offer?

Would DI engines enjoy any benefits from a UCL?

Last edited:
Every engine can use a good UCL, it reduces friction and provides some protection. It would be very expensive to fill up every tank with SI-1, agreed. I don't care what they say but most if not all effects of lubrication is gone by the second tank. Therefore to maintain good UCL practices it is probably most cost effective to use a maintenance dose of MMO. I have been noticing good things in my Altima (less injector "chatter", slightly elevated MPG. I have been using the MMO in the DI Sonata I have too.

RL Si-1 is probably one of the top Fuel system cleaners/UCL's out there but too expensive to use more than once per OCI.

MMO is probably the best bet for maintenance. (IMO and experience so far.

What I'm saying is, ignoring the obvious cleaning effects of SI-1, does a temporary dose of UCL have any long-lasting effects?

Even though an UCL could be beneficial, many vehicles go 300K without ever using any.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What I'm saying is, ignoring the obvious cleaning effects of SI-1, does a temporary dose of UCL have any long-lasting effects?

Probably short-term, but eventually with ethanol in fuels at the ratios they are currently it will quickly be lost...just the feel I get right now anyway.

An UCL lube is one of those things that makes a minimal difference, and it wont be there for more than a gallon or two after you stop adding the UCL.

If it makes you happy, add it, but unless you are keeping the car till its on its last leg, you will never see the 5k miles using an UCL over its whole life will probably get you.

The only thing you will really feel in the long term is a lighter wallet and that warm fuzzy feeling you get from knowing you are giving your car "the best".

its just my 2 cents though
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Every engine can use a good UCL, it reduces friction and provides some protection. It would be very expensive to fill up every tank with SI-1, agreed. I don't care what they say but most if not all effects of lubrication is gone by the second tank. Therefore to maintain good UCL practices it is probably most cost effective to use a maintenance dose of MMO. I have been noticing good things in my Altima (less injector "chatter", slightly elevated MPG. I have been using the MMO in the DI Sonata I have too.

RL Si-1 is probably one of the top Fuel system cleaners/UCL's out there but too expensive to use more than once per OCI.

MMO is probably the best bet for maintenance. (IMO and experience so far.

I think Chubbs nailed it!

As far as DI engines go, I don't think a UCL is going to fight off intake valve deposits. The cleaner would have to be fed via a vacuum line. I think an Inverse Oiler is the way to go for DI engines. JMO

Originally Posted By: Brenden
The only thing you will really feel in the long term is a lighter wallet

Well that lighter wallet might increase the MPG!

Red Line claims a bottle can treat up to 100 gallons, and SI-1 bottles used to have graduated markings for adding a maintenance dose. Their website has a detailed brochure under "Technical Info," but it doesn't say much about lubrication.

I would think UCL needs to be added to every tank for any sort of consistent benefits.

Well I have a 1993 Mazda with 332k miles on it - original fuel pump, injectors etc, (clutch & rotors too), so the 2-3 year period that I used UCL more frequently has to have helped
wink.gif

Oh wait, my mom drives a '92 Nissan with 300k+ miles and has the same results without any UCL use.

Use it often enough to keep the warm, fuzzy feeling and you and your vehicle will be fine
smile.gif

The other benefit I've heard of the UCL, is that if dirt WERE to get into the tank, the "oil" would help "carry" the dirt through the combustion chamber to be incinerated
wink.gif

I've always done a dose of either Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL or Chevron Techron every year, and in between I'll use various concentrations of MMO or TCW-3...

never had any problems with the fuel, bad gas, etc....

Is an upper cylinder lube a cure looking for a disease? Has anyone actually measured any difference in engine wear with or without a UCL?

I’ve been using a 50/50 mix of both Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner and Pennzoil Marine Semi-Synthetic TC-W3 at each fill up. I use 3 ounces of each premixed and stored in used and emptied Gumout/Regane fuel system cleaner bottles. When it comes time to fill up….I just empty the contents into the gas tank and fill-er-up. IMO…helps to fight off the harmful drying effects of Ethanol in the fuel. It also has helped with MPG only with non-winter blend gasoline. Engine runs smooth and the TC-W3 burns ash less and clean.

No problems to report and the mix is nice and cheap when you get the Chevron Techron on a 2 for 1 sale and the Pennzoil Marine TC-W3 at the summer year end clearance rack at Wal-Mart. I just mix up a batch for filling the emptied containers by using an empty MMO bottle and adding 16 ounces of Chevron and 16 ounces of TC-W3. Shake and mix well and store in the garage. When the 6 ounce bottles are all empty, fill them back up with the stored mix and you’re back in business.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Is an upper cylinder lube a cure looking for a disease? Has anyone actually measured any difference in engine wear with or without a UCL?

Most people report a 50% increase in warm-fuzzy feeling.

I use either 131 or mmo in each tank..MMO does smooth it out in the gas/diesels/motorcycles.

Heck, I throw stabil in at times...

Yup! It's that warm+fuzzy feeling that keeps your wallet light and MMO (the name marvel mystery oil never seize to amuse me all these decades though, should be registered under Ripley's believe it or not section) will keep you driving happy.

Me? never into believing the benefits of UCL in all the gasoline automobiles I've serviced/owned and or still maintained so far (have a clientele list of 15 vehicles at this point in time).

cumulative mileage is over 1.5mil miles.

Q.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Ken2

Most people report a 50% increase in warm-fuzzy feeling.

Especially in an older car when it actually does smooth out a rough idle. TCW3 does a pretty good job of doing just that. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back