Should I dump it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Did you try ARX-ing it a few times?

No need for that, I'm gonna replace the oil pump this summer which comes with a new front seal and change the oil pan gasket, cam seals, Timing belt and water pump again while I'm in there, tune it up new filters, And a fresh coat of paint. We wont hardly be driving it after that, The wife's afraid somethings gonna happen to it as it was her grandmothers and it's really only thing she has of hers.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Get it rust-proofed too... Good way to keep it in great condition, especially with fresh paint.

Thanks I'll look into that. I normally wouldn't bother with such an old vehicle but the wife wants to keep it looking nice.

Any tips to keep the paint from peeling again? It was repainted about 6 years ago and whoever did it for her grandmother did a nice job but it started peeling again about a year ago.

Have it taken down to the bare metal, primed, painted, then clear coated. Let it fully dry out for a week or so and then take it to be rust-proofed. This will help to displace any water inside the metal crevises "behind" the painted metal surfaces and will keep it from peeling.

We have a great place up here called Krown and their product is top-notch stuff that I have applied every year. You don't have this in the US but you have Ziebart and they are good nowadays.

Where in KY are you? I have friends outside of Florence.

After it's undercoated/rust-proofed, let it drip for a week, then take it for a really good car-wash with a good wax. The body and paint should last a long time. Get the rust-proofing applied yearly if you drive it regularly or every 2-2.5 years if not.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be doing all the work myself. I don't like people touching my stuff unless it's an a alignment or exhaust, Then it's only because I don't have the equipment to do it myself. But I can take all the time I need to make sure it's painted right, Plus I already have most of the tools I need to do it and a place to work. So why not.

I live in morehead about 130 some miles from florence.

They are between Florence and Cincinnati. I visit them every summer for 2 weeks, and we have a blast in the Kentucky humidity!

Newport on the levy is really neat, and the aquarium is really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back