Should I worry about element size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased several different oil filters for my Jeep Compass (2.4L) and cut them open to examine the internals. I bought a FRAM, SuperTech, Purolator, STP, and a NAPA Gold. As I'm sure most are aware, the Purolator, STP, and SuperTech are exactly the same filter, so at this point in time, I'm basically looking at three different filter applications available for my Compass.

Always hearing how good NAPA Gold filters are (were), I must say I was very suprised how small their filtering element is compared to the others. Actually, the FRAM was the largest. Understanding all the gripes about FRAM, I'm just wondering if I should avoid the NAPA Gold because of how small the element is. I didn't measure them yet, but I would estimate the NAPA's element is at least half as tall as the others. Considering that I paid $7.26 for the NAPA, and only $2.42 for the SuperTech, I'm thinking that picking up two additional NAPA's already was a big mistake.

Hmm are you sure the Purolator and the ST are the same filter? I wasn't aware of any product overlap between Purolator and Champ. The 3/4-16 filters aren't low movers.
confused.gif

I won't say that "size doesn't matter" ..but there are surely reasons that the various filters may "require" more media to "meet or exceed OEM requirements". The media may be of a cheaper grade and although it may have the holding capacity, it may not filter to the same level on a ^2" vs. ^2" basis (suggested explanation).

..that being said, all of them are decent filters. The Fram, naturally, offering the least value for your money.

The NAPA Gold/WIX main selling point is its construction. Excellent filter in those terms. Filtration, imo, is average ..but appears tailored to the application.

If you desire finer filtration, I would recommend the PureOne in the Purolator line, M1 in the Champion line, and, if you're into extended usage or demand the best full flow filtration, the Amsoil EaO line ..with PureOne being cheap enough to "just get" for the couple a bucks more. The next steps up are steep and don't make as much sense in all applications for all users.

Gary,

Yup, the Purolator (PN: L12222) and SuperTech (PN: ST10060) are identical. The black rubber ADBV's are each stamped with "AAX". The top's of the filter are each stamped with "ZZ", and every other component is identical. Even the date code/place of manufacture stamp is the same (format). The only difference at all that is even slightly significant is a slight diffence in the color of the paper element. The SuperTech's appears to be a little bit thinner and darker than either the Purolator or STP.

ZiTS

Quote:

Gary,

Yup, the Purolator (PN: L12222) and SuperTech (PN: ST10060) are identical. The black rubber ADBV's are each stamped with "AAX". The top's of the filter are each stamped with "ZZ", and every other component is identical. Even the date code/place of manufacture stamp is the same (format). The only difference at all that is even slightly significant is a slight diffence in the color of the paper element. The SuperTech's appears to be a little bit thinner and darker than either the Purolator or STP.

ZiTS

Interesting
confused.gif

It appears that they switched from the traditional 3/4-16 thread to a M22x1.5 thread for 2007. This may be why all three identical.

These are relatively new filters. It's the same thread as the new GM spin-on with a bypass valve.

I just install a Amsoil 057 on an 03 Toyota Sequioa w/ 4.7 V8.

The OEM oil filter 90915-YZZD-3 is much larger.

Should I be concerned?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back